[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I just can't help myself

rajncajn

Every year, no matter what, I always wait too long to take a QB in my local. This year is no exception. I just can't seem to resist that temptation to pass on reaching a few picks to get one of 3-4 QB's when there are such valuable skill players still available. This year, picking in the 11 spot (12 team), I just passed on Schaub, RG III, Cutler & Dalton in the 5-6th turnaround to take Bradshaw & Vincent Jackson. 20 picks from now I have a feeling none of those guys will be there even though everyone else has already secured a starting QB. Anybody else do this or have some bad draft habit you just can't break?

Every year, no matter what, I always wait too long to take a QB in my local. This year is no exception. I just can't seem to resist that temptation to pass on reaching a few picks to get one of 3-4 QB's when there are such valuable skill players still available. This year, picking in the 11 spot (12 team), I just passed on Schaub, RG III, Cutler & Dalton in the 5-6th turnaround to take Bradshaw & Vincent Jackson. 20 picks from now I have a feeling none of those guys will be there even though everyone else has already secured a starting QB. Anybody else do this or have some bad draft habit you just can't break?

In Better Luck Next Year (16 team league), Scooby and I share a team. It is 4 pt/passing TD and we never go QB early. We always seem to get stuck in the QB vortex b/c of this strategy. This year, we got stuck with Cutler.

My question is why is Dalton the best QB available at the 5th and 6th turnaround, did they go super early? And if you can get guys like Bradshaw and Jackson there than I think it's worth the wait. Just draft a guy like Russel Wilson and you should be fine.

My question is why is Dalton the best QB available at the 5th and 6th turnaround, did they go super early? And if you can get guys like Bradshaw and Jackson there than I think it's worth the wait. Just draft a guy like Russel Wilson and you should be fine.

Yeah, QB's go very early. One owner even took two already :rolleyes:

1.04 Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB

1.06 Brees, Drew NOS QB

1.07 Brady, Tom NEP QB

1.08 Newton, Cam CAR QB

1.09 Manning, Eli NYG QB

1.12 Stafford, Matthew DET QB

2.04 Manning, Peyton DEN QB

2.10 Roethlisberger, Ben PIT QB

3.01 Ryan, Matt ATL QB

3.05 Rivers, Philip SDC QB

3.10 Romo, Tony DAL QB

4.11 Vick, Michael PHI QB

I hate when I'm waiting on QBs and notice that everyone already has 1 so I feel like it's safe to wait it out, and then a couple owners grab a second waaay too early. My biggest problem is in auctions, where I wait too long to spend money; I can never bring myself to spend like 25-30% of my cash on one player.

1.06 Brees, Drew NOS QB

1.07 Brady, Tom NEP QB

1.08 Newton, Cam CAR QB

1.09 Manning, Eli NYG QB

3.01 Ryan, Matt ATL QB

3.10 Romo, Tony DAL QB

Wow 6 QBs in the first round, and somebody drafting 2 before 5-6 rounds are complete, pretty wild. Why would people be drafting a backup QB when they still need starters at RB/WR/TE, I've never understood that. I can kind of understand building RB/WR depth and waiting on a starting QB (especially once most teams have them). Every year we have 1-2 owners not protect a QB (5 keepers), and they rarely go for one in the first rew rounds since nobody else needs one.

Waited until pick #58 (6.08) to take my QB, after going RB WR WR RB RB. Of the "big 3", QB always seems to be the one spot I wait to pick as well. Here are the QBs taken ahead of me this year (10 team snake redraft). QB scoring is 4pt passing TD, 1 pt / 25 yards, 1 pt / 10 rush yards, 6 pt rush TD.

1.01 Aaron Rodgers

1.05 Tom Brady

1.07 Drew Brees

1.10 Cam Newton

2.09 Matthew Stafford

4.05 Eli Manning

6.02 Philip Rivers

6.07 Tony Romo

ETA: I was not the last one to take a QB, and none of the above picks are a 2nd QB for the owner.

Edited by lennykravitz2004

I'm usually one to grab one early. Stud QB's get fantasy teams into the playoffs. But my draft also had 6 go in the first 13 picks, so I was content to wait around for Manning/Schaub a bit later. Low and behold, they go in the 3rd/4th. I ended up having to take RGIII and Luck and gamble that one of them is going to be extremely productive.

Finally went with Schaub over Cutler at 8.2 after taking Torrey Smith (who I'm high on this year) at 7.11. RG III went a few picks ahead of me. Next round I'll probably do the same taking a skill player & QB.

Edited by rajncajn

1.06 Brees, Drew NOS QB

1.07 Brady, Tom NEP QB

1.08 Newton, Cam CAR QB

1.09 Manning, Eli NYG QB

3.01 Ryan, Matt ATL QB

3.10 Romo, Tony DAL QB

Are QBs more important in this particular league based on your scoring system. If so you have to revise your thinking. If not then you are ahead of the game by waiting.

I also ended up waiting on a QB & took Big Ben with the 6.03 (#53 overall). Rodgers went 1.04, Brady @ 2.04, Brees @ 2.05, Newton @ 3.02, & Stafford @ 3.03. After going with Lynch in the 1st (1.08) & Forte in the 2nd (2.03), and the top 5 guys already off the board I figured I'd wait a few rounds & try to nab Matt Ryan. That didn't work out as he was taken @ 5.01. Tony Romo then went @ 6.01 & Eli Manning went right before my next pick. Rothlisberger wasn't who I wanted, but I guess I could've done worse.

1.06 Brees, Drew NOS QB

1.07 Brady, Tom NEP QB

1.08 Newton, Cam CAR QB

1.09 Manning, Eli NYG QB

3.01 Ryan, Matt ATL QB

3.10 Romo, Tony DAL QB

This is very similar to my local. I took Stafford at 1.11

Are QBs more important in this particular league based on your scoring system. If so you have to revise your thinking. If not then you are ahead of the game by waiting.

Not really. They actually only get 4 points per TD pass.

I hate when I'm waiting on QBs and notice that everyone already has 1 so I feel like it's safe to wait it out, and then a couple owners grab a second waaay too early.

This happened to me. By the time I picked in the 6th round everyone had a QB except me. Peyton and Romo were still there so I figured I could wait at least another round. Peyton was taken right after my 6th round pick and Romo went right before my 7th round pick. At that point I waited until round 13 and took Shaub and followed that with Freeman in the 14th. I guess it could be worse.

I thought about it after the fact but should have put $10 in a pot for "last longer" to taking a QB. 3 of us were holding out in my draft yesterday (10 teams). I cracked in Rd 7 and took Matt Ryan. Another guy made it to Rd 9 with Vick. The "winner" held out till Rd 11 with RGIII but he follwed up with Ben in Rd 12

In my local this is how each draft position drafted (position wise) in the first 5 rounds:

01 - RB, RB, QB, TE, DF - didn't draft 1st WR until round 6

02 - RB, QB, WR, WR, TE - took Witten in the 5th, Mathews in the 6th

03 - WR, WR, RB, WR, RB - passed on McCoy for Calvin Johnson in the 1st, took his QB in the 6th round (Peyton Manning)

04 - RB, WR, WR, TE, QB - 1st WR was Brandon Marshall? Vernon Davis before Aaron Hernandez.

05 - QB, RB, WR, TE, WR - Rodgers with his first, Forte with his second!

06 - RB, WR, RB, WR, QB - Chris Johnson in the first, MJD in the 3rd, Eli Manning in the 5th

07 - RB, WR, WR, WR, TE - Tony Gonzalez in the 5th, Frank Gore in the 6th

08 - QB, WR, RB, WR, WR - Lynch in the 3rd, Bradshaw in the 6th

09 - QB, WR, TE, RB, RB - Gates in the 3rd, Richardson in the 4th, Turner in the 5th

10 - WR, WR, RB, QB, WR - Vick in the 4th, Austin in the 5th, Bush in the 6th

11 - TE, WR, WR, WR, QB - Matt Ryan in the 5th, 1st RB in the 7th - Hillis, followed by Greene in the 7th

12 - RB, TE, RB, WR, WR - Lloyd in the 5th as WR2, Rivers in 6th

First draft in league history with so many QBs and TEs off the board so fast ...

Ditto on waiting! I wait all the time in all my leagues, to the point where everyone else knows it. I even had one guy take his 2nd QB in the 7th round just before my pick and said he was going to hold it over me for trade bait....... :whack: Granted, this team has not made the playoffs in several years in this league.. I took Big Ben in the 8th, with Freeman as the backup in the 10th.

The earliest I got a QB this year was in the 7th round in one league..... Romo fell to the 7.10 spot, and couldn't pass up the value there.......