[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Scab Officials and Bad Publicity Theory?

Cowboyz1

You think the NFL and the Owners are applying the "No such thing as Bad Publicity" theory when it comes to the scrub Officials. Think about it. First week of the season and the Patriots lose or the Saints lose on a series of bad calls. The Nation is gripped by a fury of tweets and posts calling for the officials heads on a platter. After all it's only one or a few games that will be effected. In the mean time they save a few bucks and get a much bigger bang for their advertising dollar. Everyone up in arms, ESPN, and all the sports networks talking about how bad the calls were. The NFL dominates headlines of missed calls determining outcomes of NFL games.

In the mean time while everyone is focused on the officiating, viewership rises as more and more people tune in to see just how f...up the calls can get.

I wouldn't put it passed them one bit. After all, until it actually costs someone high profile a game or two then they save money and get the added bonus of more visibility. In reality it's like calling the Geek squad to the stadium to fix the com links on the field just to save a few bucks on staffing.

On the other hand, the locked out Officials actually get a bonus in that they get recognized that their absence is noticeable and by shear coincidence instead of getting bashed they might actually be appreciated upon their return.

Basically, the NFL found a way to kick the players in the pills once again, while at the same time saving a couple a grand in the process.

Funny how the owners value their Billion dollar golden goose but hire mall guards to protect it...........

Edited by Cowboyz1
  • Like 1

Nice to see you branching out into wild & crazy threads covering topics other than the Cowboys.

I suppose anything is possible, but this is really just a simple labor dispute with management and workers far apart and not willing to budge. Financially for the refs this isn't their sole (or even primary) income, so they can survive. For management/owners they can easily find other refs (competent or not) to work the games from the ranks of college and other football officials. Probably pay them less, and will take some heat over it.

I do not see the NFL as getting any more publicity than it already does. Any negative publicity will only serve to crowd out good publicity. Yours is the craziest theory I have heard in some time, IMO.

Owners of teams in contention cannot aford a loss based on bad officiating. Owners out of contention have brand new multimillion dollar investments in Luck and RGIII and the like. They cannot afford to see those investments injured due to a slow whistle or the game getting out of control.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

Thursday night Jeff Fisher (rules committee guy forever) called the officials over to the sideline for what can only be described as a "rules clinic" several times. He was beyond furious, and this was preseason. So no, I don't think the NFL thinks this can be good publicity unless the scabs somehow go out week one and are close to perfect, which won't happen.

I love a good conspiracy theory, though, so good on 'ya!

Owners of teams in contention canot aford a loss based on bad officiating. Owners out of contention have brand new multimillion dollar investments in Luck and RGIII and the like. They cannot afford to see those investments injured due to a slow whistle or the game getting out of control.

But that is exactly what they are saying is they can afford to lose based on bad officiating. In fact, they seem to believe there is no drop off and are content to stand pat and let the scabs make or break their franchises. Otherwise they would be talking right up to game time. Funny how they just negotiated a Billion dollar labor deal then flinch on the equivalent of their electric bill for good officiating. Looks and smells like a power deal more then a money deal. I mean for what they spend on a commercial could end the labor dispute.

Putting a bad product on the field will not increase viewership. It will only lower the quality of the entertainment that we're paying for since people tune in to see athletes compete against each other, not to see officials change the score with their incompetence.

No way. The core of what you're saying is that the integrity of the game is perceived to have been damaged. And in the aftermath of last year's lockout, self inflicted no less. How the NFL has anything to gain via publicity of poor officiating resulting in a team getting jobbed is about the last thing they want.

• Like 1

No way. The core of what you're saying is that the integrity of the game is perceived to have been damaged. And in the aftermath of last year's lockout, self inflicted no less. How the NFL has anything to gain via publicity of poor officiating resulting in a team getting jobbed is about the last thing they want.

So it begs the questiong. Why? Why lock out officials when it would take a few extra bucks that is a pitence to make them happy?

So it begs the questiong. Why? Why lock out officials when it would take a few extra bucks that is a pitence to make them happy?

Because rich old white guys never give away a penny they don't have to, ever. And they can never look like they "gave in." They'll play brinksmanship until it becomes obvious they've gone too far, then it will get settled. It doesn't matter if it harms the league, they know we'll be back. We always come back.

They probably want to send a message to anybody who wants more money from them, that they are not giving one dollar away without a fight.

They probably want to send a message to anybody who wants more money from them, that they are not giving one dollar away without a fight.

STL fan posted:

Because rich old white guys never give away a penny they don't have to, ever. And they can never look like they "gave in." They'll play brinksmanship until it becomes obvious they've gone too far, then it will get settled. It doesn't matter if it harms the league, they know we'll be back. We always come back.

Once,Just once, I would love to see it blow up in their smug faces. I can't stand that the rich always find a way to stay that way even when they make stupid decisions out of greed. oh god just once let them pay for their arrogance...........

AMAT's CEO has it right. He is quoted as saying "everyone needs to make a little money". They pays fair dollar to their vendors in turn retains loyalty and quality from them. One of the most successful companys around. Most big companies grind the little guys to the point of starvation margins. He doesn't do that because a healthy vender is a strong ally that maintains quality, avoids shortcuts and invests in R&D. Smart guy.

I'm fine with it and it has to be done.

One sticking point is that the real refs don't want to give up their day jobs to become full-time officials. Full time officials will eventually make the league better once they are trained. Unfortunately it looks like they are going to have to start over will all new ones instead of the current ones getting "on-board"

I'm fine with it and it has to be done.

One sticking point is that the real refs don't want to give up their day jobs to become full-time officials. Full time officials will eventually make the league better once they are trained. Unfortunately it looks like they are going to have to start over will all new ones instead of the current ones getting "on-board"

That is a great point. All this talk of "for just a few dollars more" is ridiculous. If you really think the refs are just asking for a few more dollars you're wrong. There's a lot more, and most of it isn't really known or being discussed openly.

Somebody recently said something like "and the scab refs are saving them over $20000 a week. Not sure how many officials there are, but 100 would be on the low side (up to 16 games a week, so presuambly 16 teams, 7 officials per game). And I'm sure the amount in question is more than $200 extra per game.

According to a search I just did the NFLRA met with NFL officials this weekend but couldn't make any progress.

http://news.yahoo.com/nfl-officials-union-meet-again-175205329--nfl.html