[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drafting for an absent manager at a live offline draft?

RakeFighter

So for the first time in 12 years, one of our managers can't make the draft, and I'm wondering if you guys have any idea on the best way to approach the situation. I'm not very thrilled at the prospect of having to call him every round and list who's been taken, but I guess I will if that's my only option.

Any ideas? We use Yahoo for our league if that makes a difference.

Thanks amigos.

I'm not very thrilled at the prospect of having to call him every round and list who's been taken, but I guess I will if that's my only option.

Thanks amigos.

that's it. Or leave him on speaker

We had this happen with a couple of owners this year (family emergencies). Since we couldn't find any backup drafters on such short notice & neither of them were going to have the time to call picks in over the phone. We drafted best available to fill out a starting lineup & then backups. Finally taking a kicker & defense with their last two picks. Surprisingly enough, their teams turned out pretty good.

Edited by buddahj

This happened to us one year as well. One of the manager's was in Ireland, and left his draft strategy round by round. It would say something like "Best available RB, but not....so and so". He did this for every round, and the managers all decided who to pick for him based on this. He was a respected manager, so we drafted well for him, but I did not like this at all. Since that one time, NOBODY misses the draft. We set the date early enough, so if you can't make it, you better have a sub drafting for you or your cheat sheet better be updated.

Our local has been around since 1992 ... obviously with a league that old owners have relocated. While the core of the group would show up at the live draft we had 2 to 3 out of staters and we would call them when it was their turn to draft - PITA. Several years ago I decided to enter the picks live into the MFL live draft room and then the out of staters could do the same. Works great.

Our local has been around since 1992 ... obviously with a league that old owners have relocated. While the core of the group would show up at the live draft we had 2 to 3 out of staters and we would call them when it was their turn to draft - PITA. Several years ago I decided to enter the picks live into the MFL live draft room and then the out of staters could do the same. Works great.

This is the way we held our live draft this year as well. 1 owner was out of town, so we Skyped him in AND used the live draft room. It worked well and we could communicate with him in real time.

We had the same challenge this year, so I made a shared google docs spreadsheet that tracked all the picks, then called when it was the absentee's pick. Worked out really great. Of course they have to have Internet access for this to be viable.

Good Luck!

We have one owner draft remotely every year, and just keep him on speaker phone while we draft. We try to announce the picks clearly, but sometimes have to repeat them after the pick or before his pick. He also doesn't have the advantage of seeing the draft board which shows each team's players as you go (making it easy to see for example who still needs a QB, TE, etc.).