[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why do people "pass"?

Big F'n Dave

Noticed buddhaj's thread about Michael Clark Duncan (RIP) and was wondering why so many people choose to use the word "pass" instead of "die". I know it's big in the South, but didn't know if it was common vernacular in other parts of the country. Did "die" somehow become a dirty word?

Because some persons have delicate sensibilties. Its kind of a lightweight thing to say, IMO.

eta- I think that it refers to someone "passing to the afterlife."

Edited by Furd

I understand what "passed" means. Just wondering why people shy away from "died."

It's just a more comforting way to put it at a time when obviously many will be in need of comfort.

I also think it must have a religious connotation, as if to say it was their time, rather than the word die" which makes it seem much more tragic.

But mostly, I really think it's just because the word "die" seems to conjure up more feelings about the death and finality, rather than the person. Pretty much every funeral seeks to do the same, to celebrate and focus on the person rather than focus on the death.

Did "die" somehow become a dirty word?

Yeah, because this is AMMURRRRKUHHHH we're all gonna live forever and be millionaires! WHooooo!

Now gimme another Busch Light

(this post was brought to you by tequila)

Yeah, because this is AMMURRRRKUHHHH we're all gonna live forever and be millionaires! WHooooo!

Now gimme another Busch Light

(this post was brought to you by tequila)

:pc: Not Chief Dick, BFD liked Abita. And jaxfactor had the tequila.

Turned up dead is how I have phrased it lately. A lot of recent deaths of my old crowd have desensitized me quite a bit. I had to call an old friend a few weeks back to see if I knew the latest girl to turn up dead. Her picture looked familiar but I couldn't remember her. Turns out I was drunk one night, at that time it could have been any night, and I made out with her. I asked how she died and it seems all were in agreement that it was either the alcohol or the drugs. Mid 30's. Very sad. I did not attend the memorial which of course was held in her favorite bar.

Die just sounds so.....final.

Well, in all history, coming back has only been documented about 2-3 times (and the documentation tends be a smidge dubious)....I think the wise move when death is staring you in the face is to assume that it's a one-way trip to wherever. ;)

Well, in all history, coming back has only been documented about 2-3 times (and the documentation tends be a smidge dubious)....I think the wise move when death is staring you in the face is to assume that it's a one-way trip to wherever. ;)

In our department conferences at the hospital, the term that's used is "expired".