[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Art Modell passes away

G.K.Trey

Yep, on the late news (after game on NBC) Jim Donavan (the sports guy and radio voice of the Browns) was talking about it a lot. Heart problems in the past, and now more of the same plus other complications. He had been in the hospital since Monday, and both his sons (including one from western US) were at his side at the hospital yesterday. He was still alive around 12:30.

RIP Art, you did a lot for the Browns and the NFL, then ripped our hearts out and moved the team to Baltimore. As somebody who became a fan in the 80s after moving here, I enjoyed some good times with his team (3 AFC title games in 4 years) but also was deeply hurt when he moved the team.

More info from the local Akron paper (the AP story actually)

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/former-browns-ravens-owner-art-modell-dies-at-87-1.332235

I saw on the NFL AM show this morning, one crackhead compared his taking the team Baltimore to LeBron taking his talents to South Beach. Get real.

I think the whole LeBron going to Miami thing is overblown by many, people acting as if their SO cheated on them. What Modell did was way worse. Some will say he was justified, that Mike White and others in power ran him out of town while building the Gateway complex (Indians and Cavs venues).

I'm still royally pissed about it, but I'm not dancing on Art's grave.

Irsay's dead and now Modell, time to let it go. The NFL is big business and they treated it thusly, for right or wrong. RIP.

Easier said than done. I'm not one of those douchebags shouting "Good, screw Modell he deserved to die" but I'm not ready to forgive him for what he did. Especially since they won a SB shortly after that, and the New Browns have sucked horribly for going on 15 years.

This snippet, from Terry Pluto's obit sums it up nicely:

Modell is loved in Baltimore. He is respected by many in the NFL as one of the owners who helped shape the television package, including Monday Night Football. Thousands have been helped by his various charitable endeavors.

This Brooklyn, N.Y., native who embraced Cleveland and lived here from 1961-1995 was never able to come home again after moving the Browns to Baltimore.

In the end, it could have been so much different -- and better -- for Modell and Browns fans.