[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Predictions & Projections

flemingd

Love feedback - cannot do everything all at once necessarily and we will tweak things in the future as seem best. That is certainly once consideration but to start we were just trying to get functionality there and working. The game pages are better, I would agree.

I miss the S1, S2, S3, B etc. designations and they are good deliniators when making decisions amongst closely ranked players. The "confidence" designation is not as helpful. Thanks.

Disagree.

Although it does add an additional factor to consider (for instance, whether you go for the high confidence stud whose matchup they don't like, or the low-confidence guy who they like to have a nice week), it does make it more helpful than just designating those same guys both S2's, even though they have different degrees of confidence and variables that could change the outcome.

They also still give you their reasoning, which is normally what I look at when deciding between two similarly ranked players.

But the reason I really like the confindence ratings is that it takes into account that there are safer plays, and more risk/reward plays. To act as if you can make accurate weekly projections without taking into account the many factors that can change that projection (weekly projections by nature are much more fluid than are season-long projections), is to do you a disservice.

I like the confidence ratings, but still think the S1, S2 were helpful. Also pointed out yesterday that while the old S/B list was something completely different from other weekly reports, the S/B tool is really just the projections presented in a different format, with better ability to see only certain players you are tracking. With the added information/analysis write-up on each player.

I'm sure we'll all get used to them, and continue to toss out our feedback.

I think the Huddle Staff has just decided to get out of the rating of players for start bench etc. Felt it was inaccurate and probably tired of taking grief for "telling my to start this guy over that guy which cost me the win."

PS Thanks for clearing up the blacking problem on the player rankings page.

I think the Huddle Staff has just decided to get out of the rating of players for start bench etc. Felt it was inaccurate and probably tired of taking grief for "telling my to start this guy over that guy which cost me the win."

Precisely...

In the past, I do not think the Huddle was the best for just taking as gospel (though I don't think anyone should take rankings as gospel, but I understand that some do). I always used the combination of the projections, start/bench and rest-of-year rankings to for second and third opinions.

I think these does indeed to help streamline to where it will help both those looking to make their own informed decisions, and tohse that might rely a little more heavily on them as gospel.

I posted elsewhere on this but I really miss the projection by team page. Loved to see the whole team tds/score info

Agreed, I was just thinking the same, even though I think the new format will ultimately be more helpful for everyone.

I did like how you could look at the projected game scores and their projections for the whole team, and be able to evaluate their thinking better on that team's projections and explanations as a whole. Very helpful, as I like having more info to form my own opinion than to just blindly follow a different perspective.

Is it possible to maybe do an article that breaks down the fantasy games for the upcoming week, even if without the specific numbers for each player (that we'll get instead from the rankings/start-bench)?

Edited by delusions of grandeur

Is it possible to maybe do an article that breaks down the fantasy games for the upcoming week, even if without the specific numbers for each player (that we'll get instead from the rankings/start-bench)?

Are you volunteering?

I loved the S1, S2, etc. tiers. It separated the huddle from any other site that I have ever read and to me was worth the subscription fee alone.

I loved using it as a tool to measure up my line-up with my opponent. More often than not, if I could find more S1 and S2 players than my opponent, I would win the week. (duh...seems obvious) Often times it meant benching a bigger name for a better matchup, but made me look smart and won me plenty of money.

I would love to see a tier'd rank for startability again.

Like Predictions and Projections that I already do breaking down every game?

We are looking at getting a page of the projections by team again.

I'm thinking a "Have DMD set your weekly lineup" option would be pretty nifty. Plug your roster in and get your optimum lineup back. Just don't tell him if it's a money league, however, so he can't ask for a percentage of your payout at the end of the year.

Seriously though, I'm ok with the new format. The only difference I notice is that it takes me longer than the short glance it used to take for me to think to myself, "What the heck is he thinking? Player X is a great start this week!". :wink:

I don't think it's an issue of content as much as it is one of format. I like being able to sort projections by position for each league's scoring system similar to last year but I think the Game Predictions and player projections section loses a little without having a neat chart of each team's player's projections for that week. For people that have been around a while this is what we have been used to looking at for a long time even as enhancements came along.

Thanks for the added detail on each player by the way. Perhaps some sort of short summary version of GP&PP with the familiar charts would be helpful for processing.

Couple thoughts. First, projecting sports stats is an inexact science. Some people are better at it than others, but its really an educated guessing game. No one can say for sure what is going to happen. Thats no slight to the staff here and I think they would agree with me. With that all said, I've always trusted that the projections here were the projector's best guess as to what will happen. Those best guesses will be right some times and wrong some times. Again, no slighting. Thats just the way it is. So the Confidence Factor rating doesn't do anything for me because it's really a guess as to how accurate another guess is. Whether the Conf Factor is 1 or 5, the projection was the best guess as to what the player will do. Each week I look at The Huddle's best guess, Fantasy Football Weekly's best guess, maybe some other best guesses and factor them all in with what I feel will happen. Then I start the players I think will score the most points and call it good.

There are no guarantees, silver bullet strategy, foolproof projections, infallible ratings, etc. From reading many posts here over the years, I think a lot of people don't get that. My $0.02

Couple thoughts. First, projecting sports stats is an inexact science. Some people are better at it than others, but its really an educated guessing game. No one can say for sure what is going to happen. Thats no slight to the staff here and I think they would agree with me. With that all said, I've always trusted that the projections here were the projector's best guess as to what will happen. Those best guesses will be right some times and wrong some times. Again, no slighting. Thats just the way it is. So the Confidence Factor rating doesn't do anything for me because it's really a guess as to how accurate another guess is. Whether the Conf Factor is 1 or 5, the projection was the best guess as to what the player will do. Each week I look at The Huddle's best guess, Fantasy Football Weekly's best guess, maybe some other best guesses and factor them all in with what I feel will happen. Then I start the players I think will score the most points and call it good.

There are no guarantees, silver bullet strategy, foolproof projections, infallible ratings, etc. From reading many posts here over the years, I think a lot of people don't get that. My $0.02

Very much agree, that people seem to be looking for a crystal ball, when one doesn't exist.

But as for the confidence rating, they explain it as "represent(ing) how likely the projections are based on variables and past history."

In other words, their best guess is going to be stronger for some players than others, when you have differing variables that can greatly change the outcome, and more or less history to look at... Maybe it's obvious to me and you some of the time why they have more confidence in one projection over another, but it's not always so obvious to everyone that player X's projections might be riskier to rely on than player Y's.

It'd be one thing if they just chose which players they like for the week, but they have to rank every player, and so that means making projections based on very differing degrees of certainty with different situations.