[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers Reality Check

Ditkaless Wonders

The Packers have lost 3 of their last 5 meaningful games. In that five game stretch they have been outscored 148 to 136. Two of these loses have come at Lambeau. They are giving up points in that stretch at a rate of 29.6 points per game.

Currently they are last in their division. They have a conference loss against a team they thought they might be competing with so they are already down in the tiebreakers column. Their schedule will be very road weighted after this week.

While the second game of the season is not a must win, it is damn close. If they find themselves 2 games out in their division, with loses that are relevant in the tiebreakers determination, and with a schedule remaining with 8 road games and only 6 home games they are going to have a hill to climb pretty much all season.

Yesterday if became clear that keeping Donald Driver for sentiment was a waste of money, money they clearly could be spending elsewhere.

A.J. Hawk continues to make tackles, unfortunately they come in pursuit 5 to 7 yards from the line of scrimmage.

Capers has not yet gotten his defense to realize that there is field between the hash marks which, you know, they might want to defend.

Time to forget how good a Superbowl win feels and how good of a winning streak they had. Time for them to wake up, because they have sucked for 8 months now.

One thing is for certain, the Bears are not going to feel sorry for them. The Bears are going to be looking to push the Packers into the hole the Packers have dug. The Packers had better bring their "A" game Thursday. Their young guys on Defense need to grow up here real quick.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
  • Like 1

GB has some real weakness at one of the CB spots, and they obviously miss Barnett badly. I can't describe how disappointing it is watching Hawk fail to scrape and fill holes but rather to wait for the RB to come to him. Same MO as all last season. And Bush needs a 12 yd cushion to play in the NFL.

If those two areas don't improve, I'd sure like to see them take some risks and play Manning at ILB and Hayward at CB. Those kids may make mistakes also, but at least they'll be mistakes of aggression.

FWIW, Benson looked awful also and I'm wondering now even more so now than before why GB picked him up. While there may not have been hugh running lanes for him, he also has absolutely zero capacity to create anything for himself. Better to use those carry opportunities to let Rodgers throw the football and have the O become completely one dimensional - at least there's some chance of success.

That said, young Ds do tend to get better as the year goes on and it's going to be very difficult to stop the GB O with both Finley and Cobb operating underneath. That was a pretty damned good team they played - SF looks better this year than last with the same D and an improved O. It's early.

Edited by Bronco Billy

"Their schedule will be very road weighted after this week."

How so, because 8 of their remaining 15 games on are on the road? Wouldn't that be true for every team that started at home? You've got some reasons to be concerned as a Packer fan, but this one isn't worth paying attention to.

I doubt they'll face another team as good as SF all season.

"Their schedule will be very road weighted after this week."

How so, because 8 of their remaining 15 games on are on the road? Wouldn't that be true for every team that started at home? You've got some reasons to be concerned as a Packer fan, but this one isn't worth paying attention to.

Actually I was refering to after this week's Chicago game. If they go 0-2 they will have 2 losses in conference, 1 in the division, and would be 2 games and a tiebreaker down to a division rival with 14 games to go and 8 of those on the road.

I am not panicked yet. The Packers did play a team with 5 more wins last year than than the combined wins of the foes the rest of their division faced. Minnesota and Detroit did not look good, and Chicago only looked good in comparison to the 2-14 team they faced from last year with a Rookie Q.B. making his first start on the road. I was merely noting that a loss in the Packers next game would have them looking at a difficult road.

I do believe even if the Packers would lose the next game that their remaining schedule would allow them 12 wins. I was just noting that it was appropriate to have a realism check for me and other Packer fans.

I have always thought that the road to the playoffs was to win your home games and to go .500 on the road. Having already failed once at home means the Packers will have to be road warriors of a sort this year. I do not want to see that hill get any steeper.

The blueprint to beat the Packers is open for anyone to see.

Unfortunately, the Bears will not move from their stupid base Tampa cover and won't get enough pressue with 4 to make a difference. Rodgers will surgically carve them up with 10-12 yard slants left and right and then open up the middle for the TE and deep throws where the Bears will get burned.

The Pack are weak between the hash marks and you can run the ball down their throat. After that, they can be had in the air, with marginal pass coverage talent, with the exception of a few.

I'm not sure we don't see a 49-38 game this week.

With the Giants and 49ers, you see how to beat GB. I'm not sure Chicago has the speed and 2nd line toughness like either of those teams have to make Rodgers look normal.

To your point, they are not going to always be able to put 30+ on the board anymore as other teams now understand how they need to play this offense. Even the Cobb out of the backfield wrinkle is out there.

I'm not sure the 49ers aren't the best team in the NFC by far.

Currently they are last in their division. They have a conference loss against a team they thought they might be competing with so they are already down in the tiebreakers column. Their schedule will be very road weighted after this week.

Half the NFL is last in their division after week 1, no?

Worrying about tiebreakers in week 1? Alrighty.

Very road weighted? 8-7?

Maybe you shoulda left this paragraph out?

Very road weighted? 8-7?

Secondstring, meet DW, AKA Bronco Billy Part Deux: Electric Bugaloo.

And what's a good homer rant without hyperbole?

Maybe not, but they still have some tough matchups.

Houston, New Orleans and the Giants are on their schedule.

And of course they have 2 divisional matchups with each of Detroit and Chicago.

Very road weighted? 8-7?

Maybe I should have stated explicitly after this coming week two game, though I thought it was implicit. Since you are not the first to mention this I blame my poor writing. Of course this was already covered in the thread, but the problem originated with me. Sorry.

Still, given my third paragraph I thought my meaning was fairly clear.

Secondstring, meet DW, AKA Bronco Billy Part Deux: Electric Bugaloo.

And what's a good homer rant without hyperbole?

You seem to have an extreme fascination with my friend Bronco Billy. Do you suppose you will ever be able to distinguish between the two of us?

You seem to have an extreme fascination with my friend Bronco Billy. Do you suppose you will ever be able to distinguish between the two of us?

It will be exceedingly difficult to distinguish the two of you when you resort to the same tactics of assuming that anyone who calls either one of you out must have some weird fascination, though I applaud you for the advanced trolling technique. I guess I've resorted to somewhat of the same, when it seems that introspection is a futile approach.

The more likely scenario is that BB has pissed in so many people's cheerios here, to where you're taking some of the unfortunate splashback. I've said several times that I respect BB's football knowledge, but Billy has dished out plenty enough to take it.

Though I will admit that in that other thread, I drunkenly overreacted about fairly innocent comments you made by this board's standards (gotta have thick skin here). I hope we can still be the bestest of friends :fool:

It will be exceedingly difficult to distinguish the two of you when you resort to the same tactics of assuming that anyone who calls either one of you out must have some weird fascination, though I applaud you for the advanced trolling technique. I guess I've resorted to somewhat of the same, when it seems that introspection is a futile approach.

The more likely scenario is that BB has pissed in so many people's cheerios here, to where you're taking some of the unfortunate splashback. I've said several times that I respect BB's football knowledge, but Billy has dished out plenty enough to take it.

Though I will admit that in that other thread, I drunkenly overreacted about fairly innocent comments you made by this board's standards (gotta have thick skin here). I hope we can still be the bestest of friends :fool:

I was unaware that I did this. In fact I do not believe this is so.

The Packers have lost 3 of their last 5 meaningful games. In that five game stretch they have been outscored 148 to 136. Two of these loses have come at Lambeau. They are giving up points in that stretch at a rate of 29.6 points per game.

While the second game of the season is not a must win, it is damn close. If they find themselves 2 games out in their division, with loses that are relevant in the tiebreakers determination, and with a schedule remaining with 8 road games and only 6 home games they are going to have a hill to climb pretty much all season.

Yesterday if became clear that keeping Donald Driver for sentiment was a waste of money, money they clearly could be spending elsewhere.

A.J. Hawk continues to make tackles, unfortunately they come in pursuit 5 to 7 yards from the line of scrimmage.

Capers has not yet gotten his defense to realize that there is field between the hash marks which, you know, they might want to defend.

Time to forget how good a Superbowl win feels and how good of a winning streak they had. Time for them to wake up, because they have sucked for 8 months now.

One thing is for certain, the Bears are not going to feel sorry for them. The Bears are going to be looking to push the Packers into the whole the Packers have dug. The Packers had better bring their "A" game Thursday. Their young guys on Defense need to grow up here real quick.

Quality post right there.

You have to give DoG some credit. He appears to be attempting to extend his horizons by venturing out and attacking new people, although he hasn't seemed to have lost his fixation and is still doing some serious projection. On the other hand, he did refrain from calling me (or you by association) an a-hole in this unsolicited attack.

There may be some hope...