[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New Thursday night games

Chief Dick

New Thursday Night Games  

136 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Thursday games starting so soon?

• Love it
    • Hate it
    • Puddy

Another football game to watch every week (unless you're one of those without NFLN) is a good thing.

Sure it makes the week tougher for fantasy, but it really should only affect that one game and players on 2 teams. Can still wait to decide whether players in Sunday/Monday games are active until their games start. We're wondering whether waiver periods may need to be adjusted or not, but taking a wait and see attitude now (do one Tue night and other Saturday night).

For me one change might be not having time to watch the up to 3 NFL Replay games that I didn't see over the weekend before the TNF game. May have to leave one to watch Friday or Saturday if all 3 are new.

ETA Single and with no family, so nobody is pissed off I spend another evening watching football.

Edited by stevegrab

Hate it. Pro Football should be played Sundays with EXACTLY one Monday night game. I understand what the league is trying to accomplish in regard to revenue. but can't help but think they are unintentionally diluting their own market.as well as detracting from how special they've made the league.

Plus it pisses the wife off - and in my household, if Mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy.

Edited by Bronco Billy
  • Like 2

Personally, I hate it. It's almost too much. The nice thing about not having it is you had time to breathe a little after the weekend and monday night games.

Now, it seems like a big cluster to cram waivers in, set line-ups, etc. Bah humbug.

I'm with you. Now, if I was single without a family, I'd love it. But my wife HATES football and I'm perfectly content dedicating one day only to my hobby. The more days they add to the schedule only makes my wife hate football more and makes me feel a little guilty about watching.

Hate it. Pro Football should be played Sundays with EXACTLY one Monday night game. I understand what the league is trying to accomplish in regard to revenue. but can't help but think they are unintentionally diluting their own market.as well as detracting from how special they've made the league.

+1

The NFL is meant to be played on Sundays, with one MNF game.

I hate it. Not only does it rush the FF aspect (waivers, setting lineups, injuries, etc.), but Thursday games don't allow players with recent and/or nagging injuries to heal enough to maybe play on Sunday (specifically Jennings this week). I think it puts a burden on the players and coaches who must do a quick turnaround in 4 days. NFL money grab.

I hate it. Not only does it rush the FF aspect (waivers, setting lineups, injuries, etc.), but Thursday games don't allow players with recent and/or nagging injuries to heal enough to maybe play on Sunday (specifically Jennings this week). I think it puts a burden on the players and coaches who must do a quick turnaround in 4 days. NFL money grab.

Interesting you say this. The NFL keeps preaching about player safety, but insists on throwing their players back out there on a short week.

+1

The NFL is meant to be played on Sundays, with one MNF game.

I don't get what makes MNF so special, surely you all remember (or at least know) there was a time before MNF games. I'm sure people were opposed to games being added then as well. What about playoff games on Saturday, are those ok (not Sunday or MNF).

As for the short week, it is 2 teams out of 32 that have a short week, and then a long week. MNF creates short weeks, so it to should be eliminated on that basis.

Yes I know it is a money grab by the league. But there are now 16 games each week without byes. Taking the opportunity to show another game nationally that (almost) everybody can see is a plus.

MNF has been around for 40 years; the 'time before MNF games' was so long ago from an exposure and media perspective as to be irrelevant. Saturday playoff games are fine, because they are playoff games (i.e., special events in a sense, and all 4 weekend playoff games need to be nationally televised). The same goes for Thanksgiving Thursdays. Having a game every Thursday just dilutes the NFL product. Whats next? A weekly Friday or Saturday night game? At some point you end up diverging from what makes the NFL great -- the fact that all the weeks games (save for MNF) are played on one single day.

• Like 1

MNF has been around for 40 years; the 'time before MNF games' was so long ago from an exposure and media perspective as to be irrelevant. Saturday playoff games are fine, because they are playoff games (i.e., special events in a sense, and all 4 weekend playoff games need to be nationally televised). The same goes for Thanksgiving Thursdays. Having a game every Thursday just dilutes the NFL product. Whats next? A weekly Friday or Saturday night game? At some point you end up diverging from what makes the NFL great -- the fact that all the weeks games (save for MNF) are played on one single day.

First off, the NFL is prohibited from having games on Friday and Saturday night during the season because of high school and college football. So that would only leave Tuesday and Wednesday, and we've had NFL games on both those days under special circumstances the last few years.

So since MNF has been around for 40 years it is ok. You think people were complaining back in the early 70s "Man not another day with an NFL game, this dilutes the product." I guess in another 30-40 years people will accept the Thursday games as well.

I don't follow college football much, but were Thursday and Friday games around 20-30-50 years ago? Did college football fans complain when these games were added.

there's way more college teams than NFL teams. Those who follow college don't mind. Especially since the college fantasy leagues are not quite as ubiquitous and don't cause as many lineup/free agent wire/injury.

See, you're again looking at this logically instead of from a fantasy perspective. If there were no fantasy, I would not mind in the least the addition of a Thursday game.

• Like 1

there's way more college teams than NFL teams. Those who follow college don't mind. Especially since the college fantasy leagues are not quite as ubiquitous and don't cause as many lineup/free agent wire/injury.

See, you're again looking at this logically instead of from a fantasy perspective. If there were no fantasy, I would not mind in the least the addition of a Thursday game.

I just don't see the real issue of fantasy, but then I only play in one league so maybe that minimizes it. This week GB-CHI on TNF, no players on those teams, nothing needs to be done to my line-up until Friday-Sunday like usual.

I just don't see the real issue of fantasy, but then I only play in one league so maybe that minimizes it. This week GB-CHI on TNF, no players on those teams, nothing needs to be done to my line-up until Friday-Sunday like usual.

:slap:

If you hate it, search your cable box and locate the button labelled "power." Press it. Problem solved. Hate Thursday games? Don't watch Thursday games. If the ratings suck, they will go away.