[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Richie not so Incognito

rajncajn

Pictures of Richie Incognito's Version of "Hard Nosed Football" Versus Antonio Smith

After the Texans' 30-10 defeat of the Miami Dolphins on Sunday, Antonio Smith voiced his frustration with Dolphins left guard Richie Incognito.

"A dirty player being let to play dirty … Ricky Incognito. Everything that's illegal that can be done on the football field he does it, but mainly he was hitting people after the play, sliding down on your leg grabbing your ankle and trying to twist to break your ankle and he was doing it right in front of the referees and he was still in the game.

"It's the referees' job to stop him from doing it because everything that I would do to stop him I would get a penalty for.

"I told myself you've got to humble yourself and keep playing. There were so many times that I would have to loved [it] to just be like hockey. Drop the helmets off, drop the gloves, go fisticuffs. We're men. Let's go at it."

Incognito, of course, declared his innocence and stated that he no longer plays with questionable technique.

I will never apologize for the way I play football. Physical- Hard Nose football from snap to whistle. Get with it or get run over by it.

"It’s a label that has been with me since I was a younger player, when I quite frankly did play dirty and I would go after guys," Incognito said Monday. "The first couple of years in St. Louis, I was playing frustrated football. I wasn’t mature enough to handle the situations we were in. We were doing a lot of losing.

"So I think back then the tag was deserved. I have evolved, and I think that label still sticks. Once you’re labeled with it, it’s very hard to shake."

Edited by rajncajn

He referenced his time in St. Louis... most everybody/fan here says the same thing about him: good riddance. And most of us really don't care if he says the same about our city. He's a classless jerk.

"We were doing a lot of losing". Well, Ritchie... stop holding, and taking personal fouls to put us in 1st and long, then 2nd and longer, and maybe the record you contributed to would be a little better. (probably not)

Edited by lennykravitz2004
  • Like 1

I've seen pics and the video. Kinda hard to tell, but it looks like what he did is somewhere between "I didn't do nuthin" and "he tried to twist my ankle off!" Dirty, stupid, and should have been a penalty for sure, maybe even an ejection, but it doesn't compare to stuff like Fat Albert Haynesworthless stomping on somebody's head.

Edited by BeeR

I thought pretty much all players in football do this CHIPS AHOY! in piles. So what is the big deal?

:wacko: Wow, hopefully that's fishing because it's a completely absurd statement.

Completely indefensible and worthy of a fine and suspension. He's clearly trying to cause injury.

:wacko: Wow, hopefully that's fishing because it's a completely absurd statement.

Completely indefensible and worthy of a fine and suspension. He's clearly trying to cause injury.

What is completely absurd, saying that other players do this? You mean they don't, he's the only one, or in a very small minority?

So all the stories we've heard from former players (including posters here who experienced it in HS and college) saying guys are trying to hurt each other at the bottom of a pile. Pulling fingers, grabbing arms/legs/feet, punching or grabbing their nuts.

Never said it was defensible or didn't warrant a penalty or a fine. Just recall discussions a while back about bounty gate and "what's the big deal everybody does it argument" being tossed around by some people. Apparently that doesn't apply in this situation.

What is completely absurd, saying that other players do this? You mean they don't, he's the only one, or in a very small minority?

So all the stories we've heard from former players (including posters here who experienced it in HS and college) saying guys are trying to hurt each other at the bottom of a pile. Pulling fingers, grabbing arms/legs/feet, punching or grabbing their nuts.

Never said it was defensible or didn't warrant a penalty or a fine. Just recall discussions a while back about bounty gate and "what's the big deal everybody does it argument" being tossed around by some people. Apparently that doesn't apply in this situation.

Okay, so you were fishing then. Good.

I've seen pics and the video. Kinda hard to tell, but it looks like what he did is somewhere between "I didn't do nuthin" and "he tried to twist my ankle off!" Dirty, stupid, and should have been a penalty for sure, maybe even an ejection, but it doesn't compare to stuff like Fat Albert Haynesworthless stomping on somebody's head.

If he'd broken the ankle would you feel differently? The way I look at it, at least Haynesworth did it in the heat of the moment. The way this looks, it was a calculated effort to injure him which IMO is worse. Of course he could have just been holding on to him to keep him from going after the ball and Smith is just trying to defend kicking him in the head repeatedly. Edited by rajncajn

He played for Nebraska for a few years before he was kicked off the team. Dude is a psycho and I look forward to him being unemployed. I brought this guy up during the Suh stomp thread as an example of real dirt bags that people don't pay attention to because they weren't a high draft pick. People like Incognito are far more of a problem and the game is better off without them.

dude's going to town on his ankle like the hopped up face eater.

Good analogy. For whatever reason some of these guys go into a rage as if they're intoxicated. I remember Haynesworth saying he was in the locker room right after the face stomping and didn't even remember it happening.

I think most players can jack up the intensity and still play clean, while others get so amped on the warrior mentality that they're liable to do just about anything on a given play. Also, some people simply lack a conscience.

If he'd broken the ankle would you feel differently?

I would in the sense that I'd be convinced Smith's bones must be made out of pretzel rods. Again from what I could tell Richiepoo was mostly "hugging" it and moving back and forth a little, but I don't see that he had near enough motion/whatever to do anything serious to the ankle, let alone break it. Could be wrong, those are some strong mo fo's, just IMO.

The way I look at it, at least Haynesworth did it in the heat of the moment. The way this looks, it was a calculated effort to injure him which IMO is worse.
Holding/twisting someone's ankle is worse than stomping on their head? Have to disagree there. I understand what you're saying re. calculated vs not, but this isn't even in the same league as Hayneworth's BS. And I don't buy doing something that stupid/severe "in the heat of the moment" as an excuse in the slightest. If you're that effed in the head, get into MMF or whatever that BS is called.

Of course he could have just been holding on to him to keep him from going after the ball and Smith is just trying to defend kicking him in the head repeatedly.
Yeah - again the ahole was clearly well out of line, but it's hard to say how much from that video.

Without knowing who is right and who is wrong I would like to think that nobody would ever kick another player repeatedly in the head like that for no good reason.

You'd also like to think that nobody would ever wrench another players ankle like that for no good reason.

Without knowing who is right and who is wrong I would like to think that nobody would ever kick another player repeatedly in the head like that for no good reason.

You'd also like to think that nobody would ever wrench another players ankle like that for no good reason.

Or try to knock a player out of a game intentionally for an extra $100 in the pot.

:out:

Or try to knock a player out of a game intentionally for an extra $100 in the pot.

Big difference between hitting a player in the course of a play, in a legal fashion and what is being referenced above. Although a lot of folks would like to paint the Saints with the same brush.

Edited by rajncajn

http://espn.go.com/n...ichie-incognito

A saying comes to mind... something about, "It's always the second guy that gets caught."

HOUSTON -- Texans defensive end Antonio Smith says he's been fined $21,000 by the league for kicking Miami guard Richie Incognito during last week's win over the Dolphins.

Smith missed two practices this week with a sore right ankle. He says he was only retaliating when Incognito tried to twist his ankle after the whistle.

The Texans (1-0) play at Jacksonville (0-1) on Sunday. Smith practiced on Friday and coach Gary Kubiak expects him to play against the Jaguars.

Smith says he's "disappointed" in the fine and plans to appeal. Smith was fined $7,500 last season for pulling off Baltimore guard Andre Gurode's helmet in a game against the Ravens.

Also Friday, Washington Redskins defensive back Madieu Williams was fined $21,000 for unnecessary roughness on New Orleans Saints tight end Jimmy Graham, a source told ESPN's Ed Werder.

Graham was defenseless at the time Williams made helmet-to-helmet contact with him.

Generally the player to retaliate is the one that gets caught, during the game. (Like last night the late hit on CHI lineman after the GB player [Hawk?] hit him late.)

Afterward, when game film is reviewed and fines are handed out I'd think the league is taking everything into account.If they believed Incognito was twisting the guys ankle trying to hurt him, they would likely let his retaliation go, or give out a small fine, $21 grand doesn't seem that small).

Some here are making it sound like Incognito took a crowbar to the guys ankle. Others have said they don't see anything real malicious, just the guy hanging onto him so he cannot get a way and get the ball, tackle the player that recovered etc.

I still think people are making a big deal out of this. It isn't Haynesworth or Suh stomping on some guy, its something that goes on a lot in the pile or when players are on the ground.

Decide for yourself

Looks to me like a little more going on there than just what happens at the bottom of a pile, but maybe that's just me. :shrug:

And Incognito's explaination...

At first blush, it looks like Incognito is a hungry dog and Smith’s femur is the ham bone. But Incognito explained himself via a stream of Twitter direct messages to PFT.

“I have seen the video,” Incognito said. “Once the ball was fumbled I grabbed his legs to stop him from recovering the fumble. It’s clear that I wrap my arms around both his legs. I was trying to keep him from scrambling to the ball.

“After the ball was recovered I felt him kicking me. I was trying to protect myself. Kind of like a turtle in a shell. At no time was I turning his ankle. My intent was to keep him from getting to the ball.”

OK, I watched the video again. Looks to me like he grabs the guys ankle, then the guy rolls over (that would twist his ankle) then the guy starts kicking at Incognito. I don't see any evidence of Incognito twisting or bending the ankle. But the video isn't great (too far away too many other players around) and I cannot do any slow more or proper freeze frame stuff.

To me it seem like Incognito's story is true. I have no bias for/against Incognito, never heard much about him or considered him a dirty player. It is possible that some here and in the media have a different take, because of their views of Incognito.

Another case of "dude is an ahole and a JELLY BEAN" being used to justifty people's view that this dude was doing something so horrendous.

I'd be curious to hear the take of those at the NFL responsible for passing out punishment. You'd think if Incognito was a James Harrison type with constant penalties and fines they'd say "Screw him, he deserved it no fine for the guy kicking him."

No. But I think that if he did kick him in the head repeatedly for no reason, then that is by far the most insane thing I have ever seen in the NFL. Worse than Fat Albert. In that case he should immidiately be suspended for good or play for the Saint.

It is still not as crazy as Eric Cantona ninja kicking a spectator!

Don't get me wrong, I still think Antonio Smith deserves the fine & if it's decided that Incognito was "just playing turtle" then a suspension as well. But I think the NFL should take a closer look at this play & make a determination of what Incognito's intentions were & punish him accordingly as well.