[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

desperate measures and dependable brews

WildTurkey

Here's a couple of desperation fantasy plays for week 2 in the event that your drafted team has already fallen apart and/or you've slept through waivers this week in your 20 team league.

In the event either of these conditions are true, and since you're now depending on the advice of some random guy, one who's not getting paid to write this "article" in thehuddle.com forums (on a Saturday night at 10:00 PM), I'll also include a choice of beer to get you through Sunday, and depending on the ABV, all the way through to MNF.

Also, rather than provide you with a picture of NFL cheerleaders, I'll just remind you that this is something that actually happened in real life: http://www.thesmokin...se-cheerleaders

RB: Dexter McCluster - maybe my re-draft leagues just aren't as competitive as your's, but McCluster was available to me in every one this week. Ogletree, Alfred Morris, CJ Spiller, Stephen Hill and Cecil Shorts were taken before McCluster fell to me in waivers. Cecil Shorts? I love leagues filled with owners who just blindly pick up whatever random happens to generate a decent stat line week in and week out. This week we have this guy who's proudly trotting out Ogletree, Lance Moore and Alfred Morris in lieu of Reggie Bush, Dwayne Bowe and Victor Cruz.

I've always tried to live by the rule of never chasing performance. Do your research and do your best to stay ahead of the curve. Don't drop a proven guy or highly touted rookie who starts out with a stinker to pick up Frisman Jurevicius, who you'll then start for the next 4 weeks of 1-2 catches before dropping for the next one pump chump.

McCluster looked good in the preseason. The Huddle found this nugget earlier in the year:

"Kansas City Chiefs RB Dexter McCluster said he has been watching tape of New England Patriots WR Wes Welker this offseason because he could see time as a slot receiver this season. McCluster said he would like to play like Welker does because Welker gets open and plays hard every play."

I like the sound of that. Not only the whole "receiving time in the slot" thing, but the fact that a player watches tape of another team which probably isn't a required thing.

Pick up McCluster (IN YOUR PPR LEAGUE ONLY (actually is ANYONE in a league that's NOT PPR at this point in life?) for the long term but go ahead and start McCluster against the Bills D if you're desperate for a RB/WR play. If it helps you any, he had 5 receptions against them last year in a much different scheme.

Also, forward thinking, if Jamaal Charles goes down which is totally inconceivable, who would you anticipate gets those touches out of the backfield that he's getting now? Well, probably not McCluster since he didn't get them last year when that happened, but I'd estimate he would get at least a slight uptick.

QB - Josh Freeman, TB - Man, you'd have to be really desperate and in the aforementioned 20 person league to do this, but if you absolutely had to choose between Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez, or some other detritus left in your league's QB FA pool, or if you play in one of those 2 QB leagues that I've heard about but never actually known anyone to play in, I'd be all about some Freeman this week. The Giants were killed by short slant patterns against the Cowboys, and although they're getting Prince Iaukea back this week, Freeman is the exact type of dink and dunker that should be able to exploit the Giants' walking wounded secondary again this week. His passes went for an average of just over 5 yards last week so the guy apparently spent the Carolina game practicing this technique to use against the Giants. Won't hurt in avoiding the rush from the dozen of awesome Giants pass rushers who had zero sacks last week. Sorry Rocky Bernard, I wasn't counting you in that list.

Beer of the week: Session beer Terrapin Easy Rider: A session beer is basically one you can drink all Sunday during the noon and late games, and still be able to drink a little more during the nightcap, all while actually tasting good. It's one thing to do so with Miller Lite or Bud whatever and dance with supermodels on the cruise at your local Wild Wings while crushing job opportunities (and poon) on your beach with a Corona, but this beer actually tastes good:

Terrapin Easy Rider, Terrapin Brewing Company, Athens, GA.

Don't take it from me. Please don't take it from me. I don't feel comfortable using the term mouthfeel around other gentlemen. Find out more from the guys at Beer Advocate:

http://beeradvocate....file/2372/80811

All I will say is this beer features a punch in the mouth like similarly highly hopped, but higher ABV brews but has much less residue at the finish. Which means you can drink it all day and night and not cringe after the first sip. And hopefully be fresh for that Monday AM meeting you need to crush, brah. After taking the gold with your totally awesome plays of Dexter McCluster and Josh Freeman, beating the team of Ogletrees and Morrises.

later, best of luck and best of brews

WT

Edited by WildTurkey
  • Like 2

Yeah....this is why I subscribe to the Huddle and am not employed BY the Huddle. Replace McCluster with Andrew Hawkins and all is fine! That guy has some serious moves and speed. As for Freeman, he was making my prediction true up until the 2nd half. I do contend the catch by Mike Williams was a catch. He laid two feet down after the reception and only lost possession after being knocked out of bounds. That would have bumped Freeman's stat line up nicely and I think the Bucs may have rolled if that's ruled a catch.

Anyway, I was right about the beer. I'll try again next week.

Also, this guy: "This week we have this guy who's proudly trotting out Ogletree, Lance Moore and Alfred Morris in lieu of Reggie Bush, Dwayne Bowe and Victor Cruz." ... this guy is hating life right about now.