[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How much should I panic over Fitzgerald?

e5volcano

I wouldn't say I am "very" worried but I am worried for sure. If the Cards want to continue to win, Fitz has to be a big part of the gameplan. Yes, the Kolb/Fitz connection isn't the same as Skelton/Fitz, based on numbers and the eye test, but as an elite talent at the WR position, hard to write him off completely.

Overreactions like this are what make patient fantasy owners drool over buying low. Too much talent and too long of a track record for him to drop off the face of the earth. Maybe he doesn't finish the year top 5, but top 15 most likely and if you wanna trade him for a sack of footballs or start a FA over him you'll probably wind up losing out

• Like 2

Overreactions like this are what make patient fantasy owners drool over buying low. Too much talent and too long of a track record for him to drop off the face of the earth. Maybe he doesn't finish the year top 5, but top 15 most likely and if you wanna trade him for a sack of footballs or start a FA over him you'll probably wind up losing out

Well when i've started him above Stevie Johnson and Decker and Antonio Brown for 2 weeks now, my frustration grows

Well Johnson and Marshall had crap days, as did DMC on the RB side, oh and Rodgers had half as many points as Brandon Weeden. There were others. I wouldn't remove him as a starter yet. Toward the end of the year last year Megatron had single digits in standard scoring leagues 4 out of 5 weeks. Outside of that he was a beast. It happens with wide receivers, but the day you bench him is the day he goes crazy...

Agree with what you're saying in principle, but the problem here is that Fitz was drafted to be a top 5; that would have been the price you had to pay at the draft. It's abundantly clear he's not going to meet that expectation. Downgrade your expectations; or find someone who's willing to pay a top 5 price in a trade. Hell, if someone's willing to give me a top 15 price, I might think hard about it.

Edited by nelsosi

No, of course not, and he and Kolb have such a great rapport of course [/sarcasm]

Fitz was back to top 5 numbers with Skelton in there, but in just over half a season with Kolb last year, he only recorded 38 catches for 658 yards (okay, not too bad) and 2 TDs ( :weird: ).

But I wouldn't expect it to be quite as bad as it has been thus far. The reason they drafted Floyd was to take coverage from Fitz (or else exploit it), so I assume they're still trying to establish other threats, especially when the running game isn't commanding much respect either.

Here comes this "logic" rearing its ugly head again. I brought this up when people said Julio would open things up for White. It doesn't happen.

If the complimentary WR is good enough to truly open things up for the WR1, then he's good enough to take targets and production away from him. I can assure you that, if someone was thinking about DTing Fitz, they're not having second thoughts about it until Floyd or Roberts, or someone starts to burn them and often. Which, again means yardage and TDs aren't going to Fitz.

Even then, it's just going to open up the running game or something else because, if they feel like the WR2 deserves more attention, I'm rather certain that the last place on the field that attention is being pulled from is Fitz. They may trade out a LB for a DB which could open up the running game. But they're certainly not going to start doubling Roberts or Floyd with a guy that was previously being used to double Fitz.

Further, it doesn't matter how bad your secondary receiving threats are, they're going to get someone lined-up against them. Nobody is going to be left entirely alone on purpose. So, whatever stiff was there before Floyd came along was likely getting exactly as much attention as he is now, the bare minimum. Because neither is Larry Fitz.

In other words, especially from a FF perspective, the development of these other WR options is not going to help Fitz's production.

Edited by detlef

At this point, sadly, he's no better than a WR2/WR3 who will occasionally put up a big game, but more often than not put up 4/60 numbers....which you could have gotten from the likes of Jasan Avant 12-15 rounds later.

I'm afraid yesterday's stat line is going to be closer to the norm. 1 catch for 4 yards. And they're now 2-0 so I'm guessing the Cards are going to be content for now letting teams take Larry away.

What also concerns me is TD opportunities. Realistically, how often is this offense going to be in the red zone. Catches and yardage can get you into the top 15 or top 20 discussion, but you have no chance of entering the top 5 discussion without TD opportunities.

Again, it's not an indictment of Fitz's abilities. It's just the reality of where he's playing right now. I think one day we'll look back on his career and think about the 'what ifs'

Edited by nelsosi

I'm afraid yesterday's stat line is going to be closer to the norm. 1 catch for 4 yards.

I think he'll do better than that...he is such a physical specimen that more often than not, he'll break a few tackles and his YAC will produce a decent line. Just so happened that yesterday, the Cardinals were playing with a lead, so they weren't airing it out too much.

But assuming they are playing from behind more often than not (which I do), and that they have to pass a little more than not, then Fitz will get targeted, even if he is DT'd...and he's good enough to bring 30% of them in.

Here comes this "logic" rearing its ugly head again. I brought this up when people said Julio would open things up for White. It doesn't happen.

If the complimentary WR is good enough to truly open things up for the WR1, then he's good enough to take targets and production away from him. I can assure you that, if someone was thinking about DTing Fitz, they're not having second thoughts about it until Floyd or Roberts, or someone starts to burn them and often. Which, again means yardage and TDs aren't going to Fitz.

Even then, it's just going to open up the running game or something else because, if they feel like the WR2 deserves more attention, I'm rather certain that the last place on the field that attention is being pulled from is Fitz. They may trade out a LB for a DB which could open up the running game. But they're certainly not going to start doubling Roberts or Floyd with a guy that was previously being used to double Fitz.

Further, it doesn't matter how bad your secondary receiving threats are, they're going to get someone lined-up against them. Nobody is going to be left entirely alone on purpose. So, whatever stiff was there before Floyd came along was likely getting exactly as much attention as he is now, the bare minimum. Because neither is Larry Fitz.

In other words, especially from a FF perspective, the development of these other WR options is not going to help Fitz's production.

That's not really my point at all (and you didn't bold the "or exploit it" part), and what you're saying kind of plays into what I'm saying.

They're not even really targeting Fitz much from what I've seen, so it seems they're trying to establish other threats. It has little to do with Fitz's production that they don't have other threats that they need to establish to exploit it if they're gonna roll all the coverage his way. That may not "open things up" for Fitz if they do, but nonetheless, I don't think he's going to be so sparsely targeted to put up a 1 catch statline all year.