[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Ben Tate earning a starting fantasy spot?

stevegrab

What do you guys think, should this guy be in your startng line-ups going foward? I know it depends on who else you have, so really just a general discussion of how you see Tate's numbers the rest of the season, does he continue to get plenty of chances to put up points.

I didn't ee any of the game, nor did I see the Texans in week 1. He did very litte week 1, but seemed much more involved yesterday. In fact I heard that he had a big run and amost scored, then came out and Foster got the short TD. (Just looked at game log, see it was a TD on the field then overturned, he carried on 1st-and-goal, but Foster carried on 2nd and scored.)

I drafted him mostly as a bye week filler, and as a possible starter. Figured he may put up some decent numbers, and could really shine if Foster was out at all. But the first two weeks were really more than I expcected.And he's currently a rising star in my mediocre stable of RB (BGE, McGahee, Ingram, Tate, Ronnie Brown, B. Scott).

This is not an advice question, I'll look at all the info before week 3 and decide if he needs to be in my line-up.

Edited by stevegrab

I had him as a hand-cuff to Foster in a league last year and, because we started 2 flex, used them both fairly often once Foster was back and healthy.

People say he's too unreliable, but so are plenty. I'll take alternating weeks of zilch and 20 pts from my flex position. I'd rather that than a steady diet of 6-8.

As Houston is a run first team and their defense gives them lot's of offensive opps, he's definitely worth a RB2 spot as both he and Foster are getting lot's of touches per game. I'd say it's about a 60-40 split just offhand with both spelling each other after 3-4 plays. He may get you what he got in game 1 but he's also just as likely to come close to what he got in game 2.

Edited by ABearWithFurniture

I'd also add that it almost makes more sense if you actually have Foster. If you take their combined numbers and compare them to most other RB1+Flex that you'll see in leagues of any decent size, I'm sure they look good. In other words, when Tate isn't getting much, it might be because Foster is having one of his huge days.

Will they likely combine for 20+ points though? I can see starting 2 RBs who score at least 10 points each and I'm not sure if starting Foster+Tate will always yield a 20 point total, I'd rather go Foster/Tate+another RB from a diff team

(at least in my small 8 team league)

Edited by e5volcano

Will they likely combine for 20+ points though? I can see starting 2 RBs who score at least 10 points each and I'm not sure if starting Foster+Tate will always yield a 20 point total, I'd rather go Foster/Tate+another RB from a diff team

(at least in my small 8 team league)

Well, I did say in "larger leagues". In an 8 team league, I would hope you have better options.

That said, there's no RB1/Flex combo that will always yield 20 combined. And, once both backs were healthy, Foster and Tate did more often than not. And when they failed to, it was just barely. On the other hand, they also posted combined weeks of 51, 39, and 43.

I'd also add that it almost makes more sense if you actually have Foster. If you take their combined numbers and compare them to most other RB1+Flex that you'll see in leagues of any decent size, I'm sure they look good. In other words, when Tate isn't getting much, it might be because Foster is having one of his huge days.

And of course even when Tate has a good day, that usually means Foster already got his, so it doesn't even have to be a tradeoff many weeks, when Schaub and Andre seem to be absorbing the lost value they're both taking...

I've watched every snap the Texans have played so far. In week one, the Texans couldn't get anything going on the ground, and then started to open it up. After the game Kubiak said he was frustrated in the performance and that he was going to fix it. This past week the run was there, and they combined for 40 carries and 10 receptions. I believe they ran 80 offensive plays as a team, but I think if everything is going right this is the kind of offense they want to run.

That being said, I doubt they want Foster to touch the ball 34 times like he did yesterday. I could easily see Foster getting around 25 touches and Tate getting around 15 total touches. Houston's running attack is so good that Tate at 15 touches is going to be more valuable than a decent amount of starting RB's on other teams.

As an owner of both in my main league, Tate is going to be my flex moving forward. We'll see how that works out, they have a much tougher opponent in week 3 than what we've seen so far.

I could easily see Foster getting around 25 touches and Tate getting around 15 total touches.

This is what I think Houston is looking for in normal circumstances.

That said, when the chips are down (either in close games, or when behind), I would expect Foster to dominate the touches. Last year's playoffs are a good example - when it really mattered, Tate barely saw the field.

The risk with starting Tate is the near-zero games. Just gotta weigh the risks.

Edited by nelsosi
  • Like 1

I wish my league started a flex. But I have him (no Foster), and really like the depth he provides - he's start-able in a pinch as a RB2, and of course should be gold if Foster goes down.

Got offered Freddy Jax for him this week and turned it down. Not sure that was the right move, but think I'd rather hold onto him for a RB in a better situation, or a really good WR2.

• 3 weeks later...

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Ben Tate (toe) is unlikely to suit up for Monday Night Football against the Jets.

He is officially a game-time decision. Coach Gary Kubiak said Saturday Tate would "probably be ready" to play, but in a game the Texans are favored to win by nearly 10 points, they simply don't need to risk further injury for their No. 2 back. Tate will likely attempt to go in pre-game warmups, but Justin Forsett should be expected to back-up Arian Foster. You need to make other plans if you were planning to throw a Tate hail mary in deeper fantasy league. Oct 8 - 2:02