[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I need some contract league help for those in them

Whiskey Pimp

We started a brand new local this year and are doing contracts. We've had casual discussions about contracts and penalties for dropping players still holding contracts, trading contracts, etc but nothing formal yet so here is where I need help from those of you in established leagues.

Basically we have 17 roster spots and are limiting our maximum years allocated to keepers at 17 as well. So for example I can keep all 17 of my players at the end of the year by allocating them each a 1 year contract or I can keep 1 player for 17 years and everything in between.

What I'd like to get specific advice on is the following:

i) What does your league calendar look like? When do you have to have your roster down to your max contract amount...is it right before the following year's draft, is it sooner than that? When does a contract year start and end, kickoff to start the season and ends the day after our Super Bowl or is it at the kickoff of the following year? What else is needed in a calendar for this type of league?

ii) What is the penalty for dropping a player holding years remaining on his contract? If I gave CJ0K a 3 year contract out of my allowed 17 and I decided to drop him the next year do I still have to count the remaining 2 years of his contract, do I cut them in half, etc?

iii) Can you "re-up" a contract after you are done or does he automatically go back into the draft once his contract expires?

iv) How do you handle trading players and contracts? If I couldn't "re-up" the contract for Brees when it's up can I trade him to another owner and he can then give a new contract or does the player hit the draft automatically when the contract expires? Do you set a max amount of contract years to be at during the FF season and then have to cut that down or can you not ever go above the 17 years (meaning can I trade a player with 2 years remaining for a player with 3 remaining or do I need to make it equal)?

I really appreciate any and all advice and if I am missing any important factors please let me know as well.

Edited by Whiskey Pimp

In my BoTH contract dynasty leagues (which I believe is based on a format from other BoTH leagues here), we have a 50 year contract cap, where everyone on your roster has to be assigned a contract (besides the developmental taxi squad where 5-7 rookies can be stashed until you're ready to bring them up). So not everything I'm saying will be applicable or desirable for your limited contract keeper format.

i) What does your league calendar look like? When do you have to have your roster down to your max contract amount...is it right before the following year's draft, is it sooner than that? When does a contract year start and end, kickoff to start the season and ends the day after our Super Bowl or is it at the kickoff of the following year? What else is needed in a calendar for this type of league?

The calender rolls over on an arbitrary date at the beginning of the calender year, however with you not having a rookie draft (or offseason activity?) then I guess you can choose whatever date before activity and the season that's convenient to roll them over.

New contracts are not assigned until the week before the season starts.

ii) What is the penalty for dropping a player holding years remaining on his contract? If I gave CJ0K a 3 year contract out of my allowed 17 and I decided to drop him the next year do I still have to count the remaining 2 years of his contract, do I cut them in half, etc?

We add 1 dead year to the team's total until/unless the dropped player is acquired by another team. However players dropped with 3 or more years will retain a dead year through this and the next season, regardless of if he's picked up or not.

iii) Can you "re-up" a contract after you are done or does he automatically go back into the draft once his contract expires?

This is where your format departs from ours. We have a $50 yearly rolling budget that's used for auctions on both FAs and RFAs (players whose contracts have hit zero). The previous owner does not bid on the player, but once the auction ends decides whether to match the highest bid or pass. You can also put a franchise tag on one player for $15 ($20 the second year before he has to go to RFA auction).

Not sure if there's a middle ground between something like this and having to just throw them back, though the latter would certainly simplify it, and isn't markedly different than a normal keeper league.

iv) How do you handle trading players and contracts? If I couldn't "re-up" the contract for Brees when it's up can I trade him to another owner and he can then give a new contract or does the player hit the draft automatically when the contract expires? Do you set a max amount of contract years to be at during the FF season and then have to cut that down or can you not ever go above the 17 years (meaning can I trade a player with 2 years remaining for a player with 3 remaining or do I need to make it equal)?

If you trade a player, the other owner has to honor and make room for the contract under the cap. You can always be below the cap (and is desirable, since we can promote or acquire new contracts for free agents in-season). That trading owner then has an option to extend the acquired players contract for $15 a year, assuming they have contract-year cap room to do so.

Maybe you can just let them extend the player if they have contract room? Extensions do help trade activity, by making it more worth it to trade for a player on a short contract.

Like I said, it's not directly applicable, but this contract dynasty format has been very fun. I'm not sure there would be a huge issue with simplifying it for a limited contract keeper like I mentioned above.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

We started a brand new local this year and are doing contracts. We've had casual discussions about contracts and penalties for dropping players still holding contracts, trading contracts, etc but nothing formal yet so here is where I need help from those of you in established leagues.

Basically we have 17 roster spots and are limiting our maximum years allocated to keepers at 17 as well. So for example I can keep all 17 of my players at the end of the year by allocating them each a 1 year contract or I can keep 1 player for 17 years and everything in between.

What I'd like to get specific advice on is the following:

Drop by any of the BOTH leagues I am in and feel free to read over the rules (Another F'n league, FDSB, No Guts No Glory etc.)

Usually, it is just one dead year to make things simple.

Most of the contract leagues I am in force you to win/match a free agent auction to retain a player. One of them allow you to "extend" a contract but at a multiplied rate of 2.5x. e.g. extending a contract for 2 years costs you 5 "contract years"

Normally, contracts go with the players. The reason is that the contract affects the player values. Drew Brees carries more value than most QBs but if you aren't going to be able to keep him in free agency and he only has one year left, you are going to try to move him whereas if the contract is not in play, he holds a different value.

If you allow trades to decide when you can extend a player's contracts, it is an opening for collusion.

Furd, how is allowing contract extensions an opening for collusion?

Especially when you have to pay to extend, then it jsut allows for one more thing to be priced into the trade.... I guess I can see the flaw in allowing extensions without any sort of price or penalty, but in general, I think it just makes for more thoughtful trades, rather than having to take it in the shorts if you wanna "rent" Brees to someone.

Something I've seen two leagues I've been a part of. Shallow keeper leagues, max keeper of 3 years, can trade to another team and they can in turn keep those players for another three years.

Teams would trade their keepers to each other and then trade back. Some would do a better job than others in disguising it but it happened more than once. There was no true player turnover (the whole reason for contracts in the first place).