[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Real Officials and NFL close to agreement

Bring Back Pat!!!

Per Schefter and Mort:

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

As @mortreport is reporting, an agreement between NFL and NFLRA is at hand and both sides will work to have officials working this weekend.

I don't see it. I see this:

NFL & NFL Refs met till 2 a.m. Still expected to talk but, as @markmaske reported, owners no longer willing to compromise. We'll see.

Edit: This was the first thing I saw come up

http://www.nfl.com/n...ackup-officials

NFL, NFLRA come to agreement on issue of backup officials

The NFL and NFL Referees Association negotiated through Tuesday from 8:30 a.m. until 2 a.m. Wednesday, according to sources briefed on both sides' positions, and at least one breakthrough resulted.

The league and referees have agreed to create a developmental program as a compromise to the NFL's demand for the addition of 21 officials to the current contingent of 121 NFLRA members, per an NFLRA source. The pool of money for the existing officials also will remain the same.

During Tuesday's talks, the owners who have shown no inclination to budge on the referees' benefits issues became involved on a more detailed level in the negotiations, per an NFL source. The federal mediator is said to have kept things on track.

The developmental officials will be mentored by the existing crews and will be assigned to work with them during the week. The developmental officials will not be NFLRA members, will not work games, and will not be eligible to be subbed in initially

Edited by rajncajn

Albert Breer is reporting on NFL.com that they've only reached agreement on one issue...

"The NFL and NFL Referees Association negotiated through Tuesday from 8:30 a.m. until 2 a.m. Wednesday, according to sources briefed on both sides' positions, and at least one breakthrough resulted.

The league and referees have agreed to create a developmental program as a compromise to the NFL's demand for the addition of 21 officials to the current contingent of 121 NFLRA members, per an NFLRA source. The pool of money for the existing officials also will remain the same.

During Tuesday's talks, the owners who have shown no inclination to budge on the referees' benefits issues became involved on a more detailed level in the negotiations, per an NFL source. The federal mediator is said to have kept things on track.

The issue of retirement plans for the referees still has yet to be solved. The NFL also involved benefits experts in Tuesday's talks, per a league source. An NFLRA source said the referees came further off their position Tuesday."

Edited by ABearWithFurniture

Or maybe not... :thinking:

Report: NFL and NFLRA close to ending officials lockout

The NFL and NFL Referees Association are close to ending the officials lockout and both sides will work to have officials on the field this weekend, ESPN.com reports.

An agreement in principle is at hand, according to one source familiar to talks, although NFL owners have postured with a “no more compromise” stance.

Sources say it could take a week or more to get the 121 officials back on the field, and that the locked out referees are training on the new rules that were installed this season. The call got stronger for the regular officials to get back to work after Monday’s night game between the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks ended in controversy.

Commissioner Roger Goodell has wanted the power to “bench” officials who underperform or are downgraded during the season. The NFLRA contends the league already has that ability because there are always between one and four crews that sit home each week and would be more qualified to substitute in such a scenario.

From Jim Irsay:

Jim Irsay@JimIrsay

Your loud voices r heard about getting Refs back. We're desperately trying 2 get it done! We want a deal that improves officiating overall.

The owners should have been at the table long ago to get this deal hammered out, not sitting back letting Roger do their dirty work.

Great, so glad I trusted this and already told several people. I guess I should wait for a more reliable source than some guys tweet. (As right as Schefter may be, as good as his contats may be, this is not a DONE deal.

Look at the bolded words. Nothing was implied except that they're very close and working to make it happen soon:

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

As @mortreport is reporting, an agreement between NFL and NFLRA is at hand and both sides will work to have officials working this weekend.

Look at the bolded words. Nothing was implied except that they're very close and working to make it happen soon:

Yean I guess I stopped reading at "an agreement between NFL and NFLRA".

And the thread title itself says they reached an agreement, not that one was imminent, or close to happening. So it is somewhat misleading. I got excited, and now I'm just a little bummed that maybe we're getting jerked around and there won't be an agreement.