[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Good example of how much the league really cares about player safety

rajncajn

Pats' Bill Belichick fined $50K

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick has been fined $50,000 for "impermissible physical contact with an official" at the conclusion of Sunday's game against the Baltimore Ravens.

Ryan Mundy fined for Heyward-Bey hit

Pittsburgh safety Ryan Mundy was fined $21,000 for a brutal hit on Oakland receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey on Sunday, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Heyward-Bey spent the night in a hospital with neck and concussion issues. He was released the next day and is expected to fully recover. There is no word on when he will be able to play. There was no penalty on the play.

Edited by rajncajn

Illegal and violent hits can be somewhat incidental, and there was no penalty called on the play.

However, the league warned coaches and players to not to treat the replacement refs like substitute teachers they could walk all over. These actions stand to bring complete mayhem on the field, with emotions already running high.

Kinda reaching here Rajn.

• Like 1

He is protecting the league's most valuable commodity. You don't put your hands on a replacement ref. We are like the Cowboys in "Tombstone", before they got shot by William Munney.

Dude, it wasn't really very funny the first 18 posts, but you've killed any bit of humor this schtick had.

Illegal and violent hits can be somewhat incidental, and there was no penalty called on the play.

However, the league warned coaches and players to not to treat the replacement refs like substitute teachers they could walk all over. These actions stand to bring complete mayhem on the field, with emotions already running high.

Kinda reaching here Rajn.

Agreed.

How in the world is that incidental? He had his hands on his chest, so he wasn't trying to "tackle" him. He had his head pointed straight at the WR, not off to the side like he was trying to avoid helmet-to-helmet. His head was down, so any attempt to give him a big fat kiss is out of the question. And he aimed high - it's not like DHB ducked into the hit like we've seen a couple times in the past. The only difference between this one and Joe Mays' punk-ass hit was that the WR wasn't standing there like a statue.

And there is zero correlation between whether a flag is thrown and whether an action is illegal, let alone fineable.

How in the world is that incidental? He had his hands on his chest, so he wasn't trying to "tackle" him. He had his head pointed straight at the WR, not off to the side like he was trying to avoid helmet-to-helmet. His head was down, so any attempt to give him a big fat kiss is out of the question. And he aimed high - it's not like DHB ducked into the hit like we've seen a couple times in the past. The only difference between this one and Joe Mays' punk-ass hit was that the WR wasn't standing there like a statue.

And there is zero correlation between whether a flag is thrown and whether an action is illegal, let alone fineable.

I did not see the hit in question, but Golden Tate was also fined $21,000 for a play he wasn't flagged for. Seems to me that if the play wasn't flagged, then that makes it tougher for them to levy out maximum fines.

Anyways, I do not really care to argue if he should have been fined more or not. I can find plenty of other examples of guys getting fined 50 and 75,000 if you like, but my point was that it's a total reach of a strawman argument here.

I don't think the point was to call attention to that specific hit but rather differentiate between a hit on the field, which happens in a split second, and a coach like Belichik, being warned in advance, chasing down and grabbing an official. Regardless your position on the replacements, they are the law in any one game and you have to respect the law or you get the hammer.

Edited by Cunning Runt

I don't think the point was to call attention to that specific hit but rather differentiate between a hit on the field, which happens in a split second, and a coach like Belichik, being warned in advance, chasing down and grabbing an official. Regardless your position on the replacements, they are the law in any one game and you have to respect the law or you get the hammer.

Precisely what I meant by "can be incidental". I remember the Dunta Robinson fine a few years back, where it looked to me like he lowered his head to lead with his shoulder, but Collie's head came down right into his helmet.. It all just happens so fast that it's tough to determine if it was in fact intentional.

Conversely, Belichick's actions were completely intentional, and something they'd just been warned not to do, after games risked going into total mayhem with no one respecting the refs.

Wow, you guys are f'n ridiculous. I guess you're right, the players have never been warned that there would be severe penalties and/or fines for those kind of hits and there's no way any of those players can keep from launching their helmet into the other player's jaw. Get f'n real... If anybody else had posted this then you'd be lighting your torches & grabbing your pitchforks. What a bunch of hypocritical Dbags. :tdown:

BTW Robinson was fined $50000 for his hit on DJax which got reduced to $25000... He only got $40000 for his hit on Maclin.

I can find you MANY more examples of more vicious and obviously intentional, hits that didn't get teh fines that were doled out to coaches this weekend for hurting the refs poor little feelings. What a load of crap.

Edited by rajncajn

Wow, you guys are f'n ridiculous. I guess you're right, the players have never been warned that there would be severe penalties and/or fines for those kind of hits and there's no way any of those players can keep from launching their helmet into the other player's jaw. Get f'n real... If anybody else had posted this then you'd be lighting your torches & grabbing your pitchforks. What a bunch of hypocritical Dbags. :tdown:

BTW Robinson was fined $50000 for his hit on DJax which got reduced to $25000... He only got $40000 for his hit on Maclin.

I can find you MANY more examples of more vicious and obviously intentional, hits that didn't get teh fines that were doled out to coaches this weekend for hurting the refs poor little feelings. What a load of crap.

:huh:

BTW, the coaches who did this before the second warning only got fines of $25,000 and $30,000.

Belichick didn't listen, and is being made an example of. I also won't deny that several players have been made examples of for particularly egregious hits. Harrison and Suh come to mind, but forgive me for not lighting my torch to go lynch Goodell for trying to make order out of what's turning into complete chaos with a total lack of respect for refs trying to do their job the best they know how.

• Like 1

If you compare it to their salaries:

Belichicks fine = 0.7% annual salary

Mundy's fine = 1.7% annual salary

I don't see a problem here.

What's Del Rio's salary? He got docked $25,000. Can't imagine the D Coordinator gets paid nearly as much as some of these players and his fine was still more.

BTW, it's not about the money. The money probably doesn't make much difference to any of them in relative terms. it's about the message the league is trying to send. They are more worried about protecting their authority and their pocketbooks than their sudden, so-called crusade to protect the players.

It's clear you have a hard on for the league office. I think you're way off base on this one.

BTW, Mundy still got a lesser fine for putting DHB in the hospital.

And I'm almost positive that is because no flag was thrown, because the guy who took a piece of Schaub's ear off got $50,000 and a game suspension.

Actually this article from ESPN backs that up:

A helmet-to-helmet hit draws the automatic $21,000 fine. Steelers linebacker Lawrence Timmons received the same fine for his collision with Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez.

If they gave him more than that, then I assume it would just have been appealed down to $21,000 anyway with no flag thrown.

And regardless, you of all people should know that if you don't take heed to the NFL's warnings, then they're gonna drop the hammer when you don't listen and make an example of you. Clearly the games were on the verge of chaos with the coaches confrontations and players behavior, so something had to be done.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

It's clear you have a hard on for the league office. I think you're way off base on this one.

What's clear to me is that just because you all know I am upset about the bounty scandal that you afford me no credibility on any relating subject.

And I'm almost positive that is because no flag was thrown, because the guy who took a piece of Schaub's ear off got $50,000 and a game suspension.

Actually this article from ESPN backs that up:

If they gave him more than that, then I assume it would just have been appealed down to $21,000 anyway with no flag thrown.

And regardless, you of all people should know that if you don't take heed to the NFL's warnings, then they're gonna drop the hammer when you don't listen and make an example of you. Clearly the games were on the verge of chaos with the coaches confrontations and players behavior, so something had to be done.

In my post I linked the hit on Maclin which was flagged & obviously intentional. It was fined less than Belichck's and was his 2nd such fine. His first hit was $25,000... $5,000 less than Fox for yelling at an official. Robinson obviously didn't take heed to the NFL's warning. But hey, he probably didn't really mean it. So it doesn't really warrant as hefty a fine for touching a ref.

In my post I linked the hit on Maclin which was flagged & obviously intentional. It was fined less than Belichck's and was his 2nd such fine. His first hit was $25,000... $5,000 less than Fox for yelling at an official. Robinson obviously didn't take heed to the NFL's warning. But hey, he probably didn't really mean it. So it doesn't really warrant as hefty a fine for touching a ref.

As you said yourself, it was appealed down to $25,000, Belichick can do the same if he feels it's unwarranted, but cmon man, you know that these plays happen so fast that you cannot determine intent.... And the NFL did in fact directly warn Dunta the same as they directly warned all 32 coaches after the first confrontations:

In a letter to Robinson, Hanks noted, “Future offenses will result in an escalation of fines up to and including suspension.”

Hell, the Redskins WR got fined $15,000 just for throwing a football at Cortland Finnegan, and players incur fines and suspensions for off-the-field stuff, so yes, no matter whether it's conduct unbecoming of the league or dangerous hits (even if incidental like I believe at least 1 of Dunta's was), they will not tolerate it.

But to suggest that the NFL isn't serious about player safety is just laughable. However, that doesn't preclude them from penalizing other clear black eyes to the league as well. This was clearly something that they had to say "enough is enough" as coaches continue to ignore the multiple direct warnings. It greatly escalated tensions to where at times I thought a melee was about to break out on the field.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

What's clear to me is that just because you all know I am upset about the bounty scandal that you afford me no credibility on any relating subject.

Dude, I like you. I do. I never once chimed in ( I don't think I did anyway) on the whole bountygate thing.

And I didn't equate one to the other until you called us douchebags and hypocrites, which frankly, was uncalled for, just because people didn't agree with you.

And my disagreement is based on nothing more than the example you raised. I don't agree with your premise. I think things that happen in a game are just different than how coaches treat officials and that coaches must be held to a higher standard so the bigger fine, to me, is more than justified.