[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ryder Cup - The thread

Cunning Runt

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty awesome afternoon at Medinah. The highlight for me was at the 17th when Phil put it in tight for the win.

Then, watching Tiger drain his putt on 16 to pull within one.

We watched each group tee off of 12, and good lord, these guys can just bomb it.

Very very nice. Enjoy the experience. Ryder Cup baby! :usa:

If Stricker and Furyk never see another world competition, the USA will be better off for it.

What a bunch of chokers - with the exception of a few guys who are nails.

Amazing comeback for the Euro's but a total choke job by the Americans. Sad.

I agree completely.

Very disappointing. You could start to see the unraveling around 1 pm.

Zach Johnson is a killer, a real match play guy. Woods is no longer intimidating. Stricker amd Furyk I agree with the above statements. I like the way Dufner goes about his business.

I think you can add Mr. 0-3-1 to those two

But he wasn't a Captain's Choice, which is his point.

We just rolled over and took one in the chute right there. No guts, no passion. I love Mickelson to death, and I am a big fan of sportsmanship, but I almost puked at his reaction on #17. I may never forgive him for that.

We just rolled over and took one in the chute right there. No guts, no passion. I love Mickelson to death, and I am a big fan of sportsmanship, but I almost puked at his reaction on #17. I may never forgive him for that.

Agree completely. And however Tiger would have finished did not matter today.

I had the kids b-day party going on so I missed most of it. What did Mickelson do?

What is he supposed to do. Start crying?

That was an amazing putt and there is nothing wrong with applauding your opponent's fine play. We talk about teaching kids' sportsmanship, but when we see it on the highest stage, we bash it? Explain to me how you are a "big fan of sportsmanship".....

I coach 7 year old boys soccer. I tell them every week after the game that as important as playing the game and having fun is, it's just as important to repectfully shake hands and say good game to your opponent. These are 7 years olds. Mickelson just got his ass kicked by some European doooosh and he jumps up and down and shoots a load in his pants applauding the guy who just kicked his ass. That's not sportsmanship, that's being someone's b*tch. Now, should he go over there and kick the guy in the nuts? No. But in a highly competitive situation like that I don't understand how or why you would support your opponent. After the match, go over and shake his hand and congratulate him, but don't ask him for a date in the middle of the match.

Are you seeing the separation I'm trying to paint? :unsure:

I see your point, but I don't agree with it. Golf is a gentleman's sport. The Ryder Cup blurs those lines by its very nature.

If I am playing in a hotly contested match and my opponent makes a great shot to win a hole, I am certainy going to applaud his great shot, then try to kick his butt on the next hole.

Golf is not NASCAR or the WWF. The displays of poor behavior over the years in this cometition have been very ungolf like. I applaud Phil for being a class act. we may just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I see your point, but I don't agree with it. Golf is a gentleman's sport. The Ryder Cup blurs those lines by its very nature.

If I am playing in a hotly contested match and my opponent makes a great shot to win a hole, I am certainy going to applaud his great shot, then try to kick his butt on the next hole.

Golf is not NASCAR or the WWF. The displays of poor behavior over the years in this cometition have been very ungolf like. I applaud Phil for being a class act. we may just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Certainly fair points, I can respect that. And I know I won't change your mind, but the difference between you playing golf and applauding your opponent and being on the highest competitive stage and doing the same thing seems like apples and oranges to me. But anywho, I will leave it at that. :)

One big difference between the Ryder Cup compared to 15-20 years ago....most of the Europeans live in the US these days. They're next door neighbors with some of the U.S guys in a lot of cases. A little tougher to "hate" the opponent these days.

Edited by BillyBalata

It's this kind of attitude that causes us to get our ass kicked every Cup. I'd be pissed if someone I was trying to beat made a big shot on me. There is no difference IMO between the Ryder Cup and a football game in terms of "I wanna beat you, you wanna beat me". There doesn't have to physical contact to be ultra competitive. If somebody checkmated you in the world championships of chess, would you applaud their mastery at your expense? Screw the gentlemenly part. Davis Love spewed gentlemanly. Never once did I see him express an actual desire to win. I'm sure he wanted to, but there was no passion. No competitiveness that I saw out of him. The team did not have any passion save for a few guys.

When Bradley and Mickelson were kicking ass, you'd see Mickelson doing a little fist pump like he was supposed to. Looked almost like he had to force being happy. Bradley was legitimately into it.

Give me a guy like Keegan Bradley in these things 100 times out of a 100.

Edited by Cunning Runt

What is he supposed to do. Start crying?

That was an amazing putt and there is nothing wrong with applauding your opponent's fine play. We talk about teaching kids' sportsmanship, but when we see it on the highest stage, we bash it? Explain to me how you are a "big fan of sportsmanship".....

Sportsmanship is for when it's over. You ever see Ray Lewis high five an opponent that just scored the go-ahead TD? Think Tom Brady watched Eli toss the game winner and stood on the sideline and shot him a CHIPS AHOY!-eating grin and a huge thumbs-up? Hell no, he grabbed his helmet, he got fired up, and he went out and tried to win it.

Now it was indeed an amazing shot, and I would have been fine with a small nod, maybe a smirk, maybe even a "good shot" under his breath as he's walking to the next tee. But the dude smiled like a cheshire cat, he applauded excitedly, and he gave him two thumbs up. I saw that exact reaction earlier that afternoon - at my nephew's soccer game, from a parent whose child just scored the first goal of their life. I'm all for that with impressionable youths learning life lessons, I'm not all for that from a professional golfer representing his team and his country while his team is collapsing all around him.