[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Scam Newton

bostonsoxandy

Watching the game now, I gotta say that the pro football report back at draft time a couple years ago seems pretty spot on at parts here 2 years later:

Played in a simplified, run-first, dive-option read offense with very basic high-low reads. Worked exclusively out of the gun and was very quick to run at the first flash of coverage. Limited field vision — does not process the passing game. Inconsistent throwing mechanics with a flick delivery — generates all of his power from his upper-body strength and too often arms the ball. Streaky passer with spotty accuracy. Makes his receivers work hard and throws into coverage. Does not spin a tight spiral. Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and always will struggle to win a locker room. Only a one-year producer. Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.

didn't see the game. can you elaborate?

Yeah, I'm just thinking out loud but from the bits I've seen of the game, and just this season overall, Cam has been incredibly media-driven and I caught a clip of him elaborately (imo obnoxiously) celebrating after getting a 1st down...while down by 10 today. Also saw him smiling after crucially fumbling on that 4th &1 that was a huge mistake....and while they are reviewing it he is smiling on the sidelines. Just seems weird to me, and I remember this report was crucified for being unjust, racist, whatever when it came out, but now it looks pretty darn accurate.

Can you explain why their "report" didn't match up last year?

I guess it did, but nobody really cared because he was a rookie. Rookies are immature. Now he isn't a rookie and people expected his maturity to naturally adjust, and for him to become a true leader. Just not seeing that at all.

in general, seems like he is still exceeding original expectations for him. is he a little immature? sure, but for a 2nd year qb, i think his development is just fine.

+1

A year for a kid like this does not automatically mean he needs to be mature that will come a few more years down the road. Or it won't either way it does not happen overnight

+1

A year for a kid like this does not automatically mean he needs to be mature that will come a few more years down the road. Or it won't either way it does not happen overnight

A year isn't overnight, a year is a year. I think he should be past the college "big-man-on-campus" stage now atleast.

Except he just went through a "big-man-in-city" season as a rookie so that probably wasn't the slap of reality to bring him into maturity.

So then these first 3 weeks should be a glass of water in the face for him, am I right? I feel like he has reached his maturity level where he's at now, and I wouldn't want that leading my team.

So Cam gets off to a bad start and now he is no longer a good football player?I dont know what standard your holding him to but 215 passing yards with 2 TDs and 89 rushing yards and a touchdown soiunds pretty solid to me. What were you expecting of him? 400 yards passing with 3 touchdowns and 150 rushing with 2 touchdowns?

Watching the game now, I gotta say that the pro football report back at draft time a couple years ago seems pretty spot on at parts here 2 years later:

Played in a simplified, run-first, dive-option read offense with very basic high-low reads. Worked exclusively out of the gun and was very quick to run at the first flash of coverage. Limited field vision — does not process the passing game. Inconsistent throwing mechanics with a flick delivery — generates all of his power from his upper-body strength and too often arms the ball. Streaky passer with spotty accuracy. Makes his receivers work hard and throws into coverage. Does not spin a tight spiral. Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and always will struggle to win a locker room. Only a one-year producer. Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.

Cam proved all the idiots in the media wrong last year and they are still upset about it now. He was trashed incessantly going into the draft to a degree I've never seen before from any other elite prospect. It sounds like you bought into all of that and you haven't gotten over it yet either. Odd you would pick the afternoon of his best game this year thus far to post this though.

So Cam gets off to a bad start and now he is no longer a good football player?I dont know what standard your holding him to but 215 passing yards with 2 TDs and 89 rushing yards and a touchdown soiunds pretty solid to me. What were you expecting of him? 400 yards passing with 3 touchdowns and 150 rushing with 2 touchdowns?

Wins.

So then these first 3 weeks should be a glass of water in the face for him, am I right? I feel like he has reached his maturity level where he's at now, and I wouldn't want that leading my team.

He is coming off the greatest rookie season by a QB in history. He's had one terrible game this season, against the defending Super Bowl champs no less!

After four games last year, Carolina had the same record they have this season (1-3). 2 of their losses this season have been to the Giants and the Falcons. Newton's completion percentage through four games is higher this year (63.6% to 59.5%), and his yards per attempt is higher thus far (9.5 to 8.5). His TD/INT is at 4:5, last year it was 5:5.

The Panthers have some significant issues on defense and in the running game with age and injuries, but their QB isn't anywhere near the top of the list of issues. Yeah, he sulked on the sideline, and the veteran leader on the team called him out to step it up. He almost beat the best team in the NFC today in their building if it wasn't for an amazing play by Roddy White. Hardly the right time to call Newton's skills into question.

He is coming off the greatest rookie season by a QB in history. He's had one terrible game this season, against the defending Super Bowl champs no less!

After four games last year, Carolina had the same record they have this season (1-3). 2 of their losses this season have been to the Giants and the Falcons. Newton's completion percentage through four games is higher this year (63.6% to 59.5%), and his yards per attempt is higher thus far (9.5 to 8.5). His TD/INT is at 4:5, last year it was 5:5.

The Panthers have some significant issues on defense and in the running game with age and injuries, but their QB isn't anywhere near the top of the list of issues. Yeah, he sulked on the sideline, and the veteran leader on the team called him out to step it up. He almost beat the best team in the NFC today in their building if it wasn't for an amazing play by Roddy White. Hardly the right time to call Newton's skills into question.

The OP is probably a bama or UGA fan. They hate Cam and will continue to trash him at every possible opportunity.