[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Week 4: Garcon's TD not scored by MFL and CBS

electricrelish

Your commish should adjust your score, that is the dumbest response I have ever heard from a commish. Get your points.

Why is that a dumb response, because you think the points should be awarded? This topic (offensive fumble recovery TD) comes up regularly. If your league doesn't have a scoring category that awards points for it, why should you get points? Change the rules for NEXT YEAR to reflect what you want to do an move on.

You sound like somebody that has never been a commish, and think that rules should be adjusted as you go to satisfy what owners think is reasonable. If you really want to do that, put it to a league.

Do you you think an offensive player that plays on defense and scores a TD (INT or fumble) should get those points as well? If so add a catch all rule "any TD a player scores in any facet of the game will be awarded 6 points, manual changes will be made when necessary.

the actual wording in the scoring section of my yahoo league gives 6 points for "Offensive Fumble Return TD". this might be picky, but i just emailed yahoo to dispute this. garcon merely "recovered" the offensive fumble and did not "return" it. points should not be given unless specifically stated for "recovered" offensive tds. i'll let yall know what they say.

They're the same thing, but good luck playing with the semantics.

You wouldn't be saying that if you we're on the other side of the matchup

Sure I would Garcon scored a TD. I don't care if some site is wrong and doesn't award the pts. Garcon scored and it should reflect it so. This isn't a complicated issue. People get way to hung up on things like this. The dude scored what is so hard to figure out about that.

• Like 1

Sure I would Garcon scored a TD. I don't care if some site is wrong and doesn't award the pts. Garcon scored and it should reflect it so. This isn't a complicated issue. People get way to hung up on things like this. The dude scored what is so hard to figure out about that.

I completely agree. Commissioners are saying things like well it wasn't in our rules to allow fumble recoveries....blah, blah or we can't change a scoring rule in the middle of the season. Why not? It's common sense. If you didn't score Garcon with a TD, then your scoring rules are flawed. Fix it right now and for the rest of the season. There's no reason to wait until next year to consider the matter.

BTW, in my scenario I would have lost the game anyways, but that's not the point.

Edited by electricrelish

I completely agree. Commissioners are saying things like well it wasn't in our rules to allow fumble recoveries....blah, blah or we can't change a scoring rule in the middle of the season. Why not? It's common sense. If you didn't score Garcon with a TD, then your scoring rules are flawed. Fix it right now and for the rest of the season. There's no reason to wait until next year to consider the matter.

BTW, in my scenario I would have lost the game anyways, but that's not the point.

Listen I (and everybody else here) doesn't really care what any leagues do if we're not in them. But changing rules mid season and scoring plays that were not scored in the past is wrong. I would not do it as a commissioner, and I would not stay in a league that did it.

As I said earlier, if you want to do something like this add a simple item in your rule that states if the player scores a TD in a game they get the points, regardless of how the TD is scored (off, def, ST, fumble recovery, etc). Loaf posted a good example.

Just because you guys think you should get the points, doesn't mean the site or league is wrong. Actually if there is no rule saying you get the points, it is you who are wrong.

Edited by stevegrab

Listen I (and everybody else here) doesn't really care what any leagues do if we're not in them. But changing rules mid season and scoring plays that were not scored in the past is wrong. I would not do it as a commissioner, and I would not stay in a league that did it.

As I said earlier, if you want to do something like this add a simple item in your rule that states if the player scores a TD in a game they get the points, regardless of how the TD is scored (off, def, ST, fumble recovery, etc). Loaf posted a good example.

Just because you guys think you should get the points, doesn't mean the site or league is wrong. Actually if there is no rule saying you get the points, it is you who are wrong.

Powerful post Steve...powerful. Way to end it as well. I feel like I am wrong....lol.....the dude scored TD, award the pts. Over thinking this one bub.

Why in the world would you want for an offensive fumble recovery to be scored? Do you normally get rewarded if an offensive player falls on the ball outside the endzone?

Catching the ball takes skill, running the ball takes skill, forcing a fumble takes skill, recovering a fumble is 99% of the time the luck of the bounce and is something I could do if it bounced to me first.

I think people just want to see any TD that happens to involve their players to be scored, even if their player doesn't deserve to be rewarded for anything. Fumbles are penalized and in no other case are rewarded if the offense recovers. Why in the world should that change just because it happened to happen in the endzone?

Powerful post Steve...powerful. Way to end it as well. I feel like I am wrong....lol.....the dude scored TD, award the pts. Over thinking this one bub.

Disagree, you are under-thinking this, because you want a player to be rewarded for something that he would not be rewarded for anywhere else on the filed, that takes little to no skill whatsoever in the vast majority of cases.

FF is meant to reward skilled plays with points, not just anything that happens to result in hitting paydirt.

Disagree, you are under-thinking this, because you want a player to be rewarded for something that he would not be rewarded for anywhere else on the filed, that takes little to no skill whatsoever in the vast majority of cases.

FF is meant to reward skilled plays with points, not just anything that happens to result in hitting paydirt.

How is that not skill? You ever see those big mamas try to jump on a ball...that sucker squirts out every time!

How is that not skill? You ever see those big mamas try to jump on a ball...that sucker squirts out every time!

Yes, my mistake, you always hear about the great fumble recoverers in the league. The difficulty of securing an oddly shaped object in a crowd of people is not synonymous with skill. In some cases maybe it can be, but in plenty of cases it isn't. It's luck.

And if you don't like that part of the argument, do you think that offensive players should be rewarded points if they recover a fumble anywhere else on the field? If not, then it's a double-standard and a convenient argument that it's only rewarded because it happens to be in the endzone. It's either worthy of points or it isn't.

Yes, my mistake, you always hear about the great fumble recoverers in the league. The difficulty of securing an oddly shaped object in a crowd of people is not synonymous with skill. In some cases maybe it can be, but in plenty of cases it isn't. It's luck.

And if you don't like that part of the argument, do you think that offensive players should be rewarded points if they recover a fumble anywhere else on the field? If not, then it's a double-standard and a convenient argument that it's only rewarded because it happens to be in the endzone. It's either worthy of points or it isn't.

He's not being rewarded for recovering a fumble. He is being rewarded for scoring a touchdown. You don't see him getting a point for the fumble recovery (except in leagues that do give points to offensive players for recovering fumbles) and then points for the touchdown; just for the touchdown. By your logic, a receiver in a non-PPR league shouldn't get points for catching a TD pass as they aren't rewarded points for catches made elsewhere on the field.

Where I disagree with snoop2 is in his statement that the site has scored it wrong. The site isn't wrong, the way your league set it up is, assuming your league rules allow for offensive fumble recovery TDs to be scored for the individual player. If your league rules do not allow for this, than the site is correct. That's not to say you can't request a vote to change your league rules, either for future season's or even for this season.

Edited by Big Country

He's not being rewarded for recovering a fumble. He is being rewarded for scoring a touchdown. You don't see him getting a point for the fumble recovery (except in leagues that do give points to offensive players for recovering fumbles) and then points for the touchdown; just for the touchdown. By your logic, a receiver in a non-PPR league shouldn't get points for catching a TD pass as they aren't rewarded points for catches made elsewhere on the field.

Where I disagree with snoop2 is in his statement that the site has scored it wrong. The site isn't wrong, the way your league set it up is, assuming your league rules allow for offensive fumble recovery TDs to be scored for the individual player. If your league rules do not allow for this, than the site is correct. That's not to say you can't request a vote to change your league rules, either for future season's or even for this season.

Ding ding, we have a winner. Nobody cares what you award points for in your league. If your league is supposed to award points for this and you didn't get points, then the league was not set up correctly. But I think is happening is people don't care what their league rules are, if a player scores a TD they DEMAND the points. And no amount of discussion will chang their mind.

If you want that scored, make sure it is

1) in your rules

2) setup in the league web site scoring properly

If one of those isn't right, take it up with your commissioner. Nobody here can change that. If you're just looking for that warm hug to reassure you that you are right, and were robbed by terrible rules, you're in the wrong place.

OK, fair enough, but more to my point is that no one in their right mind scores offensive fumble recoveries. Thus, even if your league doesn't award catches, does not mean that catches aren't a viable category, when you still get rewarded for their yardage and TDs.

Maybe if your league rewards offensive fumble recovery return yardage (wow that's a mouthful), then it might make sense to allow TDs as well. However, in most all cases, I jsut do not see this as a worthy scoring category for falling on a ball that hpapens to be in the endzone, and then treat it like it's the same as a pass or catch.

A TD is a TD last time I checked. 49 of my 50 leaguese counted it as a TD and the 1 league that it did not count was becaue the MFL site for scoring was not set up correctly but it is in the rules as a TD. The commish of the league has not set things up correctly if it is not counted as a TD.

Edited by Henry Muto