[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mendenhall - what to expect?

Lippy225

Huddle Up: The Steelers prematurely activated Mendenhall in the preseason; had he remained on the PUP list he would still be a couple weeks away from returning to action. So you have to think the Steelers had Week 5 as their target for him to get back in the mix. Isaac Redman has already indicated he thinks Mendenhall will return to the feature back role, but with Redman and Jonathan Dwyer having flashed some ability during Mendenhall's absence it may be more of a committee approach in Pittsburgh.

I've been sitting on Mendenhall waiting to come back strong. Even trading away Mcgahee as a bye week filler anticipating using Mendy for that role. The report that the Huddle gave today seemed to contradict what at least the stats say in Pitt. Pittsburg is 31st in rushing at 65 YPG. I have not seen any Steelers games, but have Redman and Dwyer "flashed some ability"? It looks to me like they have been horrible. Any homers that can comment or anyone else have decent asperations for Mendy?

As a Mendenhall owner in a couple dynasty leagues, he has routinely disappointed me since I drafted him. Should have been more productive than he was, despite the bad O-lines in Pitt. Now he's coming back from an ACL, I am personally not optimistic. We'll find out soon I guess. I would have kept McGahee.

I do however, agree with you that it's questionable whether either of those other two guys have "flashed some ability" this year.

I agree that Mendy seems to be the only one that has the talent to take over a feature gig there (or ummm, retake his feature gig). However, I think what the Huddle is getting at is that the other backs have shown "enough" ability to possibly quash a lot of his value.

Such is how it goes with speculative pickups in unsure situations. I think he's worth the flier, but I'd be looking at backup plans.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

As a Mendenhall owner in a couple dynasty leagues, he has routinely disappointed me since I drafted him. Should have been more productive than he was, despite the bad O-lines in Pitt. Now he's coming back from an ACL, I am personally not optimistic. We'll find out soon I guess. I would have kept McGahee.

I do however, agree with you that it's questionable whether either of those other two guys have "flashed some ability" this year.

I have Rice and MJD so McGahee basically will never start...was very weak at QB so had to use him to improve. Appreciate the feedback...

Watching Redman and Dwyer over the first three games has made me realize that Mendenhall has a lot more talent than I was giving him credit for. I took him extremely late in both of my drafts, so, based on that he will be a steal. However, the Steelers offensive talent lies with their QB, TE & WR's, and the Steelers know it. They will be using the run to setup the pass, and not the other way around. With all of that said, in the new fantasy football world, there are only a small handful of RB's who score well consistently, so, I have some hope for Mendenhall. I think the Steelers will put up some points this year, so, there will be TD's to be had out of the backfield. I'm curious to see if they will let Mendenhall take the goal-line carries, or will they bring in Redman on the goal-line. To sum it all up, I think that he holds some value, especially where you likely got him, but, he isn't going to be a top tier RB in this offense.

I also agree with you completely and disagree with the Huddle opinion. Neither Redman or Dwyer have flashed ability, they've been dreadful. Mendy will surely be given the full opportunity to be the bell cow for Pitt, if he can handle it. He will surely be bettter than what's been going on there the first few weeks.

If you can get Mendy, buy low now, hope he can do better than he finished last year and throw Redman and Dwyer to the curb.

Edited by irish

Last year, Mendy averaged 15 carries and 62 yards per game. He also averaged 1.2 receptions per game. Mendy scored in seven out of 15 games he played. This was with a solid knee. Coming off major surgery, I would not expect he would do better the rest of this year.