[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bench points is a stupid tiebreaker

matt770

No, you're all wrong. I'm the better player and had this been decided based on coaching efficiency, I win. Therefore any other random method that says I lost is by definition wrong. I hate fantasy football.

If you were the better player, you wouldn't have tied. :whistle:

If you were the better player, you wouldn't have tied. :whistle:

SNICKERSING DENNIS PITTA LEADS THE SNICKERSING LEAGUE IN TIGHT END TARGETS, AND IT WAS THE GODDAMN BROWNS MOTHERSNICKERSER You're absolutely right, I have learned a valuable lesson and will do better next time.

I agree. Why should one owner be reward because he left the most points on the bench. Stupidest tiebreaker ever,

Simple solution, don't play in leagues that have stupid rules. If he knew the rules, he needed to understand he could lose (or win) because of that tie breaker. Bitching and moaning about ti being stupid, and how something else is fine, if the discussion is "how should we break ties". Instead its being used as "I got screwed because of this crappy rule."

I'm starting to think Matt is just :fishy:

Simple solution, don't play in leagues that have stupid rules. If he knew the rules, he needed to understand he could lose (or win) because of that tie breaker. Bitching and moaning about ti being stupid, and how something else is fine, if the discussion is "how should we break ties". Instead its being used as "I got screwed because of this crappy rule."

I don't play in any leagues that use bench points as a tie breaker.

I don't play in any leagues that use bench points as a tie breaker.

Neither do I, but Matt does and this thread was started to bitch about it and complain how he lost because of it.

I guess I mistakenly thought your "I agree" was somehow agreeing with his initial sentiment.

I simply don't understand why people agree to rules, then complain when they are applied and it isn't to their benefit. Would Matt be saying it was a stupid rule if he won on the tie breaker?

No, really, I was the rightful winner. I got screwed because of a bad rule. The league happens to be my local and I'm not going to quit over a bad rule. Venting is therapeutic and watching the reactions of various SNICKERSwits like yourself can be amusing at times.

I don't do that, ever.

No, really, I was the rightful winner. I got screwed because of a bad rule. The league happens to be my local and I'm not going to quit over a bad rule. Venting is therapeutic and watching the reactions of various SNICKERSwits like yourself can be amusing at times.

I don't do that, ever.

:moon:

I've lost on a bench tiebreaker before. We now have total TDs from starters as the first tiebreaker. I would prefer to either allow ties or to allow decimal scoring to avoid tiebreakers. The league votes on rule changes, and though I've brought it up in my main local for three years running, it hasn't changed. The league is awesome otherwise, so I just deal with it. Still, it stings when you lose one like that. No doubt.

Simple solution, don't play in leagues that have stupid rules.

Give me a break. You think the simple solution is to quit because of one rule? These sort of tiebreakers come up pretty rarely, and if the league is otherwise fun, then leaving the league is actually a pretty extreme solution.

I made roster moves a few years ago to illustrate how silly bench points was as a tiebreaker and it lead to our league changing rules. We now use total TD's in starting lineup (only in playoffs, regular season ties are ok), and after that go to highest scoring single player, 2nd highest, etc...

When we were using bench points during the playoffs I dropped most of my backups and picked up 4-5 of the remaining QB's. We didn't have a QB roster limit, and with all td's 6pts, even the bottom rung of NFL starting QB's are likely to outscore fantasy backup positional options so I made sure I had 50-60 QB points on the bench as a tiebreaker. Working the system yes, but also did it to expose flaws and it worked.

Give me a break. You think the simple solution is to quit because of one rule? These sort of tiebreakers come up pretty rarely, and if the league is otherwise fun, then leaving the league is actually a pretty extreme solution.

That was meant as a response to Matt who is complaining about the rule and calling it stupid. He's acting like he got screwed by something wrong. I know I replied to Grits, but he too was making it sound like the rule should just be dismissed and Matt awarded the win.

You apparently know the rules in your league and have tried to change them, but have not been successful. I suspect that if you lose because of that rule you won't be starting a thread like Matt did.

Every week somebody is complaining about thier rules, which they (should) know when joining the league. If they don't like the rule and think its stupid work to change it. If you're still not happy (because you couldn't change the rule then lost), don't play in the league anymore.

I think we need a new forum for people to just whine and complain about things. It muddies up the main forum, along with "is this guy going to be good this week, my opponent started them and ..." type threads.

I think we need a new forum for people to just whine and complain about things. It muddies up the main forum, along with "is this guy going to be good this week, my opponent started them and ..." type threads.

We already have that forum - it's called the advice forum.

I made roster moves a few years ago to illustrate how silly bench points was as a tiebreaker and it lead to our league changing rules. We now use total TD's in starting lineup (only in playoffs, regular season ties are ok), and after that go to highest scoring single player, 2nd highest, etc...

When we were using bench points during the playoffs I dropped most of my backups and picked up 4-5 of the remaining QB's. We didn't have a QB roster limit, and with all td's 6pts, even the bottom rung of NFL starting QB's are likely to outscore fantasy backup positional options so I made sure I had 50-60 QB points on the bench as a tiebreaker. Working the system yes, but also did it to expose flaws and it worked.

The same thing happened in a league I'm in. After a couple years of the bench point tie breaker, every playoff team started dumping lower level backups in a rush to stack their bench with QBs. We changed the rules allowing regular season ties and using regular season seeding as the tie breaker for playoff games.

That was meant as a response to Matt who is complaining about the rule and calling it stupid. He's acting like he got screwed by something wrong. I know I replied to Grits, but he too was making it sound like the rule should just be dismissed and Matt awarded the win.

You apparently know the rules in your league and have tried to change them, but have not been successful. I suspect that if you lose because of that rule you won't be starting a thread like Matt did.

Every week somebody is complaining about thier rules, which they (should) know when joining the league. If they don't like the rule and think its stupid work to change it. If you're still not happy (because you couldn't change the rule then lost), don't play in the league anymore.

No ... I was not suggesting that the rule should be dismissed. If you have a rule that says bench points are the tie-breaker then you have no business whining when you lose a tie-breaker to another team that had more points on his bench. My comment was intended to indicate my belief that this is about the dumbest way I know to break a tie.

No ... I was not suggesting that the rule should be dismissed. If you have a rule that says bench points are the tie-breaker then you have no business whining when you lose a tie-breaker to another team that had more points on his bench. My comment was intended to indicate my belief that this is about the dumbest way I know to break a tie.

Thanks for the clarification.

I also may be reading Matt wrong, maybe he's just bitching and whining and not saying he should have won, or the league should change rules mid season. But the degree to which he complained repeatedly makes me wonder.

We added negative points for INT/fumble in our league this year. If I lose a game on MNF because one of my players has a late turnover, I might say "man what a crappy way to win" but I'm not going to say "stupidest rule ever deducting points for a turnover." My point being if you know the rules, and lose because of them, complaining that the rules are stupid is kind of :crazy: