[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lots of points but losing record...

westdeerwarrior

These anomalies happen all the time. In my league the guy with the fewest points started 3-0. That's just fantasy football, it's a completely pointless and random exercise that allows you to gloat and pretend you're a genius when you happen to do well.

That's just fantasy football, it's a completely pointless and random exercise that allows you to gloat and pretend you're a genius when you happen to do well.

I LOLed at that

These anomalies happen all the time. In my league the guy with the fewest points started 3-0. That's just fantasy football, it's a completely pointless and random exercise that allows you to gloat and pretend you're a genius when you happen to do well.

I know this was sarcastic, but there really do seem to be peopel that believe it's jsut 100% luck.

Drafting is skill (an art really to know where to wait and pounce), Roster management is a skill, Trading is a skill. It's H2H that's luck (but obviously we do it that way because it's more fun).

However, the way some torture themselves over the luck factor, perhaps they should reevaluate how fun it is for them, win or lose.

Yup, it happens. Also one of the reasons I really like the FFPC method of determining the playoff participants:

1st seed is the best record

2nd seed is the highest scoring team (of the remaining 11 teams)

3rd seed is the best record (of the 10 remaining teams)

4th seed is the highest scoring team (of the remaining 9 teams)

This method rewards head to head performance but also smooths out the luck factor of the head to head schedule by rewarding the high scoring teams.

I know this was sarcastic, but there really do seem to be peopel that believe it's jsut 100% luck.

Drafting is skill (an art really to know where to wait and pounce), Roster management is a skill, Trading is a skill. It's H2H that's luck (but obviously we do it that way because it's more fun).

However, the way some torture themselves over the luck factor, perhaps they should reevaluate how fun it is for them, win or lose.

In my years of playing in lots of leagues and different formats, I've seen lots of teams get completely screwed through no fault of their own and lots of teams back into the playoffs and win money because of some fluke matchup anomalies. But by and large, the guys who do their homework, draft well and manage their teams well all year are rewarded more often than not, and the schlubs are justly punished. It's a lot like poker in that way, except in poker the sample size is much larger and the variance has less of an impact.

• Like 2

I'm 2-2, have the most points in my league by 11 in front of 2nd place and am 50 points higher than the median points for the league... All those below the median are 2-2 or worse, there are no undefeated teams and only three teams (of 12) at 3-1.

BTW, I'm not gonna complain about my record... Coming outta the draft I never thought I'd have accrued this many points so far this season.

3rd in points in my 12 man but everyone I play goes nuts on me :pullhair: anyone else having this kinda year?

Our league protects against that, as we have adopted a unique way to make the playoffs and how the seedings/playoffs are played. I know most have hated it when I've mentioned it before, but, we love it.

It is a 10 Team League

One Division

Top 4 Records make the playoffs

Top 2 Remaining points make the playoffs

Playoffs are re-seeded by points

Top 2 Seeds get a 1st Round Bye

#3 vs. #6 and #4 vs. #5 with a 1-15 point homefield advantage going to the higher seed (advantage is how many points you out-scored your opponent by in the regular season, up to a 15 point maximum)

Lowest seeded winner vs. #1 seed with a homefield advantage same as above

Highest seeded winners vs. #2 seed with a homefield advantage same as above

Championship game between the two winners with no homefield advantage

Our league has been running since 1997 with most of the same owners. This will be our third year running this way. I love it. We still play head to head, and you can earn your way into the playoffs that way, but, in the end, it rewards those who earned an advantage by out-performing the other teams through 13 weeks.

In our first year, I was the #5 seed, and won by 14 points against the #1 seed, but, he had the #1 seed, and I lost by a point due to the advantage. It was a tough loss, but, he earned those points in my mind by out-scoring me, by a solid margin, in the regular season.

Last year, we have a #5 seed win the whole thing. He overcame the 15 point advantage in the 1st two rounds and then won the championship.

In my years of playing in lots of leagues and different formats, I've seen lots of teams get completely screwed through no fault of their own and lots of teams back into the playoffs and win money because of some fluke matchup anomalies. But by and large, the guys who do their homework, draft well and manage their teams well all year are rewarded more often than not, and the schlubs are justly punished. It's a lot like poker in that way, except in poker the sample size is much larger and the variance has less of an impact.

There was an article here written by one of the better author;s this site has ever used that went into some of the similarities of FF and poker, in terms of ways to minimize the luck factor. There's no way to completely avoid it, just like in poker, but those that do their homework can minimize it's impact vs. someone that doesn't do their homework.

FFPC I am 2nd in the league in points, in the top 300 overall (in a field of over 3000) and I'm 2-2. Luckily as stated above total points help determine playoff teams but I'm averaging over 150 pts a week with my lowest score being 143. Seems like I should have a better fate than 2-2 but thats the breaks. :weird: