[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

it's Orton AND Tebow time!

Azazello1313

I don't necessarily dispute any of those criticisms of tebow, but here they are non sequitur. the statement was made about what desperate straits you'd be in down 6 late in a game with tebow as your QB, and I was just pointing to history to say that maybe that's not so bad a situation to be after all. I think the biggest problem with tebow as your QB against a good team is being in the position late in the game where you're ONLY down 6.

Gotcha, I just thought the conversation was headed that way, so figured I'd go ahead and express what a dumpster fire that would be without a strong defense to lean on.

The whole "winner/intangibles vs. stats/ability" argument is a difficult one to have, because there's really no answer.

well it's even more difficult, IMO, because while the winner/intangibles side of that argument is an easy win for tebow, the "ability" argument is actually more nuanced than a lot of people will recognize. drop-back passing ability, sure, edge sanchez. but you gotta keep in mind that last year, behind orton, the broncos were in the bottom third of teams in the league in rushing offense. once tebow took over they were #1. he opens up a teams entire running game. now you can cue up the arguments about how you can't win NFL championships with a 1980s-era Big-8 offense, particularly not in this pass-dominated era. and ultimately I agree with that. but I would argue you're more likely to win that way than you are with a chitty drop-back QB like orton or sanchez. last season with the broncos demonstrates that pretty well I think.

Romo is not the issue in Dallas it is the line, Orton would get eaten alive back there.

That's becoming a tired argument. If Romo was a prototypical pocket QB, there'd be something there. But one thing that Romo is about as good at as any QB in the league it's moving to safety, knowing where the LOS is, and getting the ball down field.

I'm honestly not sure if he'd even be better off if his line gave him a nice pocket to work out of.