The Huddle on Facebook Facebook   The Huddle on Twitter Twitter   The Huddle Mobile Mobile
HOME FANTASY DRAFT KIT IN SEASON ARTICLES NEWS STATS FORUMS TEAMS PLAYERS NFL DRAFT NFL ABOUT TICKETS myHuddle

Need to get a better lens.....

seeing limitations..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lkirc

lkirc

Huddler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Cooking, Boozing, Family
  • Fan of the:Lions

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

I bought my wife a Canon Rebel T3/1100D with the standrard 18-55mm lens for Christmas.

We love the camera, but are really seeing the limitations of such a crappy lens. Live and learn.

So now we are looking for a better lens.

What should I look for?

Can any lens fit this camera or do I need to only buy Canon lenses?

135mm?

200MM?

300mm?

Any recommendations?

#2 tbimm

tbimm

Huddler All-Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,033 posts
  • Fan of the:Saints

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

View Postlkirc, on 04 October 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

I bought my wife a Canon Rebel T3/1100D with the standrard 18-55mm lens for Christmas.

We love the camera, but are really seeing the limitations of such a crappy lens. Live and learn.

So now we are looking for a better lens.

What should I look for?

Can any lens fit this camera or do I need to only buy Canon lenses?

135mm?

200MM?

300mm?

Any recommendations?
As far as fit you can buy Canon or there are several off brands making some nice lens' for the Canon bodies. Tamron and Sigma are 2 such brands. As far as a great all purpose walk around lens goes. I feel this is the best out there.http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron_18-270_3p5-6p3_vc_n15
I used this lens almost exclusively on an event shoot. It is slightly limited in low light but I was shooting with flash so it performed awesome. If I had it to do over again this would have been my first lens purchase but I got excited and purchased a few other focal ranges first and they are now covered by this lens.

What you are shooting will greatly effect which lens you need. If it is all around shooting, like I do, I feel this lens is a must have. It is small and comparably light and in this price range it is unbeatable IMO.

The more you shoot the more you will notice lens limitations. Outside of stacking your bag with L series lens', that will always be the case. L series lens' are very expensive.

Edit to add; Tamron also offers a 6 year warranty on their lens' versus Canon with only 1 year. I am not knocking Canon here, just pointing out the discrepancy.

Edited by tbimm, 06 October 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#3 Azazello1313

Azazello1313

Huddler Hall Of Fame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,946 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

if you're looking for a one-lens type solution, you'll want to stick with a mid-range zoom.  maybe like a 16-50 f2.8 (tamron or sigma make reasonably priced lenses in this category), or if you prioritize more telephoto reach over speed, maybe something like this.  the 18-250 tbimm mentioned might work nicely for you.

if you go for a fixed focal length lens ("prime"), you won't want to start with something 135mm or greater.  those are telephoto lenses that aren't as useful for everyday use.  you'd want to start with a "normal" range prime, which for a crop-sensor camera like yours would be in the 28-40mm range.  (50mm was the typical "normal prime" for film SLRs, but it is a more awkward focal length on crop digital SLRs).  I don't know what your options are in the canon lens line, but I know Nikon and Sony both make 35mm/f1.8 lenses that are cheap and awesome.  if the canon line has something similar it would be a good bet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users