[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rams and Cardinals Official Thread

do94nbpt

Because they're actually a good team. Or at least, they have a good D. They also completely shut down Philly, who has beaten both Balt and NYG.

The Rams aren't bad either. Well, again, at least their D isn't.

I think NFC West match-ups aren't going to be all that pleasing on the eye as all four teams seem stronger on D than they are on offense. In other words. Lot's of FGs.

Numbers-wise (4 games, we're at the bare minimum of a sample size), both Ds are actually kinda unexceptional - middle-of-the-road in most #s, exceptions for Arizona's D in pts scored (3rd) and TOs (4th).

Oddly, Seattle has the best statistical D of the 3, but that's probably because they've faced a lesser schedule - the inconsistent Cowboys, out-of-sync Packers, and offensively retarded Cards and Rams (hey, wait a minute...)

Numbers-wise (4 games, we're at the bare minimum of a sample size), both Ds are actually kinda unexceptional - middle-of-the-road in most #s, exceptions for Arizona's D in pts scored (3rd) and TOs (4th).

Oddly, Seattle has the best statistical D of the 3, but that's probably because they've faced a lesser schedule - the inconsistent Cowboys, out-of-sync Packers, and offensively retarded Cards and Rams (hey, wait a minute...)

I have a hard time reconciling the statement "acutally kinda unexceptional except for being #3 in points allowed". I've often wondered why the default for offensive and defensive rankings is yards and not points.

I have a hard time reconciling the statement "acutally kinda unexceptional except for being #3 in points allowed". I've often wondered why the default for offensive and defensive rankings is yards and not points.

In my mind, it's when a team allows a lot of yards (relative to other teams) but not a lot of points, as a general rule they'll probably regress to the mean, and have a stretch where whatever magical spell is keeping teams out of the end zone stops working.

I'd think, without having had the benefit of watching Arizona play, that they're getting timely turnovers - they are 1st in fumble recoveries but middle-of-the-pack in ints. FR are generally luck. At some point, the balls are going to start bouncing the other way and, assuming things stay as they are (i.e. don't do anything particularly well on D and are downright inept on offense), everyone is going to be talking about why AZ cooled off after their hot start.

Really?? Ryan Williams is down on the ground pretty much motionless and the Rams players are high fiving each other.. Way to keep it classy, Rams.. :clap:

"He didn't fumble, so we figured he was OK."

Because they're actually a good team. Or at least, they have a good D. They also completely shut down Philly, who has beaten both Balt and NYG.

The Rams aren't bad either. Well, again, at least their D isn't.

Well, that good D is making Grandpa Jackson look like Adrian Peterson. And there ain't anything special about the St. Louis defense. 5 swinging gates would protect Kolb better.

"We want Skelton!" (clap.. clap.. clap, clap, clap)

More like a tackle on either side that can hold a block for longer than a second...

Edited by Shorttynaz

In my mind, it's when a team allows a lot of yards (relative to other teams) but not a lot of points, as a general rule they'll probably regress to the mean, and have a stretch where whatever magical spell is keeping teams out of the end zone stops working.

I'd think, without having had the benefit of watching Arizona play, that they're getting timely turnovers - they are 1st in fumble recoveries but middle-of-the-pack in ints. FR are generally luck. At some point, the balls are going to start bouncing the other way and, assuming things stay as they are (i.e. don't do anything particularly well on D and are downright inept on offense), everyone is going to be talking about why AZ cooled off after their hot start.

You make it sound like AZ is actually bad in terms of yards allowed. In yards per play, they're actually 7th, so they'd likely rank higher in yards allowed if the offense could sustain a drive long enough to keep them off the field. Even still, it's not like they're back of the pack and just keeping teams out of the endzone with smoke and mirrors.

So, seems reasonable. Combine being reasonably effective in yards allowed and add in some ball-hawking (after all, recovering fumbles may take luck, but causing them is another story). And you end up with a good D.