[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Blatant Calls by Refs, Week 5

overworkedirish

Saints first win was an embarrassment to win like that. I haven't seen such a lopsidedly called game since... oh, 1pm. Against the Dolphins.

In favor of Cincy, Ref Walt Coleman blew three obvious calls that ALL WENT TO REPLAY. Announcers were stunned by all of them.

Edited by overworkedirish

The only thing the "real refs" have been better at so far, has been pace of play. I have seen little, if any difference, other than the networks don't show 10 replays everytime a flag is thrown to wine about the refs. The NFL felt bad for the Saints and the flags on the last drive hammered it home. The Pass Interference on Gates was laughable.

Saints first win was an embarrassment to win like that. I haven't seen such a lopsidedly called game since... oh, 1pm. Against the Dolphins.

In favor of Cincy, Ref Walt Coleman blew three obvious calls that ALL WENT TO REPLAY. Announcers were stunned by all of them.

Because announcers are so knowledgeable about the rules.

I didn't think it was that bad. Yeah, the offensive PI on Gates was a bit ticky tack, but it was no worse than the one earlier on Greer that led to a score. San Diego ended up with a first down anyway on the next play. To say the NFL felt bad for the Saints is just completely off base, regardless of how you feel this game was called.

The games are much more in flow and the calls much more decisive. Games played by humans and officiated by humans. Siep back and get a life.

I don't have a dog in the fight and don't care about who wins, etc. In watching as much as I have the past two weeks, I truly don't think the "real refs" have done any better at getting the penalties correct than the replacements, but there is no doubt the pace of the game and processes are much better.

In regard to getting a life.... no disrepect but feel free to do the same... not sure what was so "I have no life" to you, but so be it.

What really killed the Chargers there in the end was keeping an injured LT out there on the final drive. He gave up the early sack in the drive and he gave up the sack/fumble that ended the drive.

No doubt.... classic Norv Turner football team.... solid schemes, but lack of detail preparation and common sense

What really killed the Chargers there in the end was keeping an injured LT out there on the final drive. He gave up the early sack in the drive and he gave up the sack/fumble that ended the drive.

That and the roughing the QB call on the interception for a TD by the Chargers. Rookie mistake there.

Edited by Chargerz

Saw that. What did you think about it? It looked to me that Ingram struck Brees with his facemask in Brees' upper chest.

If you're not going to allow us to post any type of media then at least fix the software so that it doesn't force the media tags on any video posted. :glare:

Edited by rajncajn

Typical Norv coached team. No surprise his W/L record in one possession games is awful.

No one saw the LT was limping around and got beat the play before?

I also blame the player as well. He should have taken a knee and gotten out of the game. I understand the player trying to gut it out, but that was beyond that. He couldn't move. He has to be smart enough to get off the field.

Last night was typical Chargers, and why they will go nowhere. Wonder when Norv finally gets canned. And BTW...the AFC West is terrible.

Southern Louisiana and New Orleans are famous for their food. From what I saw, there was a lot of home cookin' going on last night.

There were A LOT of holding flags left in pockets against the Saints O-Line and Floyd and Gates were beings mugged all night (confirmed by replays and commentary on TV a few times).

If the call on Ingrahm was valid, then the game has become so wussified it is sad. He was coming and Brees was forced to throw a ball that should have (was) a pick six. Poor Drew gets popped in the chest, his head snaps forward and his face mask bounces off the rookies helmet. How was he supposed to stop? I thought he did a good job getting his hands down and NOT hitting him in the head. That one play/call changed the whole mindset of the Chargers and they never recovered. Even if they had, watching that last drive, they weren't going to be allowed to recover. So much for the "real refs" being "less obtrusive". Until that play, the Bolt D was doing a great job. It fell apart from there.

But, we can't ruin Drew's big record breaking night.

Funny thing. As a Charger fan for 40 years, with the replacement refs, I thought the Chargers were getting some of the most balanced games I had seen on a consistent basis maybe ever. Bring'em back as far as I'm concerned. (The emmaculate deception and the Hock-a-loogie call are two that most of you would know, but the list is painfully long).

By the way, I could care less about the Packers or the Seahawks, but I could easily see why a TD was called.

Thanks. While much further away than the replay on TV last night, it still supports my question.

(B) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:

(2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of

the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body.

( B) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:

(2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of

the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body.

Yep, looks like this one falls into the "I've seen worse but that looks like a penalty" category. And, the guy making the call should rightly do so not based on what play he's negating, but whether it's a call. However, had that ball fallen incomplete, the call wouldn't be nearly as scrutinized.

Well, I'll just say that right now I will take a win any way they can get it. I'm happy just to see them get one in the W column. But please, let's stop with the NFL/refs had the fix in for the Saints. It's one thing to say there were some bad calls, that I won't deny, but to say that the league felt bad for the Saints so they let them win is just sour grapes.

Looks to me like he led with the crown of the helmet, which you're not supposed to do.

Thats exactly what it was. Same type of play overturned a Luck fumble in the game against the Packers. You can't lead with the crown of your helmet anywhere on the QB. Head up, face up. These guys should know this by now.

Yep, looks like this one falls into the "I've seen worse but that looks like a penalty" category. And, the guy making the call should rightly do so not based on what play he's negating, but whether it's a call. However, had that ball fallen incomplete, the call wouldn't be nearly as scrutinized.

My question is why the dumbasses even put themselves in the position in the first place. There is no reason to lead with the helmet as a pass rusher, period. Zero good can come out of it aside from injuring the opponent so unless you are a NO player, why are you even doing it?