[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Per Schefter - Donald Brown out with knee surgery

White lightning

Per Schefter "Colts interim HC Bruce Arians said RB Donald Brown underwent knee surgery, will be out two to three weeks. Vick Ballard will start." I'm in a bad way with Sproles on bye, Fjax sucking, andf Powell an unknown commodity. Are there any homers that have a feel for Ballard? I see he's got a 2.0 YPC..... Nice!

This could be a Wally Pipp event. I like Ballard a lot, even though I don't own him in any league, and Brown is no great shakes as a starting RB. Very underestimated RB, IMO.

ETA - from earlier this year:

Liking Ballard as a late sleeper in redraft leagues. Neither guy in front of him has taken the starting job and owned it despite numerous chances to do so. Ballard runs very hard between the tackles, has a nose for the end zone, catches very well out of the backfield, pass blocks well, and has the size and attitude to match what his HC is looking for in a running back. I like him more to make a splash this year than any rookie not named Richardson or Martin, and it's close with Martin. Keep a close eye on him in TC.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Any insight on why his YPC has been so low?

Hard to say. Looks like IND has been using him as a bewteen-the-tackles (and mostly up the middle) masher out of run formations, and he hasn't gotten a lot of work. I'd like to see what he could do with 15+ touches and on the field in various formations. It could also be that his talent just isn't transferring to the next level for some reason. We'll have to see, but this is his opportunity.

I'm considering adding him as bench depth, and dropping Powell (NYJ) or maybe even Ingram (who isn't even listed on the ROS sheet this week).

I passed on Starks and most of the other top WW prospects this week, none looked very good to me.

I'm doing the same, but I got both Starks & Powell (ARZ) this morning on waivers & I'm dropping Powell.

I owned Ballard in my college fantasy league, and the guy definitely has some talent. I was also very impressed with him in the pre-season. I haven't watched enough to know what has caused only 2 yards per carry in his minimal work, but, I think he has the ability to make good use of this opportunity.

Maybe it is wishful thinking though, as I just traded Maurice Jones-Drew for Aaron Rodgers (More to the deal, but, that was the guts), leaving me very weak at RB (Starting Mendenhall & Brown), but, strong everywhere else (Rodgers, A.J., Cruz, Wayne, Witten). I'm really hoping that Ballard steps up.

Ugh, I'm actually decimated at RB by the bye with Sproles, Forte, and MJD all gone. I picked up Kendall Hunter as a fill-in but am afraid his decent production has been because SF has been ahead by 20+ in the 2nd half of its last two games. Something I'm not expecting this week vs NYG.

Maybe I need to swap him out for Ballard...

Ballard's YPC has been low because the Indy o-line is not very talented and has had a bunch of injuries. It looks like they will get their center Satele back this week, but there has been a revolving door at the guard spots due to some injuries. I would not expect big things from Vick Ballard.

Ballard's YPC has been low because the Indy o-line is not very talented and has had a bunch of injuries. It looks like they will get their center Satele back this week, but there has been a revolving door at the guard spots due to some injuries. I would not expect big things from Vick Ballard.

Thanks. Just dropped him.

Take your pick:

Vick Ballard

James Starks

Alex Green

William Powell

LaRod Stephens-Howling

At least with Ballard he's not gong to have much competition.

Just picked him up, RB has been a disaster for me this year, with Doug Martin and Jacquizz Rogers being my best starters once Kevin Smith disappeared. That said, players in my league just dropped Pierre Thomas and Brandon Bolden this week, so hopefully I can get some more depth...still probably starting Ballard over Jacquizz this week I think.

Is it reasonable to think he will be no worse than Brown?

Oh, he could do worse. Brown has used his speed to get to the edge when there's been no blocking. Ballard is not going to be able to do that. I think he will be slightly worse than Brown's numbers.

Yep, never got how people were so down on Donald Brown. I mean, you had to have modest expectations going into the season and he seemed to be doing well enough considering. And he seemed to be trending in the right direction.

Were people expecting the 2nd coming of Edge?