[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

who is man enough to bench Julio Jones this week

WildTurkey

I understand the temptation. I truly do and I admit I briefly considered it.

One Caveat to the Jones/White rule - True, every 100 yard game has been away.and all his decent games last year were away until week 15 when he had 5-85-1 vs JAC and 4-76-2 vs TB at home week 17. Maybe we have to wait until week 14 again. It is one of the oddest trends I have ever seen but it is not perfectly aligned.

Too small of a sample size with no great reasoning behind it for me to consider benching him.

Now benching a guy like London Fletcher on the road because he doesn't have the luxury of a generous homer box-scorer? That is a trend I can get behind.

Plus he has only had two home games this year - albeit horrible - and if he went off for 2 TDs this week you would really feel bad about benching him based on two previous games.

Can you only start 1 WR? Or do you have some other mega-stud WR1 that requires you to have to choose between Wayne and Jones at WR2.

AJ Green, Julio Jones, Victor Cruz, and R Wayne. First year in neighbor's 12 team league and the guys are horrible drafters. I'm embarrassed to post my team.

Start 3 WRs

Edited by kcmast

Not me. Others on your bench may be able to provide more stable numbers, but nothing that approaches Julio's upside. Those big weeks are usually what win games for you.

This, which is why if you own him you just have to ride him and his inconsistencies out.

I really like having the big play WRs on my team, and year in and year out I do well enough with them. In my main local I have both Julio Jones and Dwayne Bowe, both of whom are in this fluctuating up-and-down category. However, the ups are usually sky high, while the downs are usually around league average for the position. Anyway, it is rare that all my less-than-consistent WRs all put up dud weeks at the same time, and over the course of the season you just have to trust that a guy like Julio will win a few ball games for you.

This year my top three WRs look like this through week five (PPR league):

Julio Jones: 31, 5, 17, 4, 25

Dwayne Bowe: 8, 33, 14, 26, 12

Antonio Brown: 11, 14, 20, bye, 15

James Jones: BN, BN, BN, 22, BN

So for weeks 1-5 my WR point total looked like this: 50, 52, 51, 52, 52.

I think you should focus on maxing the aggregate for the position and not get too worked up about the occasional dud games. Sooner or later the stars will shine for you, and on average they tend to do so.

While a few teams have beaten me on select weeks at the WR position (the guy with Hartline two weeks ago and the guy with Colston last week) no one in my league has consistently had better WR numbers for the first five weeks, and this group has outperformed the next best team by almost 20 points YTD (or 4 PPG).

Moral of the story: ASYS.

• Like 1

AJ Green, Julio Jones, Victor Cruz, and R Wayne. First year in neighbor's 12 team league and the guys are horrible drafters. I'm embarrassed to post my team.

Start 3 WRs

Who the hell were these guys drafting instead of these four? I assume you got a QB and at least one RB before your fourth WR and one of these was still there? :loco:

Considered starting Andre Roberts over Julio this week, (also starting A.J. Green and Antonio Brown) but then I slapped myself in the face. Studs over sneaky matchup play, almost every time.

And it's not even like Julio has a bad matchup either. So basically you're just relying on a trend against a guy that the Falcons traded a boatload of picks and have shown a desire to showcase (up until teams have started fixating on him, and Ryan has just made them pay elsewhere).

With all due respect to DMD and Keggerz for bringing the trend to our attention (good stuff), but as DMD said above, it's just not something I'd rely on happening when it comes to a stud.

Really my concern with Julio right now is he's still dropping some of the easy catches, while more often making difficult catches look easy. I cannot count the number of times that he and Ryan have been "this close" on the bombs to him, and if some of them had hit in the home games, we might not be having this conversation right now.

I don't have a great answer for why Ryan hasn't connected with him at home as much, but as for how he shows up big on the road, it's not too hard to figure that you need to unleash your explosive playmaker more to win on the road; But even though they shouldn't need him that much in this home game, I think they'd like to help him regain his confidence after some rough outings recently (even in the good game last week, he just hasn't quite had the fire like he's had before).

As a Julio owner, the home and road splits by him are alarming at best. However, this year I've seen a consistent high volume of targets and big play opportunities for Julio in ALL games. Here's what I've seen:

Game 1: FANTASTIC!

Game 2: He dropped a relatively easy (For Julio standards) td pass on the very first Falcon drive as he dove into the endzone. This same game he dropped a few more easy passes in the first half. One of those games.

Game 3: Solid

Game 4: Now this game pissed me off, however, Julio again could have had himself a great game. Remember, at the end he caught a 40 yard bomb from Ryan in the second half but couldn't keep his clown feet in bounds after the catch..had he stayed in bounds he was getting 6 for about a 60+ yd TD, he had his man beat clearly and no safety in front of him. Saw it live, screamed at tv.

Game 5: Very solid (Even though he dropped another deep pass to the redzone sidelines for what would have been a catch-turn-score)

He also played game 4 with his hand injury which must've bothered him as it didn't look like his effort was all there..IMO he was a purpose decoy that game by the coaches due to injury.

I'm not freaking out on the home/road splits...It's the Raiders guys, start the man!

• Like 1