[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Opinions required about a rule in my league

ffry

Ok so most of us are aware of a stat change from last week that gave Big Ben a TD pass instead of a TD run for Mendenhall. So in my league unless I saw the play and filed a formal complaint with the commish before Tuesday morning I don't get the stat change. You may have already guessed that I lost my game by less than 4 points(TD only league). 1 point to be precise. So yes I'm bitter and angry but is it just me or is that a ridiculous rule? Shouldn't stat changes just be automatic?

EDIT: It seems people don't get the question I am asking here. I don't need to be told that " the rules are the rules" or "stop whining about the rules" I KNOW THAT. The question is simple. DOES THE RULE MAKE SENSE? SHOULD I TRY TO HAVE THE RULE CHANGED IN THE OFF SEASON?

Edited by ffry

It's the rule you have to live with for now until you can put it up for a vote to be changed.

If I were you, I would e-mail copies of every gamebook every week to your commish stating that you are challenging every play that happened.

That way, if a stat change occurs, you are covered.

If it is a stated or written rule you don't really have an argument, as stupid as that rule may be. The one thing I think you could base your case on is that the NFL didn't even make the change until after your 'deadline' for appeal. If I am right, the NFL changed the scoring on Wednesday? If that is the case, I think you have a valid complaint.

If I were you I would argue that the job of the commissioner is to make sure things are fair and accurate. If that is his purpose, he should see that in this case the rule doesn't necessarily apply and he should award the scoring based on what the official word is, regardless of how or when that official word came from the NFL.

Ok so most of us are aware of a stat change from last week that gave Big Ben a TD pass instead of a TD run for Mendenhall. So in my league unless I saw the play and filed a formal complaint with the commish before Tuesday morning I don't get the stat change. You may have already guessed that I lost my game by less than 4 points(TD only league). 1 point to be precise. So yes I'm bitter and angry but is it just me or is that a ridiculous rule? Shouldn't stat changes just be automatic?

If the rule is ridiculous get it changed (preferrably in the off season). These threads whining about "this rule is ridiculous" only when it costs the owner something are, well kind of ridiculous.

Should stat changes be automatic, well that depends. Say you lost your game and that affects waivers so that you get some highly coveted player. Then the stats are corrected, and you now get the win, but you also got the benefit of the loss on the waiver run. Wouldn't that be more ridiculous? Would the commish have to figure that out, undo all the transactions and let waivers run again?

If the rule is ridiculous get it changed (preferrably in the off season). These threads whining about "this rule is ridiculous" only when it costs the owner something are, well kind of ridiculous.

Should stat changes be automatic, well that depends. Say you lost your game and that affects waivers so that you get some highly coveted player. Then the stats are corrected, and you now get the win, but you also got the benefit of the loss on the waiver run. Wouldn't that be more ridiculous? Would the commish have to figure that out, undo all the transactions and let waivers run again?

But it's not the FF player's fault that the stat wasn't correct in the first place. If Big Ben scored the td instead of Mendy then it should be scored that way. What if you were playing against Mendy and got screwed double? Are you saying that you would be happy with a higher waiver priority instead of the loss?

But it's not the FF player's fault that the stat wasn't correct in the first place. If Big Ben scored the td instead of Mendy then it should be scored that way. What if you were playing against Mendy and got screwed double? Are you saying that you would be happy with a higher waiver priority instead of the loss?

No, I'm saying a league needs to have rules to deal with this, which it appears his league has. Could the rule be better and more fair, sure but the time to discuss that is before the season starts, or when a play like this happens to propose a better rule.

I just get tired of people who apparently join leagues with a set of rules, then when they are "screwed" by that rule they whine about how they have bogus/unfair/crappy rules.

As somebody who is a commissioner of a league and has to deal with rules, unhappy owners, and bizarre situations, I know there are many factors to consider.

And regarding this specific play, I'm in a CBS league and the scoring change was applied automatically, possibly before the game results were final on Tuesday morning, I hadn't notice the player scored before and it would not have changed the result of any games.

this shouldn't be defined by league rules, it is the basic rule under which all leagues are governed: NFL stats give you points and if the NFL decide to correct their stats midweek your league should do the same

Every league is different. If you joined the league with the rules being what they are, then that's the way it is. If you feel it's a bad rule, then perhaps bring it up for discussion for possible change in the following year. But whatever you do, don't whine or cry about it. You joined the league with the rules as they are and the assumption is you read the rules. If things can't get changed for the following year, and it's not something you can live with, then perhaps time to find a new league.

In my leagues, I have it set to follow MFL.com's stat changes on Thursday mornings, and I have this clearly stated in the rules.

• Like 1

Guys, the question is not weather or not it's a rule in my league. It is a rule and I know it is and I lost and it's done. The question is, "Is it a good or bad rule"? So posting "It's the rules and you have to live it" is stating the obvious. The reason I asked the question is to get feed back to see what the general consensus is. Should I challenge it in the off season etc... So far it seems to be clear, get it changed.

They should be handled according to your league rules ... and it sounds like they were.

Guys, the question is not weather or not it's a rule in my league. It is a rule and I know it is and I lost and it's done. The question is, "Is it a good or bad rule"? So posting "It's the rules and you have to live it" is stating the obvious. The reason I asked the question is to get feed back to see what the general consensus is. Should I challenge it in the off season etc... So far it seems to be clear, get it changed.

Is it a bad rule? I dunno. Definitely not one that I would care for.

They should be handled according to your league rules ... and it sounds like they were.

Ok seriously, did you not read the post just above yours??????? The question is simple. Does the rule make sense or not? Stop telling me "the rules are the rules". I already know that.

It's the rule you have to live with for now until you can put it up for a vote to be changed.

If I were you, I would e-mail copies of every gamebook every week to your commish stating that you are challenging every play that happened.

That way, if a stat change occurs, you are covered.

This.

And the rule sucks.

Ok seriously, did you not read the post just above yours??????? The question is simple. Does the rule make sense or not? Stop telling me "the rules are the rules". I already know that.

Everybody has their own set of rules for their own reasons. I bet that rule exists because your commissioner doesn't want to be burdened with checking for and applying stat updates each week ... so he put the onus back on the owners. Now you are whining because you were too lazy to verify the stats.

I don't think it is a good rule, it requires the owners to challenge things. And the deadline to do that is long before stat corrections are made. So essentially to cover yourself you need to do as somebody else said, challenge every stat in the game, since they could be changed later.

I think scoring changes should be automatic if made during that week, but as a commish it does create problems. As of Tuesday morning game scores are final for most league software, and the result is done (W/L). At that time things start to happen like waivers that could be affected by the change in a final score, those cannot easily be done. Our league has a weekly high points pot that is awarded, and you'd need to decide if that is affected by a scoring change. Owners could be making roster moves, or even trades based on their record, and then those can change.

It opens up the perverbial can of worms, some just don't want to deal with all those issues so they try to avoid handling scoring changes.

PS To the OP, I think some didn't get your point, or looked past it based on the tone of your post, talking about being pissed and angry about losing because of this. But also because it seems like now is the only time you care, when the rule "screwed you". You need to consider all rules, without regard to how the affect your team, and decide if they are good/bad/fair etc. There are so many posts here on a weekly basis claiming that some rule is unfair, and it is always brought up after the person loses a game. So it sounds more like sour grapes than a legitimate beef with a "bad rule".

The rule makes perfect sense as written. It clearly states that in order for any of the official NFL stat changes to be applied, an owner must notify the commissioner that they wish to challenge the NFL scoring of a particular play by Tuesday morning. I've given you an option on how to cover this for yourself for the future. Of course, it may backfire in that it could cost you points if a stat change works in your opponent's favor.

As far as if it is a good or bad rule, that's a judgment call. I personally, and believe the vast majority of the FF playing populace would tend to this side, believe that in today's age of computerized scoring and the ease of applying the league stat corrections, that stat corrections should be applied with no need to jump through hoops to have them applied. (I'll clarify that to be stat corrections that are issued in the week following the game. There have been instances where corrections come out several weeks later, and I do not believe those should be applied).

Everybody has their own set of rules for their own reasons. I bet that rule exists because your commissioner doesn't want to be burdened with checking for and applying stat updates each week ... so he put the onus back on the owners. Now you are whining because you were too lazy to verify the stats.

The Anus!!??!!

Our site will do it automatically if the commissioner checks one box in the settings. We have to file a protest before Tuesday, the NFL stat corrections come out on Wednesday. Our commissioner expects us to have witnessed the play and file a protest based on that. It is an impossible demand to watch ever single play my starters are invlolved in.

Our site will do it automatically if the commissioner checks one box in the settings. We have to file a protest before Tuesday, the NFL stat corrections come out on Wednesday. Our commissioner expects us to have witnessed the play and file a protest based on that. It is an impossible demand to watch ever single play my starters are invlolved in.

That is why you simply protest every single play your players are involved in.

PS To the OP, I think some didn't get your point, or looked past it based on the tone of your post, talking about being pissed and angry about losing because of this. But also because it seems like now is the only time you care, when the rule "screwed you". You need to consider all rules, without regard to how the affect your team, and decide if they are good/bad/fair etc. There are so many posts here on a weekly basis claiming that some rule is unfair, and it is always brought up after the person loses a game. So it sounds more like sour grapes than a legitimate beef with a "bad rule".

It may seem that way but all I want is for this CHIPS AHOY! not to happen again, to me or anyone else in my league.

Edited by ffry

That is why you simply protest every single play your players are involved in.

Could do that but I woould also have to protest all my oponents plays to make sure he doesn't get credit for things he doesn't deserve. It works both ways. It would be so much simpler just to let the site do it. What is this 2012 or 1986?