[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

D/ST...Regression to the mean

BA Baracus

Do you guys ever look at an under performing team defense and see an opportunity based on a return to the average?

I tend to think that team D, as opposed to individual performance, is very much subject to the influence of strength of schedule and long term averages. Like right now, I see the Steelers on the wire in several leagues and I see that they have not performed well thus far this year. I also am aware that they are not 100% and probably wont be for the rest of the year. But I see that they have a very favorable schedule and I know that they still have some play makers that can cause havoc on the field.

I'm not sure what to make of the Steeler D for fantasy purposes, but my inclination is that they will perform much better for the rest of the year than they have thus far.

Any other thoughts on the Steelers D or on team D evaluation in general?

Team defense is probably one of the hardest things to figure out because of specific league scoring. First you have the inclusion of special teams or not, then you have the scoring rules. Some leagues give huge points for points scored, others do very little or nothing there. Then you have sacks, turnovers, TDs and safeties.

I had noticed the Steelers were cut early in the year, and I had the Lions with an early buy. I decided to go with the Falcons, based on a combination of info including their average production to date, and the ROS rankings.

I'm usually focusing on teams that I think can make plays, sacks, turnovers and chances to score on those plays. I try to discount TDs, unless a team has several of them because they are unlilkely to happen regular.

I think the Steelers can do that when they get healthier. I see they were free agent weeks 2-4, then picked up for week 5, by a Steeler fan to replace the Jets D. PIT D is near the bottom of scoring in our league, while there are 4-5 in the top 15 that are available (including TB, NYJ, STL & SD).

I woudln't replace a top 5-10 D with the Steelers, but if you have a poor one, or room for a second they could be good value later.

the defense just doesnt seem like a good explosive fantasy defense....alot of guys are out or dinged up....and with our offense not doing that great either, teams arent forcing anything or playing with any desperation on offense...pgh def or specials teams still does not have a td this year...

maybe they turn it around , but i am just steering clear of them for fantasy purposes this season