[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question about the end of Saints/Bucs game

gilthorp

I understand the stepping out of bounds and not being able to be the first to catch the ball.

However, if you are in the end zone and you get pushed out of bounds, is that not illegal contact by the defense?

How can you call "he went out of bounds", but as you see that, you don't call illegal contact?

Schiano has a right to be pissed right now. That was absurd. Pushed out of bounds illegally by defender and then he re-establishes himself in bounds before catching the ball and he's called for the penalty. Unbelievable.

Since the line of scrimmage was the 9 I would prersume a reciver 10 yards into the end zone is more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage and cannot be touched. Further, I always thought that if you re-establish position you could catch the ball, but perhaps you cannot be the first player to touch the ball.

The RedZone channel is claiming that if the QB moves out of the pocket, illegal contact cannot be called.

So this means when a QB leaves the pocket then all receivers can be pushed out of bounds, or to the ground? Really?

lol chances are its true knowing the bureaucracy the NFL is. if they wrote the rules coherently and in a way they were unambiguous and made sense they would be out of a job so they make them as confusing as possible. bravo nfl, bravo.

I can't believe that. Either way a committee will look into it and it might turn into one of those bad calls that gets a rule changed. One of the problems with the NFL, they don't change anything until it affects actual play. As long as the Bucs complain, it will be looked at in more detail.

I can't believe that. Either way a committee will look into it and it might turn into one of those bad calls that gets a rule changed. One of the problems with the NFL, they don't change anything until it affects actual play. As long as the Bucs complain, it will be looked at in more detail.

your sig an...is long.

When I played D, if a WR was dumb enough to go that close to the boundary, I would push him out. He's now ineligible.

Contact is allowed if the QB leaves the pocket.

We aren't talking Tecmo ball here. We are talking actual football

When I played D, if a WR was dumb enough to go that close to the boundary, I would push him out. He's now ineligible.

Contact is allowed if the QB leaves the pocket.

Mike Piera explained it after the game and pretty much said the same thing. If Freeman had been attempting to pass it to him as he was being pushed then it would have been PI. I'll take the win either way.