[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MFL issue with lineup submissions

montster

In MFL, our league rules say if a team doesn't submit a lineup by the deadline, then the system uses the previous week's lineup. This is causing a problem with Thursday night games. Last week, one owner failed to submit a lineup before the Thursday game, so the system used the previous week's lineup, which included Robert Turbin and David Akers. When this owner tried to submit his lineup on Friday, the system would not let him select Turbin or Akers, because they had already played. But since he never actually put them in his lineup, the box next to their names was unchecked. He picked new guys and submitted his lineup. His opponent let me know (I'm commissioner) that Turbin and Akers were in his lineup as of Thursday night, but weren't in his new lineup. I had to use commissioner privileges to resubmit his lineup with Turbin and Akers as starters.

Anyone else deal with this? I trust the owners in the league, but some guys don't bother setting a lineup until the weekend, and this seems like an obvious flaw. The easy thing would be to ditch the rule about previous week's lineup, but I don't like changing things mid-year. Just wondering if anyone else has come across the same problem.

Is it true that MFL (always or through some setting) maks an owner submit a new line-up each week?

On CBS my line-up from this weeks carries over to next wee, my starters are my starters until I make a change. So I always have my line-up set and only need to make changes for each game. I always check Thursday to see if I have players in that game and make sure they're in the right group (active or bench).

it sounds like the rule to use the prior week's line-up is making it difficult for some owners to submit a legal line-up, because they forgot to put one in before TNF kickoff.

IMHO you should always be able to change your line-up up to a few minutes before kickoff of that players game. Anything that locsk in a whole line-up prior to that (especially with Thursday games) is wrong.

Having trouble understanding how the prior week's line-up was used, but then he was still able to set a line-up (but not with those guys who already played). Either something is overly complicated, or I'm over thinking it.

Do you allow owners to submit partial lineups? I think this is what causes this loophole. If you change the setting not to allow partial lineups, then when it automatically submits last weeks lineup, it will lock the players who have already played into the lineup, while still allowing them to adjust the rest of them.

Is it true that MFL (always or through some setting) maks an owner submit a new line-up each week?

On CBS my line-up from this weeks carries over to next wee, my starters are my starters until I make a change. So I always have my line-up set and only need to make changes for each game. I always check Thursday to see if I have players in that game and make sure they're in the right group (active or bench).

It is the same with MFL. If you don't submit a new lineup, then it uses players from the last weeks lineup until you do, and then of course those players should be locked if in your lineup at game time. There's nothing different here.

Deleted my earlier post because I'm confused exactly what the issue is...

You mean that he had the TNF players in his lineup at kickoff last night, but was somehow able to remove them today? It should have them checked without the ability to remove them. Is that the "flaw" you're referring to?

Do you allow owners to submit partial lineups? I think this is what causes this loophole. If you change the setting not to allow partial lineups, then when it automatically submits last weeks lineup, it will lock the players who have already played into the lineup, while still allowing them to adjust the rest of them.

Why would allowing partial lineups let you take out players who were in your lineup at their gametime?

Why would allowing partial lineups let you take out players who were in your lineup at their gametime?

Good question. In my opinion, it's a bug in their programming. It's been reported many times. Frankly, there is no reason to allow a partial lineup anyway. Change the setting and it closes the loophole. Case closed.

IMHO you should always be able to change your line-up up to a few minutes before kickoff of that players game. Anything that locsk in a whole line-up prior to that (especially with Thursday games) is wrong.

Having trouble understanding how the prior week's line-up was used, but then he was still able to set a line-up (but not with those guys who already played). Either something is overly complicated, or I'm over thinking it.

Any player can be started or benched so long as that player's game has yet to start.

I will check. I don't like messing with settings until the week is over, so I'll look tomorrow to see if this is the case. Thanks.

It is the same with MFL. If you don't submit a new lineup, then it uses players from the last weeks lineup until you do, and then of course those players should be locked if in your lineup at game time. There's nothing different here.

Deleted my earlier post because I'm confused exactly what the issue is...

You mean that he had the TNF players in his lineup at kickoff last night, but was somehow able to remove them today? It should have them checked without the ability to remove them. Is that the "flaw" you're referring to?

The owner did not submit a lineup before Thursday's game. Therefore, Turbin and Akers, who were in his lineup the week before, automatically became his starters again. Since he never submitted a lineup, the boxes next to their names on the MFL "submit lineup" page were never checkmarked. On Friday, after those players' games had been played, the owner went to submit his lineup. However, he was unable to select either Turbin or Akers, because they were now locked. He could not select the checkmarks next to their names, so he picked different players to start. That's the loophole -- an owner could technically "start" a player in Thursday's game (by failing to submit a lineup), and then sub him out if he does poorly (assuming no one notices).

Any player can be started or benched so long as that player's game has yet to start.

I will check. I don't like messing with settings until the week is over, so I'll look tomorrow to see if this is the case. Thanks.

The owner did not submit a lineup before Thursday's game. Therefore, Turbin and Akers, who were in his lineup the week before, automatically became his starters again. Since he never submitted a lineup, the boxes next to their names on the MFL "submit lineup" page were never checkmarked. On Friday, after those players' games had been played, the owner went to submit his lineup. However, he was unable to select either Turbin or Akers, because they were now locked. He could not select the checkmarks next to their names, so he picked different players to start. That's the loophole -- an owner could technically "start" a player in Thursday's game (by failing to submit a lineup), and then sub him out if he does poorly (assuming no one notices).

I've never seen that loophole, and have at least 1 league that allows partial lineups.

I'm almost positive there have been plenty of cases where I didn't have an issue with my thursday lineup, so didn't submit a lineup until Sunday, and I'm pretty sure it had checkboxes checked, but where you couldn't uncheck it.

I don't see why your league is different. I supose there must be a loophole somehow, but really don't know how the settings could be to where a player in his lineup (even a previous week's lineup) doesn't lock in at their gametime if they're left in.

(But yeah, still can't hurt to use smithkt's solution)

Edited by delusions of grandeur

Good question. In my opinion, it's a bug in their programming. It's been reported many times. Frankly, there is no reason to allow a partial lineup anyway. Change the setting and it closes the loophole. Case closed.

That's what I have noticed.

Oh and submit a line-up before Thur. Its really not that hard

easy solution, turn off the "carry over last weeks lineup" option all together. problem solved. :shrug:

That's how ours is set up. Slate is wiped clean after Mon night. You don't put somebody in, they don't start.

easy solution, turn off the "carry over last weeks lineup" option all together. problem solved. :shrug:

Well, it could if you don't have owners who are 100% dedicated to make sure they set theirs every week.

Really if you can't set a lineup every week, you shouldn't play, but stuff does happen, and it can really throw off the balance of the league if the person has to take a total zero (and in a dynasty league or even playoff seeding can really make for some tanking concerns as well)

As far as changing mid-year, better to change mid-year than live with a bad rule all year. When you see an unexpected consequence of a rule or a setting play out, change it now. I've been commish of a league for 15yrs and we change if we have to as soon as we see a problem.

Edited by Cunning Runt

Ok, guess I understand better now, sounds like a strange loophole in MFL, if they carry over the prior weeks roster, and a player is active then plays his game, no way should it let them remove that player from their roster. In your example one RB slot and the K slot on the team's roster should be locked in with that player, no ability for the owner to start or not start them, or another player in their place.

Pretty surprised that a site so popular and highly regarded as MFL would allow that kind of loophole (especially once they've been informed of it and asked to correct it).

Whatever setting you need to change to close that loophole should be done, mid season or not.

PS There is nothing wrong with Thursday games, especially now that they are almost every week. Its not like a fantasy team owner isn't doing anything with their team mid week, so go in and set your line-up for those players who play on Thursday.

I don't get your reasoning, Steve. You have 2 choices: lineup is put in automatically from last week (you still have the oppertunity to change before Thurs) or lineup is reset to nobody starting. What's the loophole?

I don't get your reasoning, Steve. You have 2 choices: lineup is put in automatically from last week (you still have the oppertunity to change before Thurs) or lineup is reset to nobody starting. What's the loophole?

From the first post in the thread, I bolded the relevant part

In MFL, our league rules say if a team doesn't submit a lineup by the deadline, then the system uses the previous week's lineup. This is causing a problem with Thursday night games. Last week, one owner failed to submit a lineup before the Thursday game, so the system used the previous week's lineup, which included Robert Turbin and David Akers. When this owner tried to submit his lineup on Friday, the system would not let him select Turbin or Akers, because they had already played. But since he never actually put them in his lineup, the box next to their names was unchecked. He picked new guys and submitted his lineup. His opponent let me know (I'm commissioner) that Turbin and Akers were in his lineup as of Thursday night, but weren't in his new lineup. I had to use commissioner privileges to resubmit his lineup with Turbin and Akers as starters.

So MFL rolled over the prior weeks lineup with Turbin and Akers as starters, then the owner was able (on Friday) to submit a different line-up without Turbin and Akers. That is the loophole, players in the Thursday game were in his line-up on Thursday, then able to be removed on Friday. MFL should not allow that.

Turbin and Akers should have been locked in as part of the guys line-up, and not allow the owner to replace them with other players.

Edited by stevegrab

Known issue. Happened in 2 out of the 3 MFL's I'm in

http://football4.myf...ICKET_ID=106229

The reply to the problem doesn't make sense to me, maybe it does to those who use MFL. Ok, read it a couple more times and guess I get it.

They're saying there is a setting on when the line-ups from last week get used, and one option is not until AFTER the final results from Monday are available. (That option seems flawed to me based on what the OP posted.) The better (correct) option to use is to copy last weeks line-up as soon as the prior weeks results are final.

That is essentially how it works on CBS, Tuesday morning my line-up for the next week is set with last week's line-up.