[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Schiano at it again

rajncajn

Surprisingly enough, not about the last play of the game.

With the Bucs trailing by a touchdown in the fourth quarter, Saints place-kicker Garrett Hartley lined up to attempt a 51-yard field goal. Just before the snap, linebacker Mason Foster called for a line shift. The play was whistled dead and the Bucs were penalized 15-yards for unsportsmanlike conduct.

The Saints went on to complete a 95-yard drive for a touchdown to extend their lead to 14 points.

Schiano was asked about the confusion over the ruling on the field.

"You can add me to the list,'' Schiano said. "Quite frankly, it's a legal play. We've done it before. We did it in the Washington game right there before the half. Exact same thing. One time we went left to right, the other time we went right to left. Other than that, it's the exact same thing. I'm not quite sure, but like I said, I'm not going to get into (officiating). I know what we do and I feel very comfortable with it. Now, the fact of the matter is that it got called Sunday, so I don't know if you should be looking for that one very much anymore because that would be downright stubborn, right? But as far as I'm concerned, that's a legal play.''

Just before the snap of the ball, Foster says something and the entire defensive line shifted from left to right.

Rule 12, Section 3, Article 1 states teams cannot use 'acts or words...designed to disconcert an offensive team at the snap.'

After the shift, the Bucs appeared to have had a player lined up directly over the longsnapper, which also is not allowed.

"It's close,'' Schiano said. "When you look at field goal rushes and punt rushes, they're always very close. Can it be called? Is a piece of my shoulder blade...I don't know. I'm not in there right where the guy is and he's got a better view, so I leave that up him."

edit for link:

Schiano insists shift on FG block was legal vs. Saints, not flagged vs. Redskins

Mike Pereira said while explaining the call, "Schiano might have gotten away with that at Rutgers but not in the NFL." :lol:

Edited by rajncajn