[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sandy - a PSA

Joessfl

Everyone here who is about to get slammed, stay safe. For those already through it or in it....I hope you all are ok. I havent been through many storms like this being in Phila, PA, but as a husband, parent, homeowner, I am not looking forward to this.

Dont go outside if you dont have to. Dont drive if you dont have to.

Good luck.

On the northern suburbs of Phila, PA. Looks like I am on that line between 60 and 75 mph winds. Work finally made the call at 7:30AM that they would close. Nice job, considering airports and rail are shut down. All non-essential gooberment dont have to report, but other companies still think they are above all that.

On the bright side I get to spend the day with family. :tup:

good news is that storm picked up speed, meaning it will make landfall much earlier than the 8:00PM high tide. It will also be over much quicker than originally thought...twice as quick, since it went from moving at 15mph to almost 30 mph.

Bad news is that it won't have time to diminish in strength, meaning that inland areas will get those 80-90mph winds that were originally only predicted to hit the coasts. Not sure how may buildings in Center CIty Phily were constructed with the idea of withstanding hurricane force winds. And in our suburbs, countless trees are going to ripped from the saturated ground, toppling power lines and causing massive outages.

The storm itself may be easier to tolerate, but the aftermath I fear may be much worse.

I still have power as long that continues I'm happy

Governments are the first to shut down because they can, and their employees expect it. (It isn't like they actually do anything and people would notice if they closed.) Others in the real world of business are usually more conservative about closing their business and losing revenue and employee productivity for a day.

fuck you

Still have power here. Although I am about 5 minutes from being kicked out of the house. For some reason the family doesnt like me continuously singing Grease songs such as "Sandra Dee" and "Sandy, baby, I sit and wonder why oh why". I mean, come on, who doesnt like a 6 hour medley of 2 songs? :pickle:

I knew somebody would react that way, sorry my post offended you. But the person who posted what I responded to is way off base if they think businesses have the same guidelines for closing due to a weather emergency. Just because all the government workers were sent home doesn't mean every business is going to close down as well.

We've closed early a few times for serious snow storms, but I've seen the local government offices closed many more times than that in the same period.

I was way off base? I just mentioned what was in the news about goverment workers, airports, and rail to show the seriousness of it. I wasnt thinking someone would take a Hurricane 'Be safe" thread and make it about government "apathy" instead of maybe assuming that some big employers were making sure people were safe. My mistake.

It always floods on the blocks near my apartment when it rains a lot and right now there is basically a moat around my building. I won't be leaving my apartment for a couple of days. But no loss of electricity and the wind seems to be dying down a little so I hope we are past the worst of the wind damage. It's supposed to rain a lot more so I am sure the flooding will get worse. I am concerned about my friend's place on the shore. He lives across the street from the beach and 1 block from the bay so I am sure he is going to have to deal with a lot of flood damage.

Governments are the first to shut down because they can, and their employees expect it. (It isn't like they actually do anything and people would notice if they closed.) Others in the real world of business are usually more conservative about closing their business and losing revenue and employee productivity for a day.

I knew somebody would react that way, sorry my post offended you. But the person who posted what I responded to is way off base if they think businesses have the same guidelines for closing due to a weather emergency. Just because all the government workers were sent home doesn't mean every business is going to close down as well.

We've closed early a few times for serious snow storms, but I've seen the local government offices closed many more times than that in the same period.

nice back-pedal. Your comment was ignorant and you know it.

My company expects us to show up in a blizzard. Which organization is wrong?

Areas all around me no power , so far my fence blew down .