[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

CBS Sportsline scoring Dez with fumble

ThatDude

Did I miss something or did Dez fumble the ball after a reception? I know if fumbled a return but in our league we don't get credit for individual defense/special teams meaning if Dez returns a punt for a TD only the owner of the Cowboys Def/ST gets points, not the individual player.

I won by enough points to not matter but I don't like the idea that I could possibly lose points in this type of situation with no upside to receive points if something good happens.

CBS sucks

He fumbled the ball.

The stats don't differentiate when the fumble happened, so the fact that it happened on a punt return is irrelevant to the stats for Dez Bryant. If your league scores for fumbles, then he will automatically get dinged for it no matter the circumstance of it (theoretically, if he was in on defense, say guarding on a hail mary play, and he intercepted the ball and then fumbled it, he would be dinged for a fumble in the stats)

This is something where you would have to know how the play happened and have your commish manually adjust scoring accordingly.

Odd that a player would be penalized individually on a special teams play, when they can't benefit individually from postive gains on STs. Either a player can score individually on STs or they can't, it would seem to me.

TG for playing in leagues that score individual return yardage along with other yardage, among other things. Wish you guys the best in working this out.

Odd that a player would be penalized individually on a special teams play, when they can't benefit individually from postive gains on STs. Either a player can score individually on STs or they can't, it would seem to me.

TG for playing in leagues that score individual return yardage along with other yardage, among other things. Wish you guys the best in working this out.

Not really - the stats are given to the individual, regardless of the play type. So, if individuals don't get credit for return yardage, etc., there is simply no fantasy point calculation applied, but if they are dinged for fumbles, than all of their fumbles are dinged. The stats do not have separate categories for fumbles such as fumble on offense, fumble on kick return, fumble on punt return... it is simply a fumble.

Not really - the stats are given to the individual, regardless of the play type. So, if individuals don't get credit for return yardage, etc., there is simply no fantasy point calculation applied, but if they are dinged for fumbles, than all of their fumbles are dinged. The stats do not have separate categories for fumbles such as fumble on offense, fumble on kick return, fumble on punt return... it is simply a fumble.

:lol:

I understand how it scores, GB. I just find it odd because positives for yardage and TDs are differentiated but penalties for turnovers aren't.

Go to your CBS league site, click on Help then Glossary. Scroll down through the offensive scoring categories and you should see an entry like this

Stat Name % of Leagues Use Scores Live

FL Fumble Lost, Including ST plays* 65% Yes

As Big Country says, that is just how they handle fumbles, not sure that any othe site can handle them differently unless the NFL (Elias official stats provider) actually tracks the various fumbles as "offensive" "defensive" or "special teams". I looked on the NFL site for Dez, and it shows for that game 2 fumbles 1 fumble lost, I do not think they track fumbles by off/def/ST.

I see BB's point that it sucks, and if your league is setup to not have individual scoring on special teams plays then it doesn't make sense for them to get a minus one for this. But if you do negative points for fumbles and no individual scoring for players on ST there is no way to handle this through league software, so really not that strange.

Your commish will have to be notified and make the manual scoring change (assuming they agree that with it).

Edited by stevegrab

I had to adjust the scoring in two of the CBS leagues I'm in because the system isn't set up to differentiate fumbles lost when on offense versus special teams.

We have specific rules that state that a position player cannot earn points while playing in a special teams role, but likewise, cannot lose points while playing in the same capacity. It's a pain in the arse, and in one of my leagues it led to a tie game which didn't make one of the owners very happy (since he thought he had won).

BB has a good point. In fact, it almost makes you want to avoid guys who return kicks to a degree.

Of course, I always push to have both the individual and the D/ST get any return TDs. Nothing seems lamer than having a guy in your starting line-up, watching him score a TD, and not get credit for it. The double dip argument seems thin and baseless. So what? So two "guys" get points for the same act. You still have to start both to get them. It seems far better to have it that way than, again, have a guy you started get a TD but you don't get the points because it was the wrong kind of TD.

Return yards are another thing entirely, but I do enjoy the element they bring in the one league I play in that scores them.