[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ryan Mathews - fading value?

Tripleshot

Brown has caught virtually every pass thrown his direction, and I don't think he has put the ball on the ground. Rivers seems to be leaning to him more and more as an outlet and he is producing. I see this role continuing and expanding at the expense of Matthews. Brown may me ancient, but he is performing well in his role, and he is a rare commodity in San Diego right now, a target Rivers can trust. I wouldn't hold my breath for any kind of Matthews explosion as the offense is currently configurated. Fading value definitely.

The fantasy problem with Mathews is all usage-related IMO. He is clearly superior skill-wise to Brown and Battle.

Most of Brown's yards are Rivers' checkdowns and draw plays on 3rd & long. They aren't a testament to Brown's skill level; just about any replacement level RB would have had similar results had they been on the field in those situations.

Battle meanwhile is a plodder, but his role as the short-yardage back is clear.

Rightly or wrongly, the Mathews lovers look at the Brown and Battles numbers and feel they 'should' be going to Mathews, but he's just not being used in those roles. If Norv ever decides to use Mathews as the every-down back the upside is still massive, but the reality is that Brown and Battle appear to be locked into their current roles. You have to temper expectations as a result. The upside is still there, but you'd be making a bet on his role expanding.

Edited by nelsosi