[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Emerging WRs or roster trash?

Bronco Billy

It's about that time of the year where some young WRs get unexpected opportunity due to injuries or nonperformance by others. These can be very young guys, guys who have been sitting on benches because they don't practice well and can't move up the depth chart, or raw guys who are finally starting to hone their skills to NFL level.

Here's a list of guys who have shined a bit of late and I'm wondering which of them might just be growing into a meaningful WR role or whether they just fade back into nothingness:

Danario Alexander, SD

Clyde Gates, NYJ

TY Hilton, IND

Rod Streater, OAK

Ryan Broyles, DET

Thoughts on any/all of them or any additions?

Edited by Bronco Billy

Hilton seems like the guy who's been sort of sniffing it all year and, thus, has more to build on. Gates is on the Jets, so that sort of rules him out. I don't want to play the, "who is going to get 75% of the 150yds and 1 TD Sanchez is going to throw this week" game.

I have no comment on the others.

Gates is on the Jets, so that sort of rules him out. I don't want to play the, "who is going to get 75% of the 150yds and 1 TD Sanchez is going to throw this week" game.

That's an interesting comment, and I absolutely understand where you're coming from. But against NE, MIA, & NE he has had 45, 41, and 54 pass attempts respectively and threw for 306 yds, 328 yds, and 283 yds respectively. Now, they're both AFC East teams, but they are also bottom 3rd pass Ds. Against middle third or upper third pass Ds the Jets reined in the pass attempts significantly, though Sanchez did throw for 266 yds against #19 BUF.

The importance of that? Weeks 12, 14, & 15 the Jets also play bottom third pass Ds, and week 11 they have #17 STL and week 16 they have #17 SD. Aside from week 10 - this week - (#7 SEA) and week 13 (#3 AZ) there may be some hidden opportunity there.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Hilton seems like the guy who's been sort of sniffing it all year and, thus, has more to build on. Gates is on the Jets, so that sort of rules him out. I don't want to play the, "who is going to get 75% of the 150yds and 1 TD Sanchez is going to throw this week" game.

I have no comment on the others.

Agreed

although titus young has been the bigger 'name', i actually like broyles. he's been playing well given the new opportunity.

i just picked up hilton in one league. i like his situation in a passing game that continually improves from week to week.

alexander always had great potential, but he's a constant injury risk. still worth keeping an eye on given SD is desperate for a play-making WR. i was hoping that guy would be vincent brown, but he's still recovering from his own injury. he's the better play long term.

wouldn't touch the others.

surprised that givens isn't mentioned. i think he should be in the conversation. especially since he's the first WR to really take off for the rams outside of amendola. should be interesting to see how things shake with the latter back in the mix. may be a boon for both.

Edited by slainte

I think TY is legit and Broyles seems poised to be a significant part of that offense. Both are in high percentage pass offenses as well. Danario Alexander has the talent but this is sort of what he does, he shows flashes then gets banged up and miss games. It's a shame because the guy is talented has great athleticism, hight and a pretty good set of hands.

I'm not sure if you'd count Jermaine Kearse. The Seahawks WR group is thin and banged up. Baldwin has had to miss multipal games due to two different injuries and Edwards knee flared up. If one or both of those guys miss game(s) Kearse would see a healthy dose of snaps. He's more of a guy to watch not to roster.

That's an interesting comment, and I absolutely understand where you're coming from. But against NE, MIA, & NE he has had 45, 41, and 54 pass attempts respectively and threw for 306 yds, 328 yds, and 283 yds respectively. Now, they're both AFC East teams, but they are also bottom 3rd pass Ds. Against middle third or upper third pass Ds the Jets reined in the pass attempts significantly, though Sanchez did throw for 266 yds against #19 BUF.

The importance of that? Weeks 12, 14, & 15 the Jets also play bottom third pass Ds, and week 11 they have #17 STL and week 16 they have #17 SD. Aside from week 10 - this week - (#7 SEA) and week 13 (#3 AZ) there may be some hidden opportunity there.

Fair enough, but I guess my issue comes with the fact that when a NYJ pass-catcher puts up a nice number, it seems to be him and nobody else and then he proceeds to put up several stinkers before he does anything again. With that in mind, and especially since this Gates kid has had all of one good game, I'm going to pass. I spent a roster spot on Hill (though had the sense not to start him) after his big week 1. Then, later on, picked up Kerley (and actually may have put him in when byes and injuries gave me no choice) and can't recall whether or not it was one of his good weeks or bad ones. I think he's still on my roster, but I have absolutely zero confidence in ever putting him in.

At the end of the day, I like to hold my nose as little as possible when it comes to setting my roster.

Another name I'd throw out there is Cecil Shorts (JAX). Yes he plays on a run first team, and his QB is pretty bad, but during their bye he was promoted to starter and that appears to be holding even with Laurent Robinson returning to the line-up. Then they traded Thomas. His numbers are down the last week or two, and I haven't looked at JAX schedule for the ROS.

Another name I'd throw out there is Cecil Shorts (JAX). Yes he plays on a run first team, and his QB is pretty bad, but during their bye he was promoted to starter and that appears to be holding even with Laurent Robinson returning to the line-up. Then they traded Thomas. His numbers are down the last week or two, and I haven't looked at JAX schedule for the ROS.

Shorts has been pretty solid all year - a couple of low scoring games early on but has definitely emerged, IMO. I would guess he ought to be rostered in 12 team leagues and larger that have sufficient roster room.

Ryan Broyles is one I like alot he is on an offense that likes to air it out and he seems to have decent ability to go with it Hilton falls into a similar category as Broyles a small slot type WR and they both benefit from having one of the best in the league playing outside of them.

Alexander has always been interesting but his knees are shot to chives so relying on him is tough to do the talent is definitely there though.

Clyde Gates had alot of good things said about him around draft time and during training camp but he didn't stick with the Dolphins for whatever reason which isn't a glowing endorsement really considering their WR depth but maybe the kid has matured a bit and got his head in the right place now I haven't seen him play to be honest this season so I don't know how he has really been going.

Rod Streater is interesting as the Raiders seem to try and take a few shots with this guy most games and he has flashed a bit of big play ability and he has good size but his impact will never be great this season.

Going forward for this season Hilton and Alexander probably hold the most value followed by Gates but for dynasty format they all hold decent value with Broyles grading out on top and Streater being the riskiest.