[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jacquizz time?

Joebirds55

Smith didn't seem too happy about the running game today. Turner was absolutely horrific today and was just one elemen that killed my week. 1 friggin point. Against the worst defense in the league. Multiple opportunities inside the 5 only to get stuffed.

That being said, quiz looked really solid today. Wasn't on board w him actually taking over the main role until today. What do other people think? Is turner completely unstartable now? He was tough to start even before this game, but what do people think now?

ATL wants to run the ball as in run between the tackles and put your head down.

I agree with this but I dunno.....1st and goal at the one against the Saints and you can't punch it in? Maybe they should rethink this. At least Jacquizz seemed hungrier for contact - and had more burst too. Turner has been 1-3yds and a cloud of dust lately.

Completely unhelpful RBBC?

I'm not rushing to pick up 'Quizz again. ATL wants to run the ball as in run between the tackles and put your head down. Jacquizz cannot do that, so really at best he's a 3rd-down back.

Yeah what they want to do and what they can do are two different things. While turner had success a week ago, he looked painfully slow yesterday. And I agree with the other post, quizz showed alot of burst and had a few nice cut backs. Turner made that saints run d look the best it has all year. Extremely frustrating to watch. Curious as to how it'll play out if quizz continues to look this solid

I agree with this but I dunno.....1st and goal at the one against the Saints and you can't punch it in? Maybe they should rethink this. At least Jacquizz seemed hungrier for contact - and had more burst too. Turner has been 1-3yds and a cloud of dust lately.

Completely unhelpful RBBC?

It's the O-line every bit as much as Turner, if not more as Turner has still had a knack to break a long one every now and then when he's gotten a gaping hole to get into the second level.

Quizz didn't even have that long run until the 3rd quarter, when they finally spread the defense out with the passing game. I also have to wonder if it's not still too predictable when they're going to run, because teams are still stacking the box on plenty of running plays (early in the game anyway, Turner's actually gotten most of his yardage as the closer later in the game after they spread them out and wear them down).

The most positive thing with Quizz though is that they're finding ways to get him the ball in space and he's starting to see the filed about as often as Turner. Otherwise, neither back is particularly attractive behind that O-line until they get this sorted out.

It's the O-line every bit as much as Turner, if not more as Turner has still had a knack to break a long one every now and then when he's gotten a gaping hole to get into the second level.

Quizz didn't even have that long run until the 3rd quarter, when they finally spread the defense out with the passing game. I also have to wonder if it's not still too predictable when they're going to run, because teams are still stacking the box on plenty of running plays (early in the game anyway, Turner's actually gotten most of his yardage as the closer later in the game after they spread them out and wear them down).

The most positive thing with Quizz though is that they're finding ways to get him the ball in space and he's starting to see the filed about as often as Turner. Otherwise, neither back is particularly attractive behind that O-line until they get this sorted out.

I take it you disagree with Todd McClure.

“I get really frustrated when I hear things and read things knowing there’s more to it than five guys up front but we take the brunt of the blame," said McClure. "I don’t want to talk about that anymore because I don’t want to say anything I regret.”

What was he going to say? Sound like he's pointing the finger at Turner the Laggard.

Source: http://blogs.ajc.com...ta_falcons_blog

Edited by electricrelish

I take it you disagree with Todd McClure.

“I get really frustrated when I hear things and read things knowing there’s more to it than five guys up front but we take the brunt of the blame," said McClure. "I don’t want to talk about that anymore because I don’t want to say anything I regret.”

What was he going to say? Sound like he's pointing the finger at Turner the Laggard.

Source: http://blogs.ajc.com...ta_falcons_blog

Well, I'm gonna disagree with a player who points fingers regardless, but yes, I definitely disagree with him...

That's not to say Turner and Quizz are blameless, both could do more to make their own yards, but it's clear to anyone with eyes that they're not getting help with any good holes from the O-line, with guys frequently meeting them before they can get out of the backfield. That's not on the backs.

That's not to say Turner and Quizz are blameless, both could do more to make their own yards, but it's clear to anyone with eyes that they're not getting help with any good holes from the O-line, with guys frequently meeting them before they can get out of the backfield. That's not on the backs.

This is interesting to me. In pre-season they'd only changed personnel at right guard and Tuvey gave them a passing grade (B-) for run blocking. Did something else change? They have to grade out as decent pass blockers or Ryan wouldn't be going as nuts as he is. I haven't thought of the Atlanta o-line as being bad run blockers - maybe it's wrong to assume it's all Turner. I will say Turner has looked slow, but also agree that telegraphing their play calling could certainly be an issue.

This is interesting to me. In pre-season they'd only changed personnel at right guard and Tuvey gave them a passing grade (B-) for run blocking. Did something else change? They have to grade out as decent pass blockers or Ryan wouldn't be going as nuts as he is. I haven't thought of the Atlanta o-line as being bad run blockers - maybe it's wrong to assume it's all Turner. I will say Turner has looked slow, but also agree that telegraphing their play calling could certainly be an issue.

They've just been a complete flip from recent years where the run-blocking was good and the pass protection was shaky, but losing Dahl last year has proven to be a bigger loss than expected. Even last year the blocking was inconsistent (remember the 4th down stuffs in the Giants playoff game), but was made up for with some big holes for big runs from Turner (IIRC, he had something like 20 runs over 20+ yards, one of the best in the NFL). Really on most of Turner's carries last year, the running game didn't look much better than this year.

And yes, even though Ryan has always been among the leaders of least sacks allowed in spite of the pass protection, they've actually been pretty decent this year aside from the Panthers game where they got him killed back there.

Predictability was definitely also a factor under Mularkey, and I think still may be, as teams can see that they're desperate to get the run game going and offer some balance. Mike Smith is the coach, not Andy Reid. My hope is they can figure out some creative ways to open up holes for both backs, just like they've finally figured out more productive ways to use Quizz.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

DOG,

Any feedback on Jacquizz long term value, into 2013? Does he take over for Turner, or are they going to be looking for (or already have) a talened young RB.

Hes on waivers and I have room to stash him for next year and maybe use as one of my 5 keepers if he's worth it.

DOG,

Any feedback on Jacquizz long term value, into 2013? Does he take over for Turner, or are they going to be looking for (or already have) a talened young RB.

Hes on waivers and I have room to stash him for next year and maybe use as one of my 5 keepers if he's worth it.

Unless it's a PPR, I wouldn't hold my breath on Quizz having big value.

The way he's playing right now, he's probably made it closer to being a RBBC in the future rather than him being strictly change of pace, but unless the O-line starts giving him some gigantic holes or he kicks up the elusiveness even more, then I just don't see them trusting him to pick up the tough yards between the tackles or getting too many carries.

The question is whether they go with a back in the draft or FA, but really either route doesn't make it much more clear how much another back would cut into Quizz's workload.

But sure, RBs don't grow on trees, so if you have the room to stash him, go ahead and see how this plays out, because they definitely are finding ways to utilize him, and he does seem to be getting it now. I just wouldn't hold my breath, because I still think his skill-set is limited to a RBBC and PPR RB2 at best.

Unless it's a PPR, I wouldn't hold my breath on Quizz having big value.

The way he's playing right now, he's probably made it closer to being a RBBC in the future rather than him being strictly change of pace, but unless the O-line starts giving him some gigantic holes or he kicks up the elusiveness even more, then I just don't see them trusting him to pick up the tough yards between the tackles or getting too many carries.

The question is whether they go with a back in the draft or FA, but really either route doesn't make it much more clear how much another back would cut into Quizz's workload.

But sure, RBs don't grow on trees, so if you have the room to stash him, go ahead and see how this plays out, because they definitely are finding ways to utilize him, and he does seem to be getting it now. I just wouldn't hold my breath, because I still think his skill-set is limited to a RBBC and PPR RB2 at best.

Thanks

As DoG has stated, I don't think people realize how much Dahl brought to that line. He was just nasty, nasty nasty. And I think people might be underselling Quizz too. Remember how Warrick Dunn would get you 100+ almost every game he got 20+ carries? I think Quizz could be that kind of back. The kid can stop on a dime and moves really well laterally, as many have already commented on. How much better might he be getting into the flow of a game when he was getting a hole to get through the line 2/3 times? I could be all wet, but I think he could run between the tackles if given the chance. :shrug: