[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ten to expand again?

Big John

• 2 weeks later...

Well... Those two will make the Big 10 the new power in football. LOL

Seriously though, it seems like every conference is just trying to keep pace with the others... but quantity doesn't always equal quality... especially in this case.

Seems the sentiment here is that those schools were chosen for eyeballs in the viewer audience and academic fit mainly. I guess if the Big 10 network is the money maker than I see why they did it. I'd prefer this nonsense all stop but I don't think it'll happen any time soon.

Seems the sentiment here is that those schools were chosen for eyeballs in the viewer audience and academic fit mainly. I guess if the Big 10 network is the money maker than I see why they did it. I'd prefer this nonsense all stop but I don't think it'll happen any time soon.

Honestly, it's just another thing driving me away from the game. A rather clear and undeniable message that they don't give two craps about the fans.

How does this improve the product at all? What's more, how is this not making it worse? It's diluting the product. As a Big 10 fan, you're now going to sacrifice seeing your team playing other teams that you care about for teams you don't.

That's how you know that someone is taking their audience for granted, when they make very major moves that specifically damage the product in order to make more money. When this happens in other industries, people leave. They find another brand or something.

While the NFL is trying as hard as it can to keep up with the college game in terms of the BS, the college game keeps one step ahead of it in the "we think our fans are gullible chumps" arms race.

Honestly, it's just another thing driving me away from the game. A rather clear and undeniable message that they don't give two craps about the fans.

How does this improve the product at all? What's more, how is this not making it worse? It's diluting the product. As a Big 10 fan, you're now going to sacrifice seeing your team playing other teams that you care about for teams you don't.

I dunno. Honestly the future is going to be bigger conferences with more teams playing longer conference schedules. So if a team plays 8 conference games and a mix of weak to medium difficulty out of conference (with maybe one big game) or a team plays 9 conference games and one of the newly added teams is weak to medium difficulty I don't think it's that big of a difference in the long rung. But I haven't thought any of this is really about the fans in a long time. Those added schools will have more resources than they've ever had to become at least average schools in the conference. It's just too bad that those two schools happen to get a ridiculous share of eyeballs in a densely populated part of the US. So I understand why the Big 10 as a business is making the decision for the future of its network. But they broke up the conference I grew up with when they added a bunch of Texas schools to the Big 8 and took away the Oklahoma rivalry so this isn't all that new to people around here.

I dunno. Honestly the future is going to be bigger conferences with more teams playing longer conference schedules. So if a team plays 8 conference games and a mix of weak to medium difficulty out of conference (with maybe one big game) or a team plays 9 conference games and one of the newly added teams is weak to medium difficulty I don't think it's that big of a difference in the long rung. But I haven't thought any of this is really about the fans in a long time. Those added schools will have more resources than they've ever had to become at least average schools in the conference. It's just too bad that those two schools happen to get a ridiculous share of eyeballs in a densely populated part of the US. So I understand why the Big 10 as a business is making the decision for the future of its network. But they broke up the conference I grew up with when they added a bunch of Texas schools to the Big 8 and took away the Oklahoma rivalry so this isn't all that new to people around here.

Given that your team is new to the Big 10, I'm not sure your opinion is the same as that of a Michigan fan who losing a game with a traditional rival (even if it's not their biggest rival) to play Maryland. After all, given the geography, there's a decent chance that a Michigan fan has old friends who went to other Big 10 rivals. Either that or he may work with some. Far less likely to be the case with Maryland.

And I sort of get the allure of wanting the eyeballs in the eastern seaboard, but I honestly wonder how many there are out there that give much of a crap. If there were, you'd think we'd have a decent team come from there now and then and we really don't. It's a college football wasteland. I mean, it's not like bringing in BC did jack all for the ACC.

To me, it seems not unlike the NHL or NASCAR being hell-bent on throwing a ton of money at expansion into markets that may never be all that good for them. Obviously college football is a much stronger and rich brand, so it may not be their undoing the way it may end up being for the other two. But just because they can afford this mistake, doesn't mean it's not a mistake.

That's how you know that someone is taking their audience for granted, when they make very major moves that specifically damage the product in order to make more money. When this happens in other industries, people leave. They find another brand or something.

While the NFL is trying as hard as it can to keep up with the college game in terms of the BS, the college game keeps one step ahead of it in the "we think our fans are gullible chumps" arms race.

Agreed, but I think the superconferences were the only way they were gonna allow a playoff.

• 9 years later...

I stopped following college sports much long ago, but this just seems really stupid. Two teams from LA, joining a conference where the closest team is 1500 miles away, and most of the schools closer to 2000 miles. 

It is bad enough the Big 10 is what 14 teams now, but two powerhouses from another conference far away are joining. And still keeping the Big10 name :crazy: 

I guess the PAC12 could go back to being the PAC10 now ;) 

Edited by stevegrab

On 7/1/2022 at 2:36 PM, stevegrab said:

I stopped following college sports much long ago, but this just seems really stupid. Two teams from LA, joining a conference where the closest team is 1500 miles away, and most of the schools closer to 2000 miles. 

It is bad enough the Big 10 is what 14 teams now, but two powerhouses from another conference far away are joining. And still keeping the Big10 name :crazy: 

I guess the PAC12 could go back to being the PAC10 now ;) 

USC and UCLA stand to significantly increase their revenues. The Pac-12 distributed only $19.8 million per school in fiscal year 2021, by far the least among Power 5 conferences. The Big Ten's per-school distribution was $46.1 million, second only to the SEC's $54.6 million

23 hours ago, League_Champion said:

USC and UCLA stand to significantly increase their revenues. The Pac-12 distributed only $19.8 million per school in fiscal year 2021, by far the least among Power 5 conferences. The Big Ten's per-school distribution was $46.1 million, second only to the SEC's $54.6 million

No way, its money and greed?  I never would have guessed that. 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As somebody who grew up watching some college sports in Los Angeles in the 70s I just don't get it. The Pac10 and Big10 used to mean something, it was the number of teams and PAC-Pacific West and BIG=Midwest/Great Lakes. Teams like UCLA moving to the Big 10 is just crazy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

As somebody who grew up watching some college sports in Los Angeles in the 70s I just don't get it. The Pac10 and Big10 used to mean something, it was the number of teams and PAC-Pacific West and BIG=Midwest/Great Lakes. Teams like UCLA moving to the Big 10 is just crazy.

It’s all about the money. I love the PAC-12 but it’s dead. Larry Scott killed it with his garbage TV contract. Best I can hope for now is Oregon, UDub, Stanford and Cal move to the B1G.

2 hours ago, Trojanmojo said:

It’s all about the money. I love the PAC-12 but it’s dead. Larry Scott killed it with his garbage TV contract. Best I can hope for now is Oregon, UDub, Stanford and Cal move to the B1G.

Sadly yes, everything is all about the money, and in this case the college football setup whever every conference is independent and does whatever they like as far as membership and poaching teams or jumping conferences. It just didn't happen back in the old days, now every year or two there seem to be major changes. I guess if it thrives and fans keep watching that's all that matters. I'd quit watching the NFL if teams were changing division/conference this much. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Sadly yes, everything is all about the money, and in this case the college football setup whever every conference is independent and does whatever they like as far as membership and poaching teams or jumping conferences. It just didn't happen back in the old days, now every year or two there seem to be major changes. I guess if it thrives and fans keep watching that's all that matters. I'd quit watching the NFL if teams were changing division/conference this much. 

I'm old school Pac-10 / Big-10 as a Trojan. I hate the break up of these old rivalries. Then again, I've never been a person where money was my primiary motivation. It's sad that everything these days is all about the benjamins.

Edited by Trojanmojo

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2023 at 1:55 PM, Trojanmojo said:

I'm old school Pac-10 / Big-10 as a Trojan. I hate the break up of these old rivalries.

Agree whole heartedly. 

On 8/17/2023 at 1:55 PM, Trojanmojo said:

Then again, I've never been a person where money was my primiary motivation. It's sad that everything these days is all about the benjamins.

Of course it is.  This is nothing new, its been building since the 90's.  Take a look at college tuition costs vs rate of inflation and real wage growth.  Its entirely unsustainable, and some schools have figured out how to monetize activities.  

That some rivalries will go away is sad, but it should have been foreseen and mourned when tuition went from 8k to 67k.   This is just... the inevitable. 

Similarly but on a very different scale, the same thing has been happening in HS/Youth sports wrt clubs and then parochials vs "staying public" or maintaining old town rivalries.   It was easily foreseeable.    

Next stop, why college tuition is increasing at a meteoric rate?  Wrong thread. 

Edited by FinishTheDrill