[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kaepernick kills Smith?

WashingtonD

not yet. I think the coaching staff is often pretty amazing with their play-calling and use of personnel. Smith still has greater knowledge of the offense and experience. I don't believe they would make such a change midseason...making a playoff run. While kap did a great job vs an excellent defense tonight, I don't think Harbaugh would want to exit the playoffs due to rookie mistakes.

not yet. I think the coaching staff is often pretty amazing with their play-calling and use of personnel. Smith still has greater knowledge of the offense and experience. I don't believe they would make such a change midseason...making a playoff run. While kap did a great job vs an excellent defense tonight, I don't think Harbaugh would want to exit the playoffs due to rookie mistakes.

I agree, but the future looks bright!

Agree with Bier and Kap looked as good as you could have hoped. Maybe even better.

In other news, Chicago is looking at a repeat of 2011 where they lost five in a row to end the season without Cutler. They sort of miss him.

I was discussing this very topic tonight with a buddy of mine who is a Niner fan.We both agreed that the risk is too great to switch QBs. They can win a Superbowl just fine with Smith.

I also thought how unfair this all is to Smith. He gets drafted number one overall and got to carry all the expectations that come with that. He has umpteen bazillion coaching/o-coordinator changes in his career with absolutely zero continuity. He finally gets a head coach who understands the QB position and creates an offense that plays to his strengths - and go figure - he finally excels. Now he gets his bell rung and misses a game where his highly touted backup QB comes in and looks great. Surely Niner fans are smart enough to know Smith is the guy to lead that offense right now, but any off game is likely to open the QB debate thing, if not in SF, but maybe even nationally. I hope Harbaugh squashes all that preemptively and comes out and says "Alex is our QB. Period."

Edited by Tripleshot

Smith is our modern Steve Deberg. A decent QB, but maybe not enough to win the big one. I think Kaep needs another year to marinate, but he has huge upside. He moves, and reacts faster than Alex Smith, and has a stronger arm. The bullet he threw to Moss dislocated his finger when he dropped it. With Kaeps legs he can extend plays like the TD he hit Crabtree with. Smith seems more like a one look QB.

It bears mention that Smith has had plenty of games where he looked like an amazing QB. So good they make you scratch your head at some of the others. Last year's play-off game vs NO is one that really stands out. Then he picked up right where he left off with great games vs GB and Det before he turned in a few clunkers.

Who's to say that Kaepernick wouldn't do the same? We've got one game to go on and an expertly called one at that. Chicago was back-pedalling all night long. Perhaps they got caught off-guard by how effective K was and then, combined that with the fact that they were behind and on the field the entire time, just couldn't get going.

If we've learned anything this year, it's that every team and even every offensive or defensive squad is absolutely capable of laying a stinky turd.

I'm absolutely fired up about K and he did make some great throws. Well, he made the kind of throws that a pro QB is supposed to make, and he made most of those throws. Sure, amazing for a first start but we can't double dip the compliment. The way some were carrying on, it was if he was making throws that nobody else can make and making them in his first start. No, he was making some very impressive throws, which was more impressive because of the situation.

But even the Kyle Williams throw that everyone is going on and on about. Dude was open and he hit him in stride. That wasn't like one of those, "he put it in the only place he could" kind of deals. Davis was wide open on his TD catch and so was Crabtree. Sure, he did a great job of extending the play on the Crabtree play, but listening to Dilfer and Young last night, you'd think that he'd just taken the QB position to a place we've never seen before. And that seems like a bit much.

2011 no Cutler caused the implosion.

2012 no Cutler was no excuse for the D's implosion last night.

The O line had like 2 good weeks so far this season (just guessing) and they weren't against good D's (insert "Can't polish a turd" joke here).

I'm afraid the "light at the end of the tunnel" is an oncoming train.

he did exactly the opposite.

Exactly, when asked in his post game press conference the answer was basically "I like to go with the hot hand, and right now we have two hot hands. We'll have to see going forward." That doesn't sound like usual comments you hear when the starter gets the job back once he's healthy.

I agree that changing now wouldn't make sense, and that Kap could be very good in the future.

How they really would have missed Cutler would be if he played tonight. He would be hung up next to the big moose head on Aldon Smith's family room wall if he played tonight.

Loving the Kapernick/Foles depth in ATAP. I feel like a proud papa.

My thoughts exactly! :lol: @ Moosehead

As a Seahawk fan, I wholeheartedly support a QB change in SF. Please do play to your own ego and start the QB you drafted, while pissing off your former starting QB who, along with your defense, got you to the Super Bowl last year except for a terminal case of the dropsies by your punt returner. So go ahead and "play the hot hand". Methinks there might more games like the Rams game than the Bears game ahead for Kaepernick. I'm all for a Niner QB controversy to stir things up and disrupt focus. :tup:

What is it again, Kaptain K, Killer K, Circle K, The K-Man, refresh my memory.

Special K and don't you forget it!

I am with det as I too am excited but its one flipping game. Give him some time I think he might live up to that billing but theres no doubt about it as of now and the near future Smith is the man for this team!

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

I dunno. Has any team in the last decade of the NFL won the Superbowl with a game manager type like Smith? I realize great defense, fewer mistakes, and all the good that goes with it but I would consider the change if I was the HC. Not sure if I'd pull the trigger but I couldn't blame the guy. None of the current coaching or management staff selected A. Smith he was just a legacy contract. They spent some picks to trade up and draft Kapernick. I don't have a dog in the fight (as apparently either one would kick the carp out of the Bears D last Monday) but I think I'd want to see another week if I was a 9er fan. Give Smith another week to get his head straight and give K another shot.

• Like 1

9ers were inches away from the SB last year. part of that was poor play from smith and some flukey st plays. he continued to improve this year and currently has the best completion % and 3rd best qb rating. his arm strength is marginal, but he is accurate on short to mid range passes, knows the playbook, and has more experience. when you have a team who has a decent chance to contend for the Sb, I don't think you make a qb change in week 12 not attributed to injury. Kap looks good, but he still needs to develop.

• Like 1