[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kaepernick kills Smith?

WashingtonD

So can we all now agree that Harbaugh knows what he's doing? What a game, go niners!

I wanted another shot at Seattle, but the game with ATL should be a good one. With two of the best young QB's in the NFL, and two of the best defenses, the NFC West will be very entertaining for years to come, what a turnaround!

are you forgetting that smith lit up gb in week 1? no one said they didn't think he didn't know what he was doing. he is an excellent coach. i believe we had a solid chance to win with smith or kap. going away from the pistol and back to it was brilliant. won't catch atl by surprise this game. i was concerned (and still am) about potential novice mistakes costing the 49ers an opportunity in the SB. maybe you haven't noticed them manifesting themselves towards the end of the season, but i did. i would say that i am now on board with the mindset that the team can overcome them, just not too many. over the past 2 years the 49ers have not been overly resilient when they get down. kap did an excellent job staying focused on the game plan and not dwelling on the early pick-6. i hope his/their success continue.

are you forgetting that smith lit up gb in week 1? no one said they didn't think he didn't know what he was doing. he is an excellent coach. i believe we had a solid chance to win with smith or kap. going away from the pistol and back to it was brilliant. won't catch atl by surprise this game. i was concerned (and still am) about potential novice mistakes costing the 49ers an opportunity in the SB. maybe you haven't noticed them manifesting themselves towards the end of the season, but i did. i would say that i am now on board with the mindset that the team can overcome them, just not too many. over the past 2 years the 49ers have not been overly resilient when they get down. kap did an excellent job staying focused on the game plan and not dwelling on the early pick-6. i hope his/their success continue.

Me too brother, me too.

Had Roethelisberger not been injured, I would never have claimed him in one of the two leagues where I can keep a player. My plan all along had been to hang on to Julio Jones, but that has completely changed now. I will also have Alfred Morris.

Finally, I may be turning the corner in that league after 8 years of futility.

• 9 months later...

^^

:shrug: What are we bumping here ? He is ranked 15th in one of my leagues and 18th in 2 others. Never has a D and running game made a guy look so good. He needs to make about 4 plays a week

• Like 1

It's amazing how much an offseason of game review can help opposing defensive coaches. I still think Kaep has the potential to be a great QB in this league; but not sure he has the mindset to live up to it. Kaepernick is doing the exact same thing as his first start last year and defenses have caught on. 49ers passing offense will improve with Crabtree coming back; but Kaep simply doesn't look like he's close to a guy that goes through WR progressions before taking off and running.

It's amazing how much an offseason of game review can help opposing defensive coaches. I still think Kaep has the potential to be a great QB in this league; but not sure he has the mindset to live up to it. Kaepernick is doing the exact same thing as his first start last year and defenses have caught on. 49ers passing offense will improve with Crabtree coming back; but Kaep simply doesn't look like he's close to a guy that goes through WR progressions before taking off and running.

Are you thinking / saying sitting another year behind Alex would of helped ?

If not then I will say that , trade made a year to early for the 49ers

I'd still take Kaep over Smith in fantasy football or actual football. To me, the most important position in football is the QB, and you need to have a playmaker at that position to be a contender for a Super Bowl. Game managers can help you win a lot of games in the regular season and can even get a win in the playoffs, but rarely is the guy under center on the Super Bowl winning team a game manager. I think we have to go all the way back to Trent Dilfer to say that and the game has changed dramatically since that year with all of the rule changes helping QB's and the passing game.

I think it was the move to make him the starter and guy to build around. I am just not that impressed this year .

I get this to a point , its not like years back when you draft ( even in the 1st round ) knowing he will be holding a clip board for the next 2 to 3 years & that was OK because he was being paid what a manager at a large grocery store makes now. Today it is next to impossible to do that because his signing bonus alone is 10 x more then most will ever make in there life time. I just think Kap would of been better prepared with the coach he has to sit another year before being handed the keys to the car

where was that post that discussed the zone read and the young QBs? Where it asked if the Defense will catch up with it?...Kaep's the worst of the three considering the injuries to RGIII and Russel Wilson's still doing fine.

He needs more options to throw to. Crabtree not neing there hurts. Boldin csn be covered one on one letting defenses double up on Davis. Losing Walker doesn't help any as well. He just doesn't have enough quality targets.

Regardless, he's still not as good as Wilson. He's likely more physically gifted, bit Wilson is much smarter.

He needs more options to throw to. Crabtree not neing there hurts. Boldin csn be covered one on one letting defenses double up on Davis. Losing Walker doesn't help any as well. He just doesn't have enough quality targets.

Regardless, he's still not as good as Wilson. He's likely more physically gifted, bit Wilson is much smarter.

Kaep Definitely needs more targets and agree on the Wilson thing. And it's also worth noting that R. Wilson hasn't exactly had the greatest show on turf to throw the ball to. He looked great against Atlanta throwing to Tate plus two undrafted free agent WRs as the starters.

Are you thinking / saying sitting another year behind Alex would of helped ?

If not then I will say that , trade made a year to early for the 49ers

No, I don't necessarily think so. The fact of the matter is Alex Smith was never and will never be that good of a QB. I thought that Kaep's meotoric rise last year wouldn't necessarily run into this year. But I also didn't expect the crash and burn we witnessed from him in Week 10 through this year. But, I guess the evidence was there, for those who were looking for it. I think a guy like Vernon Davis and Crabtree are ready for his hot bullet primary reads; the other WRs, not so much. Right now I'm seeing a Tebow problem. Kaep has a hard time processing the field fast enough, and what you have right now is a more surly/athletic version of Tim Tebow

Jaws was on the radio this morning saying Kap has regressed since last season. That he's dropping his eyes looking for pass rushers and he's not going to get any better until he stops.

Didn't jaws before the season say Kap was going to be the greatest qb of all time or something to that effect?

I am looking at this several different ways:

1) was it the right move at the time?

- I am still not convinced it was the move to make once smith was healthy. as we look back, we see a lot of errors that come from inexperience (clock management, play clock management, missed reads, missed targets). While a more talented player than smith, smith had the tools to lead them to a championship. to give kap a little credit, he had quite a run int he playoffs and only came up a few yards shy. there were other factors in that game that led to the loss. Has he take a lot of strides in one year's time? I think so.

2) was it the right move for the future of the franchise? I believe so. having smith at the helm definitely limited the playbook.

3) kap's current status.

- i don't believe a lot of his struggles this year are complete his fault. two things stand out to me... injured targets and playcalling. outside of the GB game, I have not seen SF wrs create separation and give him many options. his reads are not as bad as many would like to think. he has definitely missed wrs but i believe it is a chicken-eggs scenario where wrs aren't getting open and by the time he is getting to 3 and 4, the o-line pass rush is in there.

I would agree that Kap has regressed this year, but I also think he's the better QB over Smith. Kap has been overly careful and tentative to pull the trigger on runs that he would have made last year. Previously the coaches had the luxury if Kap got dinged up, they had Smith available since they thought they had two starters. This year there's no confidence in the backup, and they must be whispering in Kaps ear to not take any chances of getting hurt. Kap has not been making short throws using his RB's, and has not been hitting his 2nd and 3rd options. Smith can manage a game and won't get the team in any trouble turning it over in a close game, but Kap can pass the team back into the game as he's done last year during the playoffs. Alex Smith would not have been able to bring the team back against the Falcons last year, or back in the Superbowl. I also blame much of his and the offenses failures on our OC, Greg Roman. Since the last plays of the Superbowl and during key moments this year his playcalling has been horrible.

i also don't believe they would have been as much of a hole with smith. with be more conservative, he was taking fewer risks= more sustained drives/fewer turnover.. i'll also add that the 49ers defense this year has been horrid in 3rd and long situations.

side note: i heard rumors that kap had a foot injury during the period we saw fewer pistol formations