[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kaepernick kills Smith?

WashingtonD

The Deberg-Montana comparison came up how about Bledsoe-Brady! How did that work out for the Pats?

Kaepernick is the future. Why Wait! He does things Smith can't. All Smith can do is hand off to Gore/Hunter and check down to a RB or Davis. Kaepernick makes the WRs part of the Offense again with his ability to throw down the field. Also, his legs make him a double threat. I hear a lot of comparisons to Randall Cunningham.

Also someone said that Smith knows the offense better. They have both been under Harbaugh the same amount of time.

The Deberg-Montana comparison came up how about Bledsoe-Brady! How did that work out for the Pats?

Kaepernick is the future. Why Wait! He does things Smith can't. All Smith can do is hand off to Gore/Hunter and check down to a RB or Davis. Kaepernick makes the WRs part of the Offense again with his ability to throw down the field. Also, his legs make him a double threat. I hear a lot of comparisons to Randall Cunningham.

Also someone said that Smith knows the offense better. They have both been under Harbaugh the same amount of time.

so why not start kaepernick at the beginning of the season? if you believe that they were equally knowledgeable, developed, and poised to win at the start of 2012..... why go with smith?

I believe that smith might be pretty close to maxing his ceiling in terms of development and kap's ceiling is much higher. the problem is that it is more likely that making this change at qb will be a regression for the team (due to the need for kap to continue to develop). smith is never going to be a superstar, but he has learned how to not turn the ball over and maintain drives. as a serious contender, this is not the time to add unknown variables to that system.

edit: also- while i am content with a mobile qb, in this day and age, i really don't want a running qb.

Edited by Bier Meister

Smith has to start the season because Harbaugh had to make up with him for courting Manning under cover. There was one theory here that Manning was going to play to years and tutor Kaepernick. Kaepernick really didn't show command of the offense until the end of the preseason.

Harbaugh sees these guys everyday and I trust his decision. He also knows well what Alex Smith is going through when he was in Indy.

Why does everyone point to Kaepernick's mobility as this huge advantage, like Smith himself is a pylon. When did Smith break a leg? He's always been a pretty mobile QB and able to take off and gain yards when nothing else is there. He just isn't the type for whom you would call running plays, but he always could run well.

Why does everyone point to Kaepernick's mobility as this huge advantage, like Smith himself is a pylon. When did Smith break a leg? He's always been a pretty mobile QB and able to take off and gain yards when nothing else is there. He just isn't the type for whom you would call running plays, but he always could run well.

True but Kaepernick has a step on him all the same and the size/strength to potentially take shots (or break tackles) better than Smith. Unlike Kaepernick Smith never ran for 4K yards in college while also throwing for 8K yards. What truly distinguishes Kaepernick though is his arm strength. At the NFL combine he put even more RPMs on the ball than Cam Newton. He dislocated one of Randy Moss' fingers with one of his throws last week.

Edited by Crazysight

so why not start kaepernick at the beginning of the season? if you believe that they were equally knowledgeable, developed, and poised to win at the start of 2012..... why go with smith?

I believe that smith might be pretty close to maxing his ceiling in terms of development and kap's ceiling is much higher. the problem is that it is more likely that making this change at qb will be a regression for the team (due to the need for kap to continue to develop). smith is never going to be a superstar, but he has learned how to not turn the ball over and maintain drives. as a serious contender, this is not the time to add unknown variables to that system.

edit: also- while i am content with a mobile qb, in this day and age, i really don't want a running qb.

A lot has happened since pre-season. A lot of study and practice and hard work. I trust Harbaugh. He drafted Kaep, he knows the advantages he has over Smith, and he has waited this long to start him. If Harbaugh thinks Kaep is ready to go, I think he knows better than the rest of us.

Alex was a placeholder anyway, it's too bad for him they didn't get the Superbowl win last season because he will probably never get the chance now. Life's a bitch and it rarely breaks "fair".

As a 49ers fan, I am worried about rocking the boat in the middle of a hopeful Superbowl run too, but let's face it, we have not been playing consistently well this season and Kaep starting has the potential to raise our game from solid to unstoppable. Watch for the emergence of Kyle Williams down the stretch, that's how much Kaep changes things in SF.

A lot has happened since pre-season. A lot of study and practice and hard work. I trust Harbaugh. He drafted Kaep, he knows the advantages he has over Smith, and he has waited this long to start him. If Harbaugh thinks Kaep is ready to go, I think he knows better than the rest of us.

Alex was a placeholder anyway, it's too bad for him they didn't get the Superbowl win last season because he will probably never get the chance now. Life's a bitch and it rarely breaks "fair".

As a 49ers fan, I am worried about rocking the boat in the middle of a hopeful Superbowl run too, but let's face it, we have not been playing consistently well this season and Kaep starting has the potential to raise our game from solid to unstoppable. Watch for the emergence of Kyle Williams down the stretch, that's how much Kaep changes things in SF.

if you are Philadelphia, it makes sense to make this type of change at this point in the season... SF, Bal, Hou, Atl and it's a different story. as for the inconsistent play= they have had 3 "off"games where the fell behind. I hold the coaching staff more accountable for not being able to adjust.

edit: if you have read anything i've posted about the 9er qb situation ove the 12-13 years i've been here, you would know that i am not a hugh fan of alex smith. right here and now he is doing what it takes to win games and make this team one of the best in the league. you may recall bal "upgraded" their qb position after they won their SB and weren't quite the same.

Edited by Bier Meister

if you are Philadelphia, it makes sense to make this type of change at this point in the season... SF, Bal, Hou, Atl and it's a different story. as for the inconsistent play= they have had 3 "off"games where the fell behind. I hold the coaching staff more accountable for not being able to adjust.

edit: if you have read anything i've posted about the 9er qb situation ove the 12-13 years i've been here, you would know that i am not a hugh fan of alex smith. right here and now he is doing what it takes to win games and make this team one of the best in the league. you may recall bal "upgraded" their qb position after they won their SB and weren't quite the same.

I hear you, and I honestly agree with what you are saying. When the 49ers/Bears game ended, my buddy and I were talking about whether Alex or Colin would be the starter for the rest of the year. I was making all the same points you are in favor of sticking with Alex for this year. In addition, I really want Colin to understand the game before he starts so he can be successful from the beginning and avoid the mental beatdown that so many young QB's have to endure. With Alex playing so well (for Alex) I want Colin to sit as long as possible and learn the pro game before taking over.

In the end, I just have to trust that Harbaugh knows what he is doing, and he hasn't given us any reason to doubt him so far. Kaepernick has an incredible physical skill set that is far and away superior to Smith's and I am really excited to see how this plays out.

Edited by hardway

Not sure why everyone arguing on behalf of Kaepernick is so willing to dismiss what has been a masterful performance by Smith so far this season. I'm no Smith jock sniffer, but his numbers so far is some very important quantifiable categories for QBs are nothing short of outstanding. Plus he has certainly taken on the role of being a team leader.

Now that SF is in the midst of being a leader for a 1st round bye in the playoffs, some people think the proper course is to switch QBs and all the baggage that can carry with it?

As long as they re-incorporate VD back into a PPR relevant TE, I could care less what the 40 Whiners do at QB. Seems to me there greatest weapon is hampered by a QB that lacks a down field arm, allowing defenses to double/triple team Davis and letting the WR core run useless down the field routes.

Doesn't matter to me either but it has been somewhat of a mystery I suppose. At any rate, I went ahead and looked it up: From Wikipedia

Kaepernick was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. An adopted child of Rick and Teresa Kaepernick, Kaepernick is of mixed European and African descent and the youngest of their three children.

And BTW GeorgeSteele: We have several races that come here and we are all pretty much friends. So when you say something as vile as SWIRL in reference to a particular race, I take extreme offense. So I tell ya what....why don't you go Frack yourself you worthless piece of chit.

Edited by tazinib1
  • Like 1

I said it after that Bears game, he might get the start. Is it for the season? Who knows? Is the coach an idiot, if he switches starting QBs at this point? So far he's given no reason to doubt his moves, if I were a fan I'd stand behind him and look forward.

I admit, I picked him off waivers and started him over Eli based on the cherry matchup. (Just say I'm still a little too sore from Eli &%*^ing me the last 4 games.) Kaepernick did ok. I wouldn't say he won the game for them, the defense did, but he didn't lose the game for them either. I was really hoping Brees and Co would light it up and make Kaepernick have to keep the Niners in the game. We didn't get to see that, but with that defense, how many games will he have to win all by himself anyway? I'd still trust Smith more when it comes to not turning over the ball, but Kaeprnick's arm opens up so many more options and gives opposing defenses more things to try to plan for.

as you say... he did ok. NOS blitzed a bit and for the most part he handled it well. the biggest issue in this game was managing the clock. they had to burn a timeout early and had several delay penalties. while his natural attributes allow the 9ers to call different plays, i really did not appreciate gore only touching the ball 5 times in the 1st half. i do not believe that getting into a shootout with NOS is a sound gameplan....so, i didn't love them putting it in his hands early (not his fault, but it is correlated to his being in the game vs smith) ....leading to quick possessions. the defense seriously saved their asses today.

as you say... he did ok. NOS blitzed a bit and for the most part he handled it well. the biggest issue in this game was managing the clock. they had to burn a timeout early and had several delay penalties. while his natural attributes allow the 9ers to call different plays, i really did not appreciate gore only touching the ball 5 times in the 1st half. i do not believe that getting into a shootout with NOS is a sound gameplan....so, i didn't love them putting it in his hands early (not his fault, but it is correlated to his being in the game vs smith) ....leading to quick possessions. the defense seriously saved their asses today.

I agree, it's like Greg Roman got infatuated with his new toy and forgot about the core of the offense, the running game. I think as we go forward they will figure out how to best call a game for Kaepernick, and it will have to include the run early and often. Our O-line loves to run block and just physically beat on the opposing front, it helps the whole offense.