[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Losing intentionally

Joebirds55

Saw this posted on CBS figured I'd bring it here. What are your thoughts on losing on purpose for a better playoff matchup. For instance I'm in 3rd place and I think the matchup w the first place guy would actually be better for me. Do I lose to try to get to the 1-4 matchup as opposed to the 2-3.

Before you jump on me, I don't plan on doing this. I feel that if its meant to be for me ill win regardless of matchup, and the fantasy gods won't be kind to me if I don't put out my best lineup...

Anyway what are your thoughts on this

Before I even get to the ethical part of the issue, I'm reminded of the "b!tchslap of fate" that would almost assuredly be waiting for me in the 1st round when the team I chose as my first round opponent has the week of their season and the one I avoided puts up bupkiss.

Poor sportsmanship and bad Karma. You have to face a good team at some point, may as well get them out of the way early. If they are a better team then they deserve to beat you anyway. Not only that, but in some cases your losing on purpose could cause a deserving team to be knocked out of the playoffs. I'd be pretty pissed if I missed the playoffs because you tanked or if I drew the tougher match-up and lost because you tanked.

I'm a believer in the "b!tchslap of fate" as Detlef put it... but I'm not philosophically opposed to it AS LONG AS it doesn't affect the rest of the standings in any meaningful way. As long as nobody makes/misses the playoffs or even the toilet bowl if you have one... even if the draft order is set by the standings I think I'm opposed. But if it truly doesn't matter in the standings other than for you, and you don't care about karma, then go for it.

And, as far as someone doing this if, in fact, it did cost someone a spot in the play-offs or what-not, then I believe it would be covered under the "don't be a d!ck" rule. In other words, don't look for the angle, just do the right thing. I would vote to exclude that team from the league the next year.

Yes it is questionable ethically but hey, it's fantasy football. As long as you put in an actual starting line-up and don't leave slots empty it shouldn't be a big deal although somebody might not like it.

So, are you one of those guys who plays the "All's fair in love and war" card, seemingly forgetting that an amusing game between friends is neither love nor war?

And, as far as someone doing this if, in fact, it did cost someone a spot in the play-offs or what-not, then I believe it would be covered under the "don't be a d!ck" rule. In other words, don't look for the angle, just do the right thing. I would vote to exclude that team from the league the next year.

Someone tried this in my league a couple seasons ago. It would have knocked me out of the playoffs and gave him what he thought would be an easier path. It didnt work and I added a "dont be a sketchy a-hole" rule the next year.

Agree with the majority opinion here, tanking (for any reason) is not only unethical but can bite you.

3 weeks ago in my league I was 2-7 and probably out of the playoffs. Suddenly my team goes on a tear and has won 3 straight. I knew before this week that even if I win out and get some help I could not makethe playoffs. I still set my line-up like any other week, trying to score the most points. It will end up meaning I draft around 5-6 instead of top 3, which could be big depending on the players available (12 teams with 5 keepers).

I am co-commish of this league and feel I need to set a good example, but I'd expect the same from any other team. I don't scrutinize the line-ups for this stuff, but its pretty obvious when every week stud starters are suddenly on the bench. I'm sure my wins have hurt some of the other teams going for the playoffs, and that is what I was hoping for once I knew I couldn't make it.

One more thing we do which helps to prevent tanking, is a weekly high score bonus (about $25). Even if your team isn't great, and you're out of the playoffs or wanted to throw a game for playoff match-ups you're tossing out that chance at that money.

PS Love the don't be a dick / sketchy A-holle rules, wil suggest we add something like that.

Edited by stevegrab

I solved this problem by making every team have something to play for right till the end. 8 teams make the playoffs. 6 go to the B side bracket. Top 7 get some sort of payout. Better you do in the A side, more money you win. But worse draft pick. The better you do in B side. Better Draft pick , plus cash payout to win B side.

Had a guy in my legue tank the last pre season game - lost to the team he let into the playoffs in the first round. Got into it with us at the year end league meeting and is now no longer in the league. He argued he can manage his team how he sees fut, we argued the integrity of the league should supercede that and he needs to play his best team cause he f ed over another team by tanking

Havent spoken to him in two years

Dont tank

Another wrinkle that sort of fits into this that I've used from time to time. 1st seed gets to "pick their poison". Sort of adds a fun angle if the 1st seed gets to pick their choice of the other 3 seeds and the remaining two teams play one another.

• Like 1