[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jacoby Jones in return leagues

rajncajn

Just wondering what Huddlers thoughts were on Jacoby Jones in leagues that score return yardage. Right now he's not even listed in the Huddle rankings, but in my local he's averaging over 10 points a game which ranks him at #35 among WRs and would make him a nice WR3.

Depends on how return-heavy, because returns are a volatile position, especially with them moving kickoffs up for more touchbacks. They don't have to test Jones that much if they don't want to.

It also hinges largely on how well their defense does against the offense they're facing.... I remember years ago when we rewarded return yards to the team D, that some absolutely crappy defenses were scoring good points because they were allowing for so many return opportunities off of scores. We then switched it to giving it to the individual player to make more sense.

Anyways, back on point, it does help that the Baltimore D is struggling with injuries, and the schedule looks very ripe for return yards during the FF playoffs... This week is when I'd be nervous to start him going up against PIT without Big Ben, but then next they get teams plenty capable of putting up points, WAS, DEN and NYG.

Really depends on what your options are. Could be both a safe and high-upside play after this week, but with the potential to be volatile as always.

BTW, nobody cares about your team n00b :moon:

Depends on how return-heavy, because returns are a volatile position, especially with them moving kickoffs up for more touchbacks. They don't have to test Jones that much if they don't want to.

It also hinges largely on how well their defense does against the offense they're facing.... I remember years ago when we rewarded return yards to the team D, that some absolutely crappy defenses were scoring good points because they were allowing for so many return opportunities off of scores. We then switched it to giving it to the individual player to make more sense.

Anyways, back on point, it does help that the Baltimore D is struggling with injuries, and the schedule looks very ripe for return yards during the FF playoffs... This week is when I'd be nervous to start him going up against PIT without Big Ben, but then next they get teams plenty capable of putting up points, WAS, DEN and NYG.

Really depends on what your options are. Could be both a safe and high-upside play after this week, but with the potential to be volatile as always.

BTW, nobody cares about your team n00b :moon:

I never actually said anything about my team, n00b, and I doubt I would pick him up with what I already have at WR. I noticed that he ranks pretty well in leagues that score returns and gets decent time at the WR position as well yet he's not ranked at all in The Huddle's rankings, nor is he mentioned in either of the free agent articles and rightfully so if your league doesn't include that type of scoring. But if it does I thought that it would be helpful to others looking for a waiver wire pickup. He's actually been pretty consistent in getting yardage on returns and he does throw in a score every now and then.

I don't quite agree with your argument about the defense struggling offering more opportunities. To the contrary, if the defense is playing well then he should be returning more punts vs taking the kneel down on kickoffs.

I don't quite agree with your argument about the defense struggling offering more opportunities. To the contrary, if the defense is playing well then he should be returning more punts vs taking the kneel down on kickoffs.

well that depends. if you are getting all return yards or just punts. if your defense is giving up a lot of points, your kr is going to get more opportunities to gain yards. if your defense is stingy, your punt returner should get a lot of opps to gain point. jones does both so he is a decent play and in leagues that award pts for all return yards i could see him being a solid start.

well that depends. if you are getting all return yards or just punts. if your defense is giving up a lot of points, your kr is going to get more opportunities to gain yards. if your defense is stingy, your punt returner should get a lot of opps to gain point. jones does both so he is a decent play and in leagues that award pts for all return yards i could see him being a solid start.

My point exactly and as an added bonus he's also a decent #3 WR for the Ravens.

I never actually said anything about my team, n00b, and I doubt I would pick him up with what I already have at WR. I noticed that he ranks pretty well in leagues that score returns and gets decent time at the WR position as well yet he's not ranked at all in The Huddle's rankings, nor is he mentioned in either of the free agent articles and rightfully so if your league doesn't include that type of scoring. But if it does I thought that it would be helpful to others looking for a waiver wire pickup. He's actually been pretty consistent in getting yardage on returns and he does throw in a score every now and then.

Just messing with ya...

True, I guess if they block on punts well, then that can help. It's just that punt return yardage is so much tougher to bank on, when a 5-10 yard return is a good one. You really have to hope they hit a big hole for it to help that much.

Edited by delusions of grandeur