[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Offensive Rookie of the Year

DMD

Who is the 2012 ROY?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for ROY?

• Robert Griffin III
    • Andrew Luck
    • Doug Martin
    • Someone else

Dude. You need to read that article again.

It was the wrong call.

No, but seriously re-read it and watch the video...in no way no-how does he say the wrong call was made...just that he "probably" would have called it an interception...that is far from saying it was the wrong call...and all the quotes come from the video...listen to it, seriously....but I get it, those that think it was the wrong call are staunchly sticking to that...my call is unbiased and based on what i saw and broke down...I had/have nothing to gain by taking this stance. Did you by chance click on the three links and read them and look at the images?

Yes. Clicked on all your links. That's not a simultaneous catch. Tate pushed off. Jennings intercepted it. Refs blew it. Period. All the still frames and rule book interpretations aren't gonna change my mind that that was a horrible, horrible call.

When Jennings catches it, Tate only has one hand on the ball. He gets the second on it once they've landed.

Edited by CaptainHook

Yes. Clicked on all your links. That's not a simultaneous catch. Tate pushed off. Jennings intercepted it. Refs blew it. Period. All the still frames and rule book interpretations aren't gonna change my mind that that was a horrible, horrible call.

When Jennings catches it, Tate only has one hand on the ball. He gets the second on it once they've landed.

We will just end up in a circular argument so no need to continue ...but answer me this....have you ever seen Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison or anyone else make a one handed catch?

And you are also incorrect that Tate only has both hands on the ball AFTER they both landed...this image shows Tate with BOTH feet down and two hands on the ball http://fullimpactfoo...eet-in-air1.jpg and this one is pretty good too http://seattletimes....nted_witho.html

And here, look at this and tell me who has their hand on it first (note that you can see Jennings helmet between his left hand and the ball) http://imageshack.us...irstcontact.jpg

You can't see it because you don't want to see it so there really is no need to go back and forth on it.

EDIT: and yes Tate pushed off, that was never a dispute and has nothing to do with what happened during the catch...they didn't call PI, they never do.

EDIT2: and ask yourself this...if Jennings did catch that ball and was in such a dominant position at the end of the play, how did he not walk away with the ball?

Edited by keggerz

"It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control."

Right, note the space between Jennings' hands(you can see his helmet)(Tate has the ball in his Left hand FIRST, and it never comes off, as you can tell from other images, and if it did he wouldn't have walked away with the ball)

And just in case it helps you...a sequence that shows the above and how Tate does indeed have his LEFT hand on it first

NFL rule for what defines a catch:

The following is from the NFL’s statement on what defines a catch as stated in Rule 8, Section 1.

“A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:

(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

( b )touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

( C ) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and ( b ) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).”

Note when Jennings FEET touch the ground....long after Tate had a hand on the ball, let alone added his second hand, and that Tate feet are clearly on the ground.

NFL rule for what defines a simultaneous catch:

Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 5 states:

“Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.”

And technically you honestly probably could never have a simultaneous catch

Seriously, you can't objectively look at all of the angles, the rule etc and say they ref may have actually made the right call? I get GB fans being bitter about it but does Manning's rookie passing TD record really matter that much to you that you can't look at this objectively?

Edited by keggerz

I missed that you wrote the bolded but do you still believe it to be true? image 1, image 2 (while you can't see it would you like to tell me where you think Tate's right hand is? Oh, and where are Jennings' feet? No, seriously, have they landed? See you being wrong on a subtlety like this just goes to show that you haven't really taken the time to analyze the catch and really look at every possible scenario...it pretty much shows you made your mind up and what you think you saw is what happened.
  • Like 1

I missed that you wrote the bolded but do you still believe it to be true? image 1, image 2(while you can't see it would you like to tell me where you think Tate's right hand is? Oh, and where are Jennings' feet? No, seriously, have they landed? See you being wrong on a subtlety like this just goes to show that you haven't really taken the time to analyze the catch and really look at every possible scenario...it pretty much shows you made your mind up and what you think you saw is what happened.

I saw it with my own two eyes. The referee from the game admitted they probably made a mistake. That's enough for me. But by all means, please continue to type. Edited by CaptainHook

Your own picture shows it. Look at the fourth picture of the series. Tate's right hand has come off of the ball. Jennings still has it firmly grasped in two hands. Tate later gets it back on the ball, but by that point, it's an interception.

Edited by CaptainHook

Your own picture shows it. Look at the fourth picture of the series. Tate's right hand has come off of the ball. Jennings still has it firmly grasped in two hands. Tate later gets it back on the ball, but by that point, it's an interception.

you don't need two hands to make a catch...both players are still in the air too

Well, then there have been a lot of "simultaneous catches" over the years that have gone uncalled if you only have to have one hand touching the ball.

so you are saying a player can't catch and possess a ball with one hand? But there is more to that catch because you can't establish possession in the air

Edit and I see what you did by saying, touching the ball...if he was just "touching" the ball it should have been extremely easy for Jennings to have taken it away

Edited by keggerz

Are we really rehashing "The Catch" again? :yawn:

I think Luck locked up the OROY with a win against a team fighting for a first round bye, best record in the NFL and made em look silly doing it. Yep...Luck is the OROY..hands down.

That's a tougher schedule than GB, Minny, Chicago, NE, and HOU twice? And let's be honest here, they didn't beat the Packers, and his rookie TD record should have an asterisk for that bad TD call.

Um no it's not harder, but they lost to the Jets, Bears, Jags Oh my!, NE and Hou. They did however beat Miami and Detroit which Seattle lost to on the road.

Wilson beat the Jets, Bears and NE and 49ers

The Colts played TENN and Jags Twice plus KC and Cleveland. 3 of the 4 might be the worst teams going right now in the NFL as I think the Browns are moving in the right direction.

You make it sound as if that GB game will determine weather or not he will get ROY and it won't. Asterisk are you serious ?

After RGIII game last night i'm guessing he's a lock, but all three are deserving. Luck's 18 interception might not help his cause but considering Newton threw 17 interceptions last year it really shouldn't hurt him either. Luck was given the reins right away and was asked to perform behind a weak o-line and pass a ton and ton he did. Who ever wins there all deserving and I think each fan base is insanely happy to have who they have under center. For the future looks bright for all three teams.

Edited by Seahawk

1. RGIII

2. Luck

3. Wilson

RGIII did some amazing stuff and gave the Redskins the title in their division. Luck turned a 2-14 team around and gave them a playoff chance. RGIII made less errors which could go in his favor. Wilson is down there because albeit yes he was good, he had help from a Great Running Game & a Great Defense. But still i have no idea because those 2 weeks where the Seahawks scored 50+ points is insane.

The award is for OFFENSIVE player of the year...when people rank offenses they look at yards and points

4,629 yards (Luck)

4,026 yards (RG3)

3,607 yards (RW)

180 pts (30 TDs, RW)

168 pts (28 TDs, Luck)

156 pts (26 TDs, RG3)

Wilson is barred from any possible post season award because of the replacement refs call in the Green Bay game. If that's not enough reason, he's not eligible because Marshawn Lynch ran for so many yards(yet you can disregard the fact that Morris ran for more yards than Lynch when considering RG III's merits). Furthermore, he can't win because his defense is too good(which means he didn't have/get to throw the ball a bazllion times a game like Luck, who naturally should end up with as many yards as he did all things considered). And a fourth reason is because Seattle at 7-9 was a much better team than the Colts or Redskins the year before(though everyone who points out that the Colts were 2-14 the year before forgets entirely that the year before that they were 10-6 and a playoff team and the only reason they went 2-14 was because of the absence of Manning, but obviously none of the talent from that 10-6 team is still there in Indy two years later). To top it all off, he should not be in the conversation because he was only a 3rd round pick and not one of the first two overall picks(who are pretty much expected make an impact immediately).

All sarcasm aside, if this were just about any other year than this one, any one of the three would be a lock to win the award. The only debate I'm really interested in at this point is whether this QB draft class is going to end up being better than the famous 1983 QB draft of Elway, Marino, and Kelly. It'll sure be fun as hell to see how that debate plays out.

Wilson just has too many things going against him. The team wasn't really that bad last year, good defense and good running game. So whatever accomplishments they have this year are not as big an improvement as Colts & Skins.

Plus he himself just doesn't carry the team (or offense) as much as Luck and RG3 do. Nor was he the flashy top 5 prospect like the other 2.

Agree that any of the 3 would be worthy, just that its more a toss up between the top 2, with Wilson a distant 3rd.