[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Two Teams are going to tie on purpose.

chuckbuddy69

Two Teams are playing each other with 6-6 records. They hold the last two playoff spots. Both teams have sat all their players this week to force a 0-0 tie. By doing this they will both be in the playoffs and the two teams behind them at 5-7 will now have no shot of making the playoffs. The best these two teams with 5-7 records can finish is 6-7 and that will not be enough to overcome the 6-6-1 records.

We play on Yahoo

Is there a rule against this?

Will they be able to sit all their players or will game mechanics force them to start players?

And this is why we have the "don't be a dick" rule. The catch-all that discourages looking for the angle rather than playing in the spirit of fair competition.

Were I commish, I'd let both players know that they either start a line-up or they'll both be ineligible for the post season.

• Like 3

There shouldn't need to be a rule. Some people here have referred to a simple "don't be a dick/mister" rule, which says, this is for fun (even if some $$ are involved) and owners should show some integrity and class in handling their team. Don't try to bend and stretch to rules to win, don't throw games, tank your team, collude with other owners, etc. (See while I was typing out my long winded response detlef hit the don't be a dick rule")

Others will say, tough chives, all's fair in love, war and fantasy football (up to and including collusion for some people).

Sadly if you have no rule in place, and no strong commissioner to step in (call BS and force the owners to set a valid line-up, or do it for them) you're out of luck.

This can be further complicated if the league is just a bunch of anonymous people on the internet, and nobody really cares about integrity or looking like a total dick.

Edited by stevegrab

Fe-reading the post, I have a feeling the OP isn't the commissioner and has no power to stop this. They are asking if Yahoo settings will allow it. My guess is yes they will. Is there even a commish that can address this, or is it some league where Yahoo is the commish? Hopefully if there is a commish they'll address it, unless of course the commish is one of the two tanking.

I know our CBS league will allow you to submit an incomplete line-up, there may be settings in various league management sites that will prevent this, or give them a zero score (which wouldn't matter because that is what they are after).

If you know these guys personally, I'd find them and give them some of this :wedgie::whack::nutkick::slap:

good lord, the stupidity gets worse and worse with every one of these posts. Post a poll or a message on the message board and let the entire league know what these 2 doushebags are pulling. I'd strongly demand the commissioner to expel both parties ASAP.

good lord, the stupidity gets worse and worse with every one of these posts. Post a poll or a message on the message board and let the entire league know what these 2 doushebags are pulling. I'd strongly demand the commissioner to expel both parties ASAP.

This.

And if the league refuses to do anything about it, this is what I'd do... I'd play their game and tell both of them that you convinced the other party to submit a lineup last-minute to get a free win and screw the other owner. See what happens then.

Well, maybe not such a good idea unless they give no other choice...

Gotta love America where everything has to be spelled out for some people to have common decency.

• Like 2

If it was me as the commish, I would submit a lineup based on the highest scorers from each position and not injured and lock them out.

We have a rule and our league that you must submit a competitive lineup. Commish has powers to make changes that are determential to the league. Benching everyone is an obvious Bush League move.

If it was me as the commish, I would submit a lineup based on the highest scorers from each position and not injured and lock them out.

We have a rule and our league that you must submit a competitive lineup. Commish has powers to make changes that are determential to the league. Benching everyone is an obvious Bush League move.

I'm not sure you have to go that far, unless it comes to that. As a commish, it should always be your last and only recourse to submit lineups for people, because it opens up a can-of-worms. If you do it this week, you have to do it the rest of the season, and someone going up against the team that makes the playoffs might get an easier win because you started someone who had more points on the season, but is not as good of a play currently. Maybe their best play is someone who didn't play much of the season or jsut came on strong. It's likely to make someone feel slighted.

If you were forced to do this, I would probably talk with the league and agree on a site that you will base their lineup on their rankings.

What I would do is this. Give them two choices. Either submit lineups and play it out, or be kicked out for collusion.... Since not everyone always realizes what constitutes collusion, I'd give them the opportunity to do it the right way. One thing's for sur,e if they want to compete for the playoffs, they have to actually compete, and certainly not collude.

And it is absolutely collusion, since it relies on 1) an agreement to defraud, usually secretive but doesn't have to be, and 2) it relies on that agreement above just what you can normally control, your team. It hinges on both teams agreeing to tank, when the essence of the game is to compete against one another. Further, tanking takes no skill, and should never be allowed, as it affects and defrauds teams who do it the right way.

I'm went with the assumption that the 2 owner were spoken to, but refused to make any changes.

The commish powers in my league are only inacted in a obvious manuever by said owner(s). There would have been poll, votes, and opions expressed by other owners before an action would be take that far.

But if this is a bunch of unknowns playing in the league, I would do that move in a heartbeat to preserve the integrity. If not, I also agree with the option of kick both players out of the league and continue on with the rest.

The point of Fantasy Sports is to be fun and competitive for all. The situation going on does not belong in Any League.

I'm went with the assumption that the 2 owner were spoken to, but refused to make any changes.

The commish powers in my league are only inacted in a obvious manuever by said owner(s). There would have been poll, votes, and opions expressed by other owners before an action would be take that far.

But if this is a bunch of unknowns playing in the league, I would do that move in a heartbeat to preserve the integrity. If not, I also agree with the option of kick both players out of the league and continue on with the rest.

The point of Fantasy Sports is to be fun and competitive for all. The situation going on does not belong in Any League.

Having never played in a league with a bunch of unknown players I don't even know how they work. Is there a real commish, or is it all just automated free Yahoo league stuff. Is there somebody to complain to and take action, or are you basically at the whim of Yahoo. (I recall discussions before about the Yahoo "do not cut" player list and other rules which seem forced on them, or not easily adjusted.)

Anyway, hope it all works out, because it is a very crappy way to play the game.

Thanks to all that posted. I am very happy to report that I forwared all your post to the league players and it was more then enough to guilt the offenders out of doing the said action.

Justice was serverd and again. Thanks for all your comments. It really helped to show the owners that it would have been a scumbag move.

Good Luck to all of you the rest of the season!

Chuck

Glad it worked out.

Regarding Yahoo and ability to do something about this kind of chit, I played in a Yahoo baseball league last year (so my grandson could get his first exposure to Fantasy sport). After the online draft, I realized that some Dill Josh Gordon had drafted nothing but catchers and relief pitchers, Naturally he could never field a complete lineup, and was losing every week 10-0. I complained to Yahoo, and asked them to let me assume role of commissioner and either eliminate the team completely, or better, to pick up sewrviceable players from the FAs to at least have a chance of beng competetive. I also suggested they ban this person from ANY Yahoo leagues in the future.Their response: nothing except to tell me they would take care of it in some mysterious fashion and their rules for this kind of thing were confidential because of privacy concerns!. All I ever saw was they changed the name to the team!

BTW, I actually only won 8-2 against them later in a week when Napoli had something like 6 HRs and a .400 average. Somebody else lost a point or 2 when one the RP became a starter, pitched 7 innings (the minimum to score points) and won ERA and Whip!

As a commish I feel its your job to uphold the integrity of the league. So even if there is no written rule about something you have to make judement calls. This is a situation where a judgement call needs to be made. I would lock them out of the league and submit a lineup for them. Then I would kick them both out of the league next year.

Glad it worked out.

Regarding Yahoo and ability to do something about this kind of chit, I played in a Yahoo baseball league last year (so my grandson could get his first exposure to Fantasy sport). After the online draft, I realized that some Dill Josh Gordon had drafted nothing but catchers and relief pitchers, Naturally he could never field a complete lineup, and was losing every week 10-0. I complained to Yahoo, and asked them to let me assume role of commissioner and either eliminate the team completely, or better, to pick up sewrviceable players from the FAs to at least have a chance of beng competetive. I also suggested they ban this person from ANY Yahoo leagues in the future.Their response: nothing except to tell me they would take care of it in some mysterious fashion and their rules for this kind of thing were confidential because of privacy concerns!. All I ever saw was they changed the name to the team!

BTW, I actually only won 8-2 against them later in a week when Napoli had something like 6 HRs and a .400 average. Somebody else lost a point or 2 when one the RP became a starter, pitched 7 innings (the minimum to score points) and won ERA and Whip!

Thanks for the feedback in playing in those type of leagues, I often wondered how they worked and who you went to with issues like this. I wouldn't expect much different from them, why should they care as long as you're spending time on their site.

In my main local, this would have cost both players $40, since we impose a fine of $5 per position for lineup errors/omissions. That would have helped prevent it.

In my main local, this would have cost both players $40, since we impose a fine of $5 per position for lineup errors/omissions. That would have helped prevent it.

Not really. Wouldnt you pay $40 to be guaranteed a playoff spot, if the pot was significantly more. Maybe not, but maybe so...

Edited by delusions of grandeur

Collusion and intentional tanking. I would tell them to submit a full lineup or kick them out of the league immediately.

Sorry but your response is absolute bullsh-t.

People that say stuff like "kick them out" or, "I'd quit the league" are ridiculous. You act as if leagues grow on trees or potential owners grow on trees.