[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions "moving on" from Titus Young

delusions of grandeur

Add this to the list of ways that Schwartz has instilled zero discipline in his players. Just wow:

Longtime center Dominic Raiola told reporters Friday that the Lions have "moved on" from Titus Young due to his selfish behavior.

Young attempted to sabotage the Lions' offense in Week 11 by lining up in the wrong place on the field, and was suspended for the Thanksgiving game. Don't expect to see him play much the rest of the way. "We've moved on from him," said Raiola. "He wants to be an a-hole, let him be an a-hole. It's not my problem. What we can control is the guys who want to be here. And when you act like that, you don't want to be here." Drop Young in re-draft leagues.

Source: Chris McCosky on Twitter

Well I'd say benching the guy after this BS was the right move. What other things was he doing before that which required discipline?

What exactly do coaches do to instill discipline in players? I know as a child I was scared to death of my father. And while I may have done some things my parents didn't approve of, I knew if I was caught I'd be in serious trouble. Do coaches in pro sports need to instill that kind of fear in their players? Can they go to far and have everybody playing scared?

Well I'd say benching the guy after this BS was the right move. What other things was he doing before that which required discipline?

What exactly do coaches do to instill discipline in players? I know as a child I was scared to death of my father. And while I may have done some things my parents didn't approve of, I knew if I was caught I'd be in serious trouble. Do coaches in pro sports need to instill that kind of fear in their players? Can they go to far and have everybody playing scared?

These are grown men and millionaires with egos, so no, I don't think you can instill that much fear in them, other than fear of losing that next paycheck (which may be the message sent here).

What you want is to instill a winning attitude with discipline.... I know Coach Smith calls out all and embarassesof the Falcons players that committed penalties or did something stupid, and the result is the least penalized team in the NFL, but at the end of the day, you want them to play to win (the right way), not to play scared.

Does this story make any sense to you guys? Why is he intentionally trying to sabotage the offense - is he a primadonna, is there some beef with someone? I don't recall him getting pulled from the week 11 game, which you'd think would be an immediate reaction to someone screwing with the team concept. Did he play that whole game?

I didn't notice them yanking Young during the week 11 game. The coaches may have thought he was just making mental errors until they saw the game film. Who could he possibly have a beef with? He was elevated to the WR2 when Burleson got hurt and remained there until this drama started playing out. Maybe the increase in targets to Broyles has Titus in a tizzy.

Broyles is the real deal. Let this chump go be an ahole somewhere else.....

I didn't notice them yanking Young during the week 11 game. The coaches may have thought he was just making mental errors until they saw the game film. Who could he possibly have a beef with? He was elevated to the WR2 when Burleson got hurt and remained there until this drama started playing out. Maybe the increase in targets to Broyles has Titus in a tizzy.

Broyles is the real deal. Let this chump go be an ahole somewhere else.....

While I think Broyles might be solid, I'd also watch Mike Thomas. He looked pretty darn good a couple years ago with the Jags, then faded once that dode Gabbert started throwing to him. Thomas looked pretty comfy in the Lion offense on Thanksgiving, too.

Well, I guess there's more money to be made for less work in...what is it he does again besides play football?

See, that's the thing, though. These guys know they can act like a-holes and be cancers to their team because (even if their current team cuts bait) there's another GM that will take them in and give them another shot. And another. And another. If the GMs worked together a bit they could all help each other not have to deal with as much crap from players. Instead, they undermine each other in their lust for winning. If some of these clowns got the message that being a nuisance to their team = no more current team AND no more lucrative job in the NFL, I believe we'd see a lot less non-sense from players. of course, I also believe some of these jokers are beyond thinking rationally/logically/at all.

See, that's the thing, though. These guys know they can act like a-holes and be cancers to their team because (even if their current team cuts bait) there's another GM that will take them in and give them another shot. And another. And another. If the GMs worked together a bit they could all help each other not have to deal with as much crap from players. Instead, they undermine each other in their lust for winning. If some of these clowns got the message that being a nuisance to their team = no more current team AND no more lucrative job in the NFL, I believe we'd see a lot less non-sense from players. of course, I also believe some of these jokers are beyond thinking rationally/logically/at all.

GM's working together so they wouldn't have to deal with this stuff would be the very definition of collusion.

GM's working together so they wouldn't have to deal with this stuff would be the very definition of collusion.

Yeah, to a certain extent it is. But I believe one of the things that defines collusion is intent to be secretive or deceitful. If the owners and League publicly implemented a more strict zero tolerance policy and really dropped the hammer on the knuckleheads, I bet green money some of these fools would suddenly find it easier to behave themselves. I am sure the players union would have something to say and it would be messy for a while but it would be better for the League (and society) in the long run. Entirely too many people act like deebags because they are not at all afraid of what will happen to them if they get caught.

Some men mature at an early age...some mature a bit later - others it takes longer. Some never will.

College football factory's with low moral coaches are to blame to a large degree.

Agreed. I am sure it goes back even further, too. Some of these guys have been given preferential treatment as soon as they displayed outstanding talent on the field/court/diamond/rink/etc. not surprising many become a-holes with false sense of entitlement and/or immunity to the laws of society

Depending on the severity of Broyles knee, they may be turning back to Young.

If I remember correctly - the announcers yesterday said initial reports on the sidelines said the injury wasn't serious and his return was probable - but he obviously never made it back in..

I don't buy the bit about coaches having no choice but to coddle these a-holes. Sure, once you start down that path, you've got no choice, and you're going to reap rewards from it from time to time. However, it seems like the guys who have sustained success don't put up with it.

The Patriots, for instance, will run you chight out of town if you start thinking you're too cool for them. I would imagine that has a perpetuating effect. You end with a team full of guys who are not full of crap. Which means, you end up with guys who stomp out BS before the coach even has to. And so on.

On the other hand, you've got a team like the Cowboys who have an owner thinking he can be the one to get a guy straight. So you end up with one a-hole after another and, not surprisingly, a team that is always more talented than they are good.

And it's the same in the college game. Everyone is bringing in marginal students, but the guys who are bringing in marginal people are the ones who inevitably end up losing one or two games that they shouldn't every year and falling short.

I think you're advocating collusion. Not sure the NFLPA would look too kindly upon that. Plus owners have every right to be idiots and not learn from others.