[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chiefs Player Commits Suicide

heehawks

My Dad, took his life 19 years ago today and it still affects me today. He was an amazing athelete and at 29 years old was dagnosed with multiple sclerosis and spent most of his last 20 years stricken to a wheelchair. After months of noticeable depression he called me to meet me for dinner. He was in the best mood I had seen him in for at least a year and little did I know his "mood" was because he had made the decision to end his life. 4 hours after we left the restaurant a policeman came to my home to give me the news. Worst day of my life.

I have gone through all the emotions of guilt, anger, resentment, shame, loss and while, yes, it is a very selfish act and destroys the lives of the ones left behind I have learned not to judge but to love and admire the man that he was while he was here. The greatest loss was that we both missd out on what could have been the best time of our lives .... when a son grows up and matures enough to realize just how special his Dad is/was. So many memories lost. I truly believe if the person choosing to end his life would see the devastation he leaves his choice would be a different one.

Edited by theprofessor

My Dad, took his life 19 years ago today and it still affects me today. He was an amazing athelete and at 29 years old was dagnosed with multiple sclerosis and spent most of his last 20 years stricken to a wheelchair. After months of noticeable depression he called me to meet me for dinner. He was in the best mood I had seen him in for at least a year and little did I know his "mood" was because he had made the decision to end his life. 4 hours after we left the restaurant a policeman came to my home to give me the news. Worst day of my life.

I have gone through all the emotions of guilt, anger, resentment, shame, loss and while, yes, it is a very selfish act and destroys the lives of the ones left behind I have learned not to judge but to love and admire the man that he was while he was here. The greatest loss was that we both missd out on what could have been the best time of our lives .... when a son grows up and matures enough to realize just how special his Dad is/was. So many memories lost. I truly believe if the person choosing to end his life would see the devastation he leaves his choice would be a different one.

Amen.

I had a co-worker murder his wife and than kill himself this summer. They had two very young kids. I talked to the guy 3 hours before he did it. There were no signs whatsoever that he was having problems. It was very hard for us to understand why he did it and his mentality because he was was a good guy. They didn't call off work or anything. It was actually better to go to work and talk about it with people.

IMO - Playing the game tomorrow as scheduled is the right thing to do. It will help the players and everybody who worked with him. They can than put him to rest a few days from now.

Edited by Outshined

I don't think Belcher should get a moment of silence at all. He killed his girlfriend in front of his girlfriend's mother, and then killed himself leaving an infant with no parents behind. If this was a normal guy doing that everyone would denounce him as Satan, the news would run it for a while, and everyone would call the guy a coward and chickens***. But since he plays in the NFL, for some reason, tons of people on Twitter are saying "RIP Belcher" or something to that extent, ridiculous.

Also bet Rick Reily wishes he could take back this tweet just about now....http://3432-chicago.voxcdn.com/files/2012/12/Screen-Shot-2012-12-01-at-4.49.51-PM.png

Ten years ago, two days before Thanksgiving, my sister was shot twice in the head by her husband and the f'er didn't have the courtesy to turn the gun on himself. He actually tried to set up a scene where he made it look like she did it herself. Two rounds behind her right ear and he laid her face up with the gun in her LEFT hand. Left two young sons behind (the youngest witnessed it and saw, "an apple coming out of mommy's head") and a family that grieves forever.

As far as the current topic, I am sure there will be a lot of speculation as to "what she did" to drive him to this. But, it doesn't matter! She and the child and the family didn't deserve this! If there are problems, you can't get along, be a man, walk away, let her go and do right by your child the best you can. This is as cowardly and evil as it gets. It is NOT the sign of a good man that suddenly went sideways for a minute! Lets not pretend here. This is a football player... A violent man in a violent sport that played a game for a living. Something had been broken for a while for this to be the end result (as was the case of my sis).

A friend of mine who is a psychiatrist once told me when I was dealing with the suicide of a co-worker, that the instant that some one pulls the trigger, jumps, slashes the artery, pops the pills, etc, is one of the purist definitions of insanity there is.

I have been around more death than most and not as much as others. I was on an operation where one of my fellow officers was shot and killed. Another op, we had to kill someone trying to kill us. As a lifeguard, I was obligated to giving CPR to a dead guy for what felt like hours (probably 5-7 minutes) until the paramedics showed up.

All of this pales in comparison to what our soldiers on the front lines experience! Do they get to call off the war for a day because they just saw their buddy get blown in half? Did they (the team) see a screaming soldier with 15 feet of intestine dangling out of the evac helicopter as it lifted him out of a hot LZ? My kids godfather was flying that bird and that was early in the day, one of many missions that day to get those troops out.

Should they play the game? Hell yes! I could see Romeo and the other coach skipping this one, but the team? Come on! It may seem very callous of this old guy, but man, we are getting way to soft as a society. Make grief counseling available and move forward the best you can. I always wanted to get back to work ASAP as I feel this HONORS their memory.

And as far as a "moment of silence"? Bah! Honoring the acts (or the perception thereof) of a weak cowardly and out of control football player is the LAST message I want sent to anyone on this matter.

Of all the death I have seen, being a "survivor" of having a family member murdered over senseless BS, has been the hardest to deal with. He was abusive and she (my sis) was going to leave him. F'n coward. To be honest, as much as I appreciated everyone's attempts at sympathy, it was usually more awkward for both the giver and definitely for me. The best thing to say is,"I know you hurt and I'm sorry for that." They will let you know somehow if more is needed or welcome. Having a moment of silence on the national stage for the victims at this point is premature and as I said, can send a lot of conflicting messages.

Edited by McBoog
  • Like 1

Forgive me if this is inappropriate, but I just saw this on Rotonews' Latest News, added some levity to an otherwise awful situation:

Belcher committed suicide outside of Chiefs facilities Saturday morning after allegedly killing his girlfriend, KMBC-TV Kansas City's Kris Ketz reports.

Recommendation (Subscriber-Only)

12/1/2012

Wondering how this affects Jovan Belcher's fantasy value?

Subscribe to RotoWire today to reveal our analysis of every player.

Just saw the report that the Chiefs are having a moment of silence for victims of domestic violence. They will also NOT have any black bands or anything related to Belcher on all of their uniforms. (unless of course, individual guys do it on their own)

But nothing sponsored by the Chiefs.

• Like 1

Forgive me if this is inappropriate, but I just saw this on Rotonews' Latest News, added some levity to an otherwise awful situation:

Belcher committed suicide outside of Chiefs facilities Saturday morning after allegedly killing his girlfriend, KMBC-TV Kansas City's Kris Ketz reports.

Recommendation (Subscriber-Only)

12/1/2012

Wondering how this affects Jovan Belcher's fantasy value?

Subscribe to RotoWire today to reveal our analysis of every player.

There is a time for levity, imo, this isn't one of them.

Just saw the report that the Chiefs are having a moment of silence for victims of domestic violence. They will also NOT have any black bands or anything related to Belcher on all of their uniforms. (unless of course, individual guys do it on their own)

But nothing sponsored by the Chiefs.

I think that is appropriate.

I don't think Belcher should get a moment of silence at all. He killed his girlfriend in front of his girlfriend's mother, and then killed himself leaving an infant with no parents behind. If this was a normal guy doing that everyone would denounce him as Satan, the news would run it for a while, and everyone would call the guy a coward and chickens***. But since he plays in the NFL, for some reason, tons of people on Twitter are saying "RIP Belcher" or something to that extent, ridiculous.

Also bet Rick Reily wishes he could take back this tweet just about now....http://3432-chicago....-4.49.51-PM.png

Actually he killed her in front of HIS own mother not the girlfriend's mom...not sure if that makes it even worse or not, but I would suspect if it had been his girlfriend's mom he may have "had to" kill her too as I bet she would have been screaming and trying to protect the daughter and granddaughter...and man I cannot imagine what HIS mom is going through after witnessing her own son murder his girlfriend? Just senseless and so very tragic.

Sorry if this sounds odd and insensitive...but prior to this event I thought it was a given that both Pioli and Romeo would be fired...does this tragedy somehow save their jobs - especially since it happened literally in their presence?

Prayers to the baby and whatever family member raises that little girl.

KO'd

Ten years ago, two days before Thanksgiving, my sister was shot twice in the head by her husband and the f'er didn't have the courtesy to turn the gun on himself. He actually tried to set up a scene where he made it look like she did it herself. Two rounds behind her right ear and he laid her face up with the gun in her LEFT hand. Left two young sons behind (the youngest witnessed it and saw, "an apple coming out of mommy's head") and a family that grieves forever.

As far as the current topic, I am sure there will be a lot of speculation as to "what she did" to drive him to this. But, it doesn't matter! She and the child and the family didn't deserve this! If there are problems, you can't get along, be a man, walk away, let her go and do right by your child the best you can. This is as cowardly and evil as it gets. It is NOT the sign of a good man that suddenly went sideways for a minute! Lets not pretend here. This is a football player... A violent man in a violent sport that played a game for a living. Something had been broken for a while for this to be the end result (as was the case of my sis).

A friend of mine who is a psychiatrist once told me when I was dealing with the suicide of a co-worker, that the instant that some one pulls the trigger, jumps, slashes the artery, pops the pills, etc, is one of the purist definitions of insanity there is.

I have been around more death than most and not as much as others. I was on an operation where one of my fellow officers was shot and killed. Another op, we had to kill someone trying to kill us. As a lifeguard, I was obligated to giving CPR to a dead guy for what felt like hours (probably 5-7 minutes) until the paramedics showed up.

All of this pales in comparison to what our soldiers on the front lines experience! Do they get to call off the war for a day because they just saw their buddy get blown in half? Did they (the team) see a screaming soldier with 15 feet of intestine dangling out of the evac helicopter as it lifted him out of a hot LZ? My kids godfather was flying that bird and that was early in the day, one of many missions that day to get those troops out.

Should they play the game? Hell yes! I could see Romeo and the other coach skipping this one, but the team? Come on! It may seem very callous of this old guy, but man, we are getting way to soft as a society. Make grief counseling available and move forward the best you can. I always wanted to get back to work ASAP as I feel this HONORS their memory.

And as far as a "moment of silence"? Bah! Honoring the acts (or the perception thereof) of a weak cowardly and out of control football player is the LAST message I want sent to anyone on this matter.

Of all the death I have seen, being a "survivor" of having a family member murdered over senseless BS, has been the hardest to deal with. He was abusive and she (my sis) was going to leave him. F'n coward. To be honest, as much as I appreciated everyone's attempts at sympathy, it was usually more awkward for both the giver and definitely for me. The best thing to say is,"I know you hurt and I'm sorry for that." They will let you know somehow if more is needed or welcome. Having a moment of silence on the national stage for the victims at this point is premature and as I said, can send a lot of conflicting messages.

I am so sorry to hear about your sister, as well as all those other incidents.

I find myself far to often saying "What is wrong with people".

I am so sorry to hear about your sister, as well as all those other incidents.

I find myself far to often saying "What is wrong with people".

Thank you sir.

I find strength in my faith. God loves us, but this does not make us immune to other's free will. What we all too often forget is that He does not promise we will always be happy. My daughter's hamster died this morning after my post... Go figure.

Thank you sir.

I find strength in my faith. God loves us, but this does not make us immune to other's free will. What we all too often forget is that He does not promise we will always be happy. My daughter's hamster died this morning after my post... Go figure.

My wife and I were just talking about something like this...I think I said something like "Why is it that God let's such bad things happen to people that do so much good?" Her answer was, "You don't know how much more worse stuff he may have protected them from".

And sorry about your daughter's hamster.

Wow, was listening to local news today, and heard that a Browns employee (a grounds keeper) was found dead at the teams practice facility Saturday morning. Strange that there was no mention of this on the Saturday or Sunday nightly news (or I misssed it).

http://www.examiner.com/article/browns-employee-suicide-hung-himself-nfl-team-s-equipment-shed