[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Matt Ryan Comiseration Thread

stethant

In that long diatribe I failed to mention one thing: It's not just the mediocrity of the pass defenses they're facing, but the fact that all 4 of the next matchups feature offenses that can score at will, and can hand you a loss if you don't get ahead or keep up.

I think Cam (as of late), Eli, Stafford and Freeman if your league goes to week 17, all give some nice incentive for the Falcons to not take their foot of the gas, aided by defenses that will let you score if you have enough opportunities.

Carolina may be the wildcard with them being susceptible to the run too, but with it being a divisional game, I don't expect them to just lay down or for the Falcons to step off the gas and give them a chance.

I'm going with freeman over Ryan. I don't buy into the "win with what go you there" win with what works. Ryan has choke potential and won't be looking to light the score board up with a playoff spot assured. Freeman is more consistent IMO and at home against an eagles D that is horrible against qb's in a fantasy stand point

Well in my league a QB sack is minus one, against the quarter back, so sacks actually matter. Ryan takes more than his share and adds nothing in the running game. Josh could be a pretty good runner, but I believe he wants to be known as a good passing quarterback, not a an athletic QB, so he avoids scrambling.

Best case scenario for Freeman starters is that Martin does not have a big day.

Best case scenario for Freeman starters is that Martin does not have a big day.

+1

I'm going with Ryan over Freeman for this reason. This could easily be a Doug Martin day, whereas passing is Atlanta's bread and butter. Ryan will have to throw the ball to win the game, So this should be a big game for all receivers and Ryan 250 2 is the minimum...

Yes, Martin is a concern, no doubt. I'm not saying I won't start Ryan again if I win, but I do think that Freeman has more upside this week. The Eagles gave Dallas a good run. They're a proud team, Reid will have them prepared. TB will have to throw more than you might think to win it.

Yes it seems no matter my choice, I always pick the wrong player. Looking at the past results, match ups don’t seem to make a difference. How else can B Myers who I did not start against Cleveland (did not start based on huddle advise and bad weather) goes for 13-120-1. Then I start him against the worst pass De against TE (Denver) and he goes 1 for just 7 yards.

So last week I started Freeman over Ryan and it cost me 8 points in our scoring. Luckily, Hernandez bailed me out last night and I am still alive. Fast forward to this week and it's a tough call again, IMO. Ryan home (where he's usually pretty good) vs the Gmen who have a good pass rush but secondary can be had. Freeman is at the Aints whose D was awful this year but a little tougher lately. Could see this game turning into a complete shoot out more so than the NYG v ATL game (though that could have a lot of scoring, too).

From reading this thread, I know there are a few others with both Ryan and Freeman. Which way are you leaning this week? :thinking:

Edited by Delicious_bass

I'm starting to put together my pros & cons lists for the Freeman / Ryan debate this week.

• Both indoors, but edge to Ryan playing at home with better receiving weapons all around.
  • Both facing weaker secondaries, but edge to Freeman since I don't think NO generates quite as tough a pass rush as the GIANTS. Ryan has been sacked more than I'd like lately, and isn't as crisp as he can be when rushed to make his reads & get the ball out.
  • Tampa Bay has the better running game, and thus could lean on that more to keep Brees & Co. off the field as much as possible, advantage Ryan.
  • Actually glad the Falcons lost last week, they are still playing for the bye and home field advantage.
  • Tampa Bay still playing for an outside shot at a wild card spot.

It's tough, and I'm sure I won't make a final determination until Sunday morning, but at this point I'm still riding with Matt Ryan. You can bet I'll be back on this thread later.