[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

*Noob to FF*, are the playoffs tactics different from regular season?

e5volcano

Hi there, first timer playing Fantasy Football and I have secured a position in the playoffs which start week 15 for my league.

Just wondering if there are different strategies/tactics that go into the playoffs vs the regular season.

For example, would you always start your stars even if they play on a team that has secured a playoff spot? For ex: The Broncos would probably rest Manning right, or have him play limited time, is that better than starting an average-good player who will play the whole game?

Thanks

Teams will not begin resting players until they've secured (or lost) the #1 seed for homefield advantage or top 2 seed for a first round bye. Many of these races might not be decided until week 15,16,17...

But a player is definitely a risk once those races have been decided, unless the team comes out and tells you they're going to play most of the game.... I mean yes, they could still put up better numbers in a quarter or half than your other options, but certainly nothing close to a guarantee of that.

So pretty much, if they have nothing to play for, then err on the side of them not playing much, though there will usually be reports addressing these situations. That's all you can really do. There is no set strategy to dealing with players sitting.

If you can still add drop, take a week by week view of things. Try to grab the player or DST projected to do the most damage in the current week.

If your roster is set for the current week, have a look at the following week. If you have your eye on a free agent with a good matchup that week, go ahead and grab him next. Even if you don't use him, he cannot be used against you....heck, this can apply to the current week as well.

And one last thing Always Start Your STUDS!

Edited by CowboysDiehard

If you can still add drop, take a week by week view of things. Try to grab the player or DST projected to do the most damage in the current week.

If your roster is set for the current week, have a look at the following week. If you have your eye on a free agent with a good matchup that week, go ahead and grab him next. Even if you don't use him, he cannot be used against you....heck, this can apply to the current week as well.

And one last thing Always Start Your STUDS!

ASYS - unless they are not studs anymore, like Larry Fitzgerald

Congrats on making the playoffs. There's nothing really groundbreaking - you just need to remember that you're no longer preparing for a season but a 3-4 week window. Instead of mining for sleeper/lottery ticket type players - you want to know who can help you right now.

Depth becomes less important - you need to win for a month, not make it through a whole season. Not saying take uneccessary risks, but be realistic. All that matters are the playoff games - there is no long view beyond that.

Early in the season your bench might be full of RBs and WRs you're hoping will pop. Personally, I usually don't have a back up kicker, defense, or QB on my team (unless I'm trying to platoon for match-ups).

Now lining up what you consider the best defensive or K match-up can be worth a lot more than extra depth. forget about guys with injuries who won't be back in time. If you think a stud player might sit in week 15 or 16, line-up back-ups just in case. If there's an opponent still in who was counting on MJD to be back this weekend - nabbing Owens is definitely worth it.

Other teams will be doing the same thing. So, even if you have the Bears and plan on riding them to the end - taking the defenses facing teams such as AZ or PHI out of the FA pool so they're not used against you, is a better use of your bench spots than holding onto 2nd & 3rd back-up RB's and WR's. If there's a player who I know I'll no longer start because of match-ups he's also droppable.

Any player who I don't think will start for me, probably won't hurt me on an opponent's team, and I don't consider a necessary back up is droppable. For example - there's a guy in one league who's holding onto Vick still - there aren't any holes in his starting line-up but he's still not helping himself.

hope some of that helps.