[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ouch ... I hate when that happens

Grits and Shins

In one of my 12 team leagues this year the playoff format is set up in a similar fashion as the NFL in that there are two conference each with two divisions of 3 teams. Each conference sends 2 division winners and 1 wildcard to the playoffs. And like the NFL the playoffs occur within the conferences until each conference has a conference champion and then the conference champions player for the title.

This is an unusual year in that one conference totally dominated the other. The two division winners in one conference are the ONLY teams in that conference with winning records. Which means:

1) The wildcard from one of the conferences has a losing record (6-7)

2) Two teams with winning records from the other conference missed the playoffs (8-5)

Then to make matters worse, the tie-breaker rules are a little lacking in my opinion. H2H has to be a clean sweep AND division record is not considered. One of our divisions (in the dominate conference) has three teams tied at 8-5. Because of the playoff format only the division winner will make the playoffs (because a team in the other division will be the wildcard with a record of 9-4). No team had a clean sweep of the other two teams in their division, although one had a 3-1 record while the other two had 2-2 records. As it turns out the team with the superior division record misses the playoffs because his total points on the year is just under 30 points less than another division mate. OUCH.

I do not understand how division record is NOT considered when determining the division winner!

Edited by Grits and Shins

In one of my 12 team leagues this year the playoff format is set up in a similar fashion as the NFL in that there are two conference each with two divisions of 3 teams. Each conference sends 2 division winners and 1 wildcard to the playoffs. And like the NFL the playoffs occur within the conferences until each conference has a conference champion and then the conference champions player for the title.

This is an unusual year in that one conference totally dominated the other. The two division winners in one conference are the ONLY teams in that conference with winning records. Which means:

1) The wildcard from one of the conferences has a losing record (6-7)

2) Two teams with winning records from the other conference missed the playoffs (8-5)

Then to make matters worse, the tie-breaker rules are a little lacking in my opinion. H2H has to be a clean sweep AND division record is not considered. One of our divisions (in the dominate conference) has three teams tied at 8-5. Because of the playoff format only the division winner will make the playoffs (because a team in the other division will be the wildcard with a record of 9-4). No team had a clean sweep of the other two teams in their division, although one had a 3-1 record while the other two had 2-2 records. As it turns out the team with the superior division record misses the playoffs because his total points on the year is just under 30 points less than another division mate. OUCH.

I do not understand how division record is NOT considered when determining the division winner!

Posted like an 8-5 team!

Sorry for your misfortune. But next time start the players that will . . . . . get you into the right congerence.

As I pointed out in another thread earlier, our league (3 divisions of 4 teams) felt that H2H was a bad tie breaker and removed it, making division record the first thing we use (only if teams are in the same division) to break a tied record. The next/final tie breaker is total points, and we've never needed another tie breaker (but our rules dictate some sort of coin-toss or other gentleman's agreement).

This year we almost had a scenario where 3 teams in one division were tied at 6-7, two of them with 2-4 division record and significantly higher points (1st and 2nd in the league), while the other team was 4-2 in division, and much lower points (bottom half). Had this happened the team that was 4-2 would advance from that division, and would have been the final wild card. But one game went the wrong way so we had 7-6, 6-7 and 5-8, with 7-6 making the playoffs.

Another thing we do that mimics the NFL playoffs is for wild card, you need to determine the best team in each div/conf being compared to others, then compare them using all your tie breakers if necessary to find the best one. Keep doing that until all wild card slots are filled. You don't make a pool of all teams with the same record and decide which is best amongst them.

At a minimum in your league I'd insert division record between H2H and total points (but only for teams in the same division), becuase it is important. Curious if it is used to decide division winners in case of a tie, or if H2H and points are the only criteria.

Dang it made me dizzy just reading the playoff rules ,, did the rest of the league understand them when the playoff teams were announce or was there an uproar ?

I was the owner who got completely screwed over for a playoff spot that I should've earned it was confusing to understand at first. I went into the week, not really clear on the way the rules were, feeling as though I had a great shot at being in the playoffs with either a win or another owner losing, only to find out that it didn't matter how I did as even though I'd be 8-5, an owner who is 6-7 with over 200 pts less than me would get the last playoff spot regardless. And no, I didn't create an uproar, rather I just expressed that I'm a little pissed and deflated and I left it be.

I'm really hoping that as I follow the playoffs in that league that, had my team been in, that I wouldn't have made it far or possibly even place. It won't feel to good to know that I should've been in it and if I had been that I could've placed, won and in general taken home some extra cash. Just trying to move on from it. I wish the best to the guys in the playoffs, in that league, even to the guy who has what should be my spot as it's not his fault.

Edited by irish

Irish that really does suck, and a shame that your rules are not better, or more easily understood or better explained by the commish. I had a newer owner in our league asking me detailed questions about playoff chances, I did my best to explain, and then posted a league message that covered most of that.

Our leauge used to be setup in a way where you'd see what happened in your league. We used to have 2 division/conferences with 6 teams each, division winner and best 2 from each division made the playoffs. So an 8-5 team in 1 division might be 4th in their division and out of the playoffs, while a 6-7 could be 3rd in the other division and go.

Going to 3 divisions of 4 and allowing the wild cards to come from any division removed the chance that a team with a truly better record missed the playoffs.

I was the owner who got completely screwed over for a playoff spot that I should've earned it was confusing to understand at first. I went into the week, not really clear on the way the rules were, feeling as though I had a great shot at being in the playoffs with either a win or another owner losing, only to find out that it didn't matter how I did as even though I'd be 8-5, an owner who is 6-7 with over 200 pts less than me would get the last playoff spot regardless. And no, I didn't create an uproar, rather I just expressed that I'm a little pissed and deflated and I left it be.

I'm really hoping that as I follow the playoffs in that league that, had my team been in, that I wouldn't have made it far or possibly even place. It won't feel to good to know that I should've been in it and if I had been that I could've placed, won and in general taken home some extra cash. Just trying to move on from it. I wish the best to the guys in the playoffs, in that league, even to the guy who has what should be my spot as it's not his fault.

Except that isn't what happened. The 6-7 team is from a different conference, a 9-4 team got the wildcard over your 8-5 team as it should be. The problem is you probably should have won your division, not that you got screwed out of being the wildcard.

Except that isn't what happened. The 6-7 team is from a different conference, a 9-4 team got the wildcard over your 8-5 team as it should be. The problem is you probably should have won your division, not that you got screwed out of being the wildcard.

True, as I certainly should've won my division by division H2H match ups. However, seeing the 6-7 team in there just adds the insult to injury.

Irish that really does suck, and a shame that your rules are not better, or more easily understood or better explained by the commish. I had a newer owner in our league asking me detailed questions about playoff chances, I did my best to explain, and then posted a league message that covered most of that.

Our leauge used to be setup in a way where you'd see what happened in your league. We used to have 2 division/conferences with 6 teams each, division winner and best 2 from each division made the playoffs. So an 8-5 team in 1 division might be 4th in their division and out of the playoffs, while a 6-7 could be 3rd in the other division and go.

Going to 3 divisions of 4 and allowing the wild cards to come from any division removed the chance that a team with a truly better record missed the playoffs.

This is what should happen. Also The tie-breakers should've been different and that would've addressed the issues. But, there's nothing that can be done for this year.